The Derek Chauvin trial {Mod Edit: Guilty on all charges} (1 Viewer)

True , even though my opinion was the same as Saintman2884 , I get hammered and he gets hindsight , thanks friend .

I think the difference is his approach. I think approach to the subject does matter and 2884 is more thorough in stating why he thinks that way.

But ultimately hindsight is indeed 20/20. But even with hindsight, I still think there was no good way for bystanders to intervene. If they intervene, we have a worse catastrophe, with multiple people possibly being shot/killed and Chauvin probably gets away with this.

dont understand how the thread on the trial turned into another racist debate. i understand a white cop murdered a black civilian. but lets try to stay on the thread topic.

I'm assuming you are being sarcastic in that you don't understand how the thread could go that way.

A lot of people wanted this whole issue of Floyd's murder to be laser focused on police accountability that is desperately needed, but that didn't happen. Instead it was all coopted to a race issue and we got BLM that was used politically and then discarded once they were no longer useful.

Systemic racism IS the thread topic.

Its not though. The thread is about a trial of a cop who murdered someone. From what I am hearing race was not mentioned in the trial. We also KNOW that police have and will kill people of any color. The issue is police accountability.

If Floyd had been low income, redneck trailer park guy with Floyd's same record and history with Chauvin, it likely would have gone the same way.

Its not though. The thread is about a trial of a cop who murdered someone. From what I am hearing race was not mentioned in the trial. We also KNOW that police have and will kill people of any color. The issue is police accountability.

If Floyd had been low income, redneck trailer park guy with Floyd's same record and history with Chauvin, it likely would have gone the same way.

I'll just say that while the trial is the primary topic of the thread, there is room for discussion issues regarding race and systemic racism. We can have that discussion without veering too far off into politics.

Seeing the video for the first time since last summer did have an effect on me

Even though it's burned into my memory, and it was exactly as I remembered it actually seeing it again was more emotional that I would have thought
========================================================

As the Derek Chauvin trial is nationally televised and livestreamed this week, Americans have once again been exposed to the May 2020 video of the former police officer driving his knee into George Floyd's neck as he repeatedly said, "I can't breathe," in his dying moments.

These images may rekindle feelings of racial trauma, with mental health experts warning that watching the trial could have profound emotional and psychological consequences for Black Americans.

"Revisiting the events connected to George Floyd's death serve as a visual reminder of the devaluing of Black life and the potential costs associated with racism and discrimination," said Steven Kniffley Jr., a clinical psychologist and assistant professor at Spalding University's School of Professional Psychology.

Research shows that repeated exposure to racism, such as watching the televised trial, is associated with a host of psychological consequences, including depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, substance-use disorders and suicide.

Dr. BraVada Garrett-Akinsanya, a clinical psychologist and executive director of the African American Child Wellness Institute, said rewatching the dramatic death of Floyd on television and social media can have devastating mental health impacts, a phenomenon called vicarious, or secondary, trauma.

"Symptoms of vicarious or secondary trauma include, but may not be limited to, difficulty managing emotions, feeling emotionally numb or shut down, experiencing fatigue, sleep disturbances, flashbacks or intrusive memories, physical problems or complaints, such as aches, pains and decreased resistance to illness," Garrett-Akinsanya said...........

Mental health experts warn Chauvin trial may revive feelings of racial trauma (msn.com)

it's literally impossible for it not to be
does not have to be the only thing the trail (and thus thread) is about but there exists no venn circle about this that does not overlay with race esp systemic racism

even more precisely, trying to force the trial/thread to NOT be about race is more disingenuous than an open discussion

I know what you're saying, but, I'll push back a bit and say yeah, it's most often whites who say that. I've got more than a few non-white friends who say that, and of course there are some whites who don't say that. Several on this very thread.

And, sure, that statement isn't true, not just for black people, but for all kinds. Black and brown certainly get the worst of the abuse, yes.

The rest I completely agree with.
this might not be the thread for it, but there is a distinction between caucasians and Wypipo

this might not be the thread for it, but there is a distinction between caucasians and Wypipo

Actually I haven't heard the distinction made before. Well, actually, I'd never heard the term Wypipo until yesterday when I was mentioned and I didn't really think about it. Maybe we need a thread. :9:

Do I think this should be about racism? No, I don't. But am I going to convince anyone? No. I mean, I think this is about police procedures and dumb cops possibly drunk with the power of a badge. Do I have an answer for it? No, because that's exactly what attracts the kind of person who will use that like a weapon. This gives me a headache thinking about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom