The Derek Chauvin trial {Mod Edit: Guilty on all charges} (1 Viewer)

Well, its too late for that now. They have already seen it. Sequestering them now won't help that aspect.

The judge could have sequestered them though and chose not to.
I think this is giving the defense a strong appeal case.

I think the situation the jury is in makes me lean towards saying it will be difficult for Chauvin to get a fair trial. It really should have been moved to another city. Maybe one where the outcome would have less of a possibility of the jury's houses/businesses being burned down based on the verdict.

I think the situation the jury is in makes me lean towards saying it will be difficult for Chauvin to get a fair trial. It really should have been moved to another city. Maybe one where the outcome would have less of a possibility of the jury's houses/businesses being burned down based on the verdict.

Where would they move it? The no place in this country that hasn't been exposed to the Floyd killing or the Wright shooting.

Yeah, I think the jury should have been sequestered from the word go. Leaving the possibility of a tainted jury doesn't make me feel good about an appeals court upholding a guilty verdict. That's on the judge imo.

Where would they move it? The no place in this country that hasn't been exposed to the Floyd killing or the Wright shooting.

Move it to another city where the jury doesn't feel like their lives might be threatened by a "wrong" verdict...I think. The ship has already sailed though. We're well past the moving debate.

I still think not sequestering the jury to begin with was a mistake imo.

I agree that everyone has heard of it, but everyone is not in jeopardy of the rioting to the same degree that Minneapolis is likely to see with a not guilty verdict.
Its basically in the jury's best interest to say guilty.

Yep. I thought about this for a while yesterday. What would I do if I were on the jury? Let's say I felt the defense had shown reasonable doubt to result in an acquittal or negligence charge with minimum sentencing. (and honestly so far there's a lot to suggest this may be the outcome - it's not a slam dunk case despite the media headlines and narratives) Would I have the guts to do what was right thereby putting my family in danger? Would I have to uproot my life and start over somewhere else? There's no way the jury isn't influenced by this line of thinking, not to media solicitations and book deals.

but does anyone really think that that hasn't crossed the minds of every juror in this trial? even before what happened with the Wright incident? I think that was on their minds the moment they got selected.

but does anyone really think that that hasn't crossed the minds of every juror in this trial? even before what happened with the Wright incident? I think that was on their minds the moment they got selected.

Probably, but I'm just not sure how an appellate court would view. Is a truly impartial jury even possible?

because he's guilty

If this was Guidomerkinsrulesistan it might be up to you to say that, but its not. Its up to these jurors who may have their house burned down (at random or otherwise) if they give any not guilty verdict.

Also, if they give not guilty on the 2nd degree murder and guilty on 3rd degree, the corporate press headline will probably be "George Floyd murderer Chauvin found not guilty."

Yeah, the defense would be crazy to put him on the stand, so really, the only other choice they really have is to find some way to raise doubt in the jury's mind about Chauvin's motives. But, they're in a pickle. They can't claim he was trained to do what he did becuase the police chief essentially ruled that out. They can't claim Floyd died solely because of his health because the ME shot that idea down. Hard to see what else the defense could do. The only question is whether guilty on all counts and how long the sentencing would be.

Sadly, what else the defense can do is what often happens.

Try to paint George Floyd as a 'bad dude' who either directly provoked the police and therefore deserved what he got or maybe was was someone that the world is better off without

Did he make any anti-cop twitter or facebook posts after any of the other high profile cases?

Any other controversial posts about anything (sexist, homophobic, transphobic, etc.) that make you cringe when you read them?

Maybe he didn't just use drugs, maybe he sold them too

Did he cheat on his girlfriend? Maybe he had a secret mistress at the time of his death?

None of which is remotely relevant, but I fully expect it as being the only card they can play (other than their medical experts saying that the prosecution's experts are full of it)

And I fully expect that the defense is going to make me very angry

If this was Guidomerkinsrulesistan it might be up to you to say that, but its not. Its up to these jurors who may have their house burned down (at random or otherwise) if they give any not guilty verdict.

Also, if they give not guilty on the 2nd degree murder and guilty on 3rd degree, the corporate press headline will probably be "George Floyd murderer Chauvin found not guilty."
that's a dangerous bogeyman conspiracy you're peddling - assuming the possibility that "they" will riot and murder bc they don't like the outcome of a fair trial

as an anti-statist you seem to be carrying a lot of water for the state actor in this trial

and we all know that if this was GMRistan there would have been a smooth jazz combo dispatched to help everyone chill out and not kerosene soaked rags thrown on a spark

When I was a young homicide prosecutor in Brooklyn, we would often hear stories of the old "lifers" in the office who regularly got convictions using outrageously inflammatory rhetoric rather than hard evidence. One of these legendary district attorneys was forever irritated by defense attorneys who always sat the defendant's mother, dressed in her Sunday best,in the front row of the courtroom. The mothers always believed in their child's innocence. Tears flowed down their cheeks at key points in the prosecutor's case.

One legendary Brooklyn prosecutor, according to office lore, had an answer to the sympathy ploy. "Even a snake has a mother," he would tell the jury.

Derek Chauvin undoubtedly has a mother, too, but if she is still alive, she has not been seen at her son's murder trial. The visitor chair set aside for Chauvin's family was removed earlier in the trial because no one was using it (though it was returned late last week, and on Friday was occupied by an unidentified woman).

Family members and supportive off-duty cops often pack courtrooms when officers are on trial for alleged crimes involving arrests of suspects. But both have been conspicuously absent thus far in the Chauvin trial. And while support for cops runs deep, and officers are more likely than civilians to be acquitted when they use deadly force, there are signs that this case may not follow the usual pattern...........

The fatal obstacles for Chauvin's defense (opinion) (msn.com)

that's a dangerous bogeyman conspiracy you're peddling - assuming the possibility that "they" will riot and murder bc they don't like the outcome of a fair trial

as an anti-statist you seem to be carrying a lot of water for the state actor in this trial

and we all know that if this was GMRistan there would have been a smooth jazz combo dispatched to help everyone chill out and not kerosene soaked rags thrown on a spark

I'm pretty sure my stance on police and the state is established on the board. My comments are about how I see this playing out in our current garbage super-statist system that should absolutely be dismantled.

Its no conspiracy theory that a not-guilty verdict will end in rioting. Is anyone really betting that it won't?

I agree that everyone has heard of it, but everyone is not in jeopardy of the rioting to the same degree that Minneapolis is likely to see with a not guilty verdict.
Its basically in the jury's best interest to say guilty.

Well, think back to the Rodney King trial. The riots started (in part) in Simi Valley, where the jury acquitted the officers, and not in Los Angeles County, where the incident actually happened.

Riots based on the verdict will happen where the trial happens, at least to some degree.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom