The Derek Chauvin trial {Mod Edit: Guilty on all charges} (1 Viewer)

I looked it up and it ranges from a misdemeanor to a felony depending on circumstances. I'd guess Floyd had a record so that pushed it to felony, but not being a lawyer could be totally misreading that. At any rate, the death penalty wouldn't apply I'm almost 100% certain, however arrest would seem appropriate.

This seems a decent write up that doesn't have a lot of spin so much as fact. Some will argue with the title and it is a legitimate argument imho until a jury has decided.

There've been some reports that Chauvin and Floyd worked at a night club and had some turbulent history. This makes me think there's more than we'll ever know to the story. I'm not qualified to judge Chauvin so will trust to the system even if I have some issues with how it works. It's much better than vigilante justice or unruly mobs.

That makes some sense. Thanks. To me, it should be something like what the penalties for theft would be. Usually thefts below a certain amount would be considered a misdemeanor. The same maybe should apply for counterfeit money.

That said, isn't counterfeit money under the jurisdiction of federal law? Wouldn't that involve the Secret Service? I thought they handled counterfeit currency issues?

Rewinding a bit, I think the store manager was at least partly responsible for this. All that over a pack of smokes? If I'm a manager, I just let it go unless it's someone who is a repeat offender. Floyd didn't deserve what what happened to him regardless.

Last edited:
One side has guns, tazers, pepper spray, and the ability to arrest you for interfering with an arrest. And yes, they might have saved Floyd's life, but at the expense of finding themselves in jail.

Let's not blame the bystanders for Chauvin being a murderer.
They shouldn't be blamed, Brandon, but if their 25-30 bystanders surrounding a couple of racist, butt crevasse cops brutally, viciously holding a man down on the ground on the top of his neck, preventing him from breathing, they might be able to hurt maybe a couple of bystanders rushing in and stopping the choke hold, but they'd overwhelm them by mere force of numbers and yes, most of them probably wouldve eventually been found, arrested, and put in jail. Likely also convicted of interfering in the conduct of a "lawful arrest", but that video still wouldve existed of those cops brutally holding Floyd's face down to the pavement and gives them a very strong, powerful defense of attempted murder as a reason for interfering.

Yep. I do ask myself what I would have done in that situation. I'd like to think I could have done something. But until I've been put in that exact scenario or something very similar, I really don't know what I would have done.

Sort of makes me think of the recent attack on the Asian American woman who brutally attacked and the people by the door of the building where it happened just stood there doing nothing. Makes me sick thinking about it.

The Chauvin murder was made worse because the police are supposed to be trusted public servants. Those people standing around wanted to believe that the cops would figure out they needed to get off of him when he stopped resisting (I'd argue he never really resisted like I would if cops were on top of me).

I completely understand why no one physically intervened. The real right answer is the cops allowed this to happen. I'm not really sure what the bystanders could do other than make an already terrible situation worse.

+1

Darnell Frazier, a teenager -- I want to reiterate, a teenager -- a witness in this case, the person responsible for the viral video, said this, "It has been nights I stayed up apologizing and apologizing to George Floyd for not doing more and not physically interacting and not saving his life. Its not what I should have done, it's what he should have done (speaking of former Officer Chauvin)."

This isn't about what any witness should have done or theorizing what we would do in this situation. That ignorantly shifts the focus from the party culpable. This is about Chauvin, not us. As a black American, here is what is frustrating. We constantly hear comply, comply, comply. Just get profiled. Just get followed. Just answer their questions. Just give them your ID. Just let them hold you at gunpoint. Just let them handcuff you. Comply, and you'll live. And, yet, here is a poster saying "had I been there I would have done something!" Essentially saying he wouldn't have complied to orders to stand back. Well, which the hell is it?! Comply like Philando and still get shot? Comply like this crowd and watch George die and then categorized as an angry mob by the defense? The terms and rules shouldn't bend and change for black Americans.

This isn't about compliance or non-compliance for me. This is about the dehumanizing of black life. For Chauvin, at some point, Floyd's life wasn't deemed valuable or of worth. His potential criminality outweighed his humanity. He was executed, in the street, for the crime of fraud.

Are we comfortable with that?

They shouldn't be blamed, Brandon, but if their 25-30 bystanders surrounding a couple of racist, butt crevasse cops brutally, viciously holding a man down on the ground on the top of his neck, preventing him from breathing, they might be able to hurt maybe a couple of bystanders rushing in and stopping the choke hold, but they'd overwhelm them by mere force of numbers and yes, most of them probably wouldve eventually been found, arrested, and put in jail. Likely also convicted of interfering in the conduct of a "lawful arrest", but that video still wouldve existed of those cops brutally holding Floyd's face down to the pavement and gives them a very strong, powerful defense of attempted murder as a reason for interfering.

The thing is, cops are supposed to be public servants. People shouldn't need to do anything.

To be fair, Christopher Darden did have some reservations earlier on about whether he trusted the integrity, honesty, or sincerity of that ex-LAPD racist cop when he met him pretrial to get his opinions of arriving at Nicole Brown Simpson's residence to examine the crime scene and although LA District Attorney's office didnt know full details of his past racist comments, Darden just had a negative, overall impression about the vibe or "aura" he emanated.

The LAPD's crime scene lab technicians forked up the blood analysis,.blood spatter evidence and created a very real, tangible impression of LAPD railroading or setting up one more famous African-American celebrity for two first-degree murders. Those crime scene lab technicians hurt prosecution's case for using DNA long before it could have been potentially used as an effective weapon.

The glove may have been a mistake, but it was used because clearly there's a picture of O.J. wearing it before.covering sidelines at a Bills NBC televised game the year before or a few years before. It belonged to him, he owned it, as well as those "ugly arse shoes" he claimed at the civil trial taped deposition he never wore or wore repeatedly.

In the final analysis, O.J.'s defense team was far more tactical, smarter, adept, and probably 2-3 steps ahead of the prosecution in terms of answering and returning their claims. Cochran knew the LAPD had a dark, troubled history of racial discrimination, violence, lack of smart, effective community policing and their brutal practices towards minorities dating back to the 1920's and 30's but especially towards growing African-American population in L.A. in the 1940's and 50's when they began hiring police officers from Southern states. (Quite a few West Coast cities adopted similar policing procedures/protocols, like Oakland around the same time period).

They also had a better, more acute pulse on the mood and still-scarred feelings existing in the L.A. area and nationwide after the Rodney King riots a few years before caused by brutal police beating on the side of a freeway captured on film and they knew that more typical LAPD obstruction, mishandling, and disappearance of key evidence in a criminal murder trial against a well-liked, then-universally beloved and respected black NFL star and film actor wasnt going to go unnoticed, and massively over-hyped media coverage of whether L.A. was going to burn down again if a jury decided to convict him of murder based on badly-handled, suspicious means and sinister characters. The LA District Attorneys office did a poor, if not atrocious, job underestimating those still-existantial factors still in play trying to assemble a convincing case to use. Marcia Clark, also, didn't come across as the most likable, relatable PR-saavy public prosecutor in terms of how most parts of MSM painted or depicted her as being combative, rude, disrespectful, or confrontational.

One of the best lines I heard, after the OJ trial was by David Letterman: “Everybody in the country knows that OJ is guilty, except for 12 dumb a**** out in California.” 😆

Segue: I met Johnny Cochran before he died of a brain tumor. IMHO Cochran knew OJ was guilty, but he was doing the job that he was hired to do. Cochran spoke to an auditorium of college students, on a cold, snowy night with not great attendance. Cochran did not care, he stayed there and answered every question, tried to help every student, signed every book etc. He was a short, kinda small guy, bursting with charisma.....but I was impressed by his kindness & compassion.

This guy murdered a man on camera when he had no fear for his life whatsoever.

You think with a mob rushing him he wouldn’t have just started shooting? And got off because then he “feared for his life?”

And every one of them that wasn’t murdered would have ended up in jail for assaulting a police officer.

+1

Darnell Frazier, a teenager -- I want to reiterate, a teenager -- a witness in this case, the person responsible for the viral video, said this, "It has been nights I stayed up apologizing and apologizing to George Floyd for not doing more and not physically interacting and not saving his life. Its not what I should have done, it's what he should have done (speaking of former Officer Chauvin)."

This isn't about what any witness should have done or theorizing what we would do in this situation. That ignorantly shifts the focus from the party culpable. This is about Chauvin, not us. As a black American, here is what is frustrating. We constantly hear comply, comply, comply. Just get profiled. Just get followed. Just answer their questions. Just give them your ID. Just let them hold you at gunpoint. Just let them handcuff you. Comply, and you'll live. And, yet, here is a poster saying "had I been there I would have done something!" Essentially saying he wouldn't have complied to orders to stand back. Well, which the hell is it?! Comply like Philando and still get shot? Comply like this crowd and watch George die and then categorized as an angry mob by the defense? The terms and rules shouldn't bend and change for black Americans.

This isn't about compliance or non-compliance for me. This is about the dehumanizing of black life. For Chauvin, at some point, Floyd's life wasn't deemed valuable or of worth. His potential criminality outweighed his humanity. He was executed, in the street, for the crime of fraud.

Are we comfortable with that?

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeell NO!!!!!!! 😡😢😡

That makes some sense. Thanks. To me, it should be something like what the penalties for theft would be. Usually thefts below a certain amount would be considered a misdemeanor. The same maybe should apply for counterfeit money.

That said, isn't counterfeit money under the jurisdiction of federal law? Wouldn't that involve the Secret Service? I thought they handled counterfeit currency issues?

Rewinding a bit, I think the store manager was at least partly responsible for this. All that over a pack of smokes? If I'm a manager, I just let it go unless it's someone who is a repeat offender. Floyd didn't deserve what what happened to him regardless.
IDK about the laws. Perhaps it would be up to local to arrest and refer for charging, but I just don't have any knowledge in that area...thankfully.

As for the store owner, I hold no ill will there. Yeah, it's just a pack of cig's to you and me, but it could be food for his kids. I doubt he's turning WalMart profit levels. And if his shop gets a reputation as a place to pass bad cash then he loses more and possibly gets the law investigating as well.

do you know how harshly people are penalized in this country for assaulting police officers in the line of duty? That’s assuming they make it to trial and aren’t all shot once the cops radio for the cavalry to come help.

IDK about the laws. Perhaps it would be up to local to arrest and refer for charging, but I just don't have any knowledge in that area...thankfully.

As for the store owner, I hold no ill will there. Yeah, it's just a pack of cig's to you and me, but it could be food for his kids. I doubt he's turning WalMart profit levels. And if his shop gets a reputation as a place to pass bad cash then he loses more and possibly gets the law investigating as well.
actually, the owner deducts any amount if counterfeit from the cashiers pay, (according to his testimony) so it cost the store owner nothing. the cashier went outside but came back in and told the owner be would take care of the money. the owner made him go back out and push the issue.

actually, the owner deducts any amount if counterfeit from the cashiers pay, (according to his testimony) so it cost the store owner nothing. the cashier went outside but came back in and told the owner be would take care of the money. the owner made him go back out and push the issue.
That would be the second part of my statement about the owner not wanting to get a reputation. Can't say I blame em.

I want to apologize to anyone I offended by the tittle. That was definitely not my intention.
i know it wasn't - most everyone is calling it what you called it in the title
i'd just heard that framing checked in 2 different places recently and thought it beared mentioning

and i meant when i said props to the OP

This guy murdered a man on camera when he had no fear for his life whatsoever.

You think with a mob rushing him he wouldn’t have just started shooting? And got off because then he “feared for his life?”

And every one of them that wasn’t murdered would have ended up in jail for assaulting a police officer.
Maybe, I'm just looking at the larger, socially-consciensce collective good that might've been achieved and George Floyd might still be alive. I still think there's an angle where this whole, awful, terrible series of events, the most insidious involving a man being systematically choked to death while lying on the pavement could've been averted, even though it likely wouldve put more potential bystanders lives at stake or risking their freedoms to prevent it from happening?
The biggest obstacle to making sure this murder never happens and it becomes a intolerable, violent, boiling sore that explodes into riots, civil unrest and countless anti-police brutality, "defund the police" demonstrations that followed all across the nation last summer, was Derek Chauvin.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom