The Derek Chauvin trial {Mod Edit: Guilty on all charges} (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
I don’t have much to say about this but if you heard the testimony of some of the prosecutions witnesses today and didn’t have a tear in your eye you aren’t human. Yes the man had a criminal record, yes the man had drugs in his body but he didn’t deserve to die like that. Could the drugs have killed him???? Maybe. Did he have other health conditions that could’ve killed him???? Maybe. But that cop took those decisions into his on hands and brought about an outrage in this country that’s been at the surface for a long time. God it’s time we turn to you.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You mean if Chauvin had any past complaints against him? He did. There were at least 22 complaints filed against him over 19 years.

Yeah, I was pretty sure I had read he had a significant number of complaints against him. I hope that will impact his sentencing. He needs to go away as long as possible.

Xeno

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Are they available to the public considering he's a convicted felon now?

My guess would be no since they're part of police records and not necessarily court records. A bit of googling may prove me wrong though.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My guess would be no since they're part of police records and not necessarily court records. A bit of googling may prove me wrong though.

Yeah, I don't think the police union would agree to that. I wonder if something like the FOIA would apply to police records.

Reaction score
I said I would be shocked if Chauvin was found guilty, and I'm in complete shocked that the jury found him guilty on ALL COUNTS!!! Having said that, I'm still not encouraged that this is the beginning of real change because if this had not been recorded by civilian onlookers, he would have gotten away with murder without a single charge filed against him. I am eagerly awaiting to see if he had any past complaints against him.
I'm only shocked that it was all counts. I figured it would be the first two, but not the worst charge. I'm encouraged that this is a step forward and a building block, but also not encouraged that we won't take steps back as well. But progress is almost never a straight path and I think that we are making some progress.

Xeno

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think the police union would agree to that. I wonder if something like the FOIA would apply to police records.

I'm of the opinion that one of the biggest steps we can take towards police reform is busting the police unions, and I say that as someone who is 100% pro-union.

Reaction score
The first step in having an earnest conversation is being earnest. If you can't express what you mean how can you expect anyone to discuss it?
Because I don't believe that you're being earnest. I don't understand what it is that you don't understand.

What is there to discuss?

my biggest hope is that this finally brings some peace in all this turmoil the country has been facing.

Turmoil is defined as a state of great disturbance, confusion, or uncertainty. I would say that the country has been greatly disturbed over this trial and uncertain of it's outcome and I hope now the country can find some amount of peace in the conviction of Chauvin. What about that is confusing to you?

Last edited:

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because I don't believe that you're being earnest. I don't understand what it is that you don't understand.

Turmoil is defined as a state of great disturbance, confusion, or uncertainty. I would say that the country has been greatly disturbed over this trial and uncertain of it's outcome and I hope now the country can find some amount of peace in the conviction of Chauvin. What about that is confusing to you?
The first step in having an earnest conversation is being earnest. If you can't express what you mean how can you expect anyone to discuss it?
Let it go or take it to PM.

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Question for sentencing. Will the penalties be concurrent, or consecutive? If he's guilty on all counts, would it be the max of the longest penalty? Is that up to the judge or is it determined by law?
My understand it is concurrent since all of three of the charges apply to the same act.

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Guilty on all counts.
1618960683570.png

seriously, good riddance. Chauvin gave well-meaning and honest cops a bad name, so 'bye. I'm sorry for whatever made Chauvin into the terrible LEO he was, but we're best off shut of him.

Last edited:

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It would seem that way. I was just wondering if that was stipulated in Minnesota law.
Yeah, obviously I don't know Minnesota law but that's what I heard the CBS legal expert say.

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

The feeling is mutual. So you were talking specifically about the trial. Now I know. Now I can respond to what you said.

I think there's a good bit of "turmoil" still plaguing the country that isn't addressed by a verdict that seemed like a slam dunk but was very much uncertain because of the US's history in cases like these. That being said, the verdict may certainly prevent any immediate unrest that could have resulted. Bigger picture, I think most would agree that we have a ways still to go address the "turmoil" that lead to this case in the first place.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I will be. Maybe I’ll just live a good life and die a happy old man. But when you look at the flip side unless you live the kind of life many dream of the end up in hell there’s no upside to that.
Pascal said it better

OP
Tony1Saintfan
Reaction score
The officer was found guilty but let’s wait and see what his sentence is. 99.5% of the time I back the blue. But when a officer breaks the law his arse needs to go to jail just like any of us would.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I found this too.

So, I'd guess 12 and a half years is what he'll get.

Second-degree unintentional murder is punishable by up to 40 years in prison. Third-degree murder is punishable by up to 25 years in prison. However, Minnesota sentencing guidelines call for identical presumptive prison terms for both counts, starting at 12 1/2 years for someone with no criminal history.

Second-degree manslaughter is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and/or a fine of $20,000. The count carries a presumptive sentence of four years for someone with no criminal history.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom