The Derek Chauvin trial {Mod Edit: Guilty on all charges} (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
I don’t have much to say about this but if you heard the testimony of some of the prosecutions witnesses today and didn’t have a tear in your eye you aren’t human. Yes the man had a criminal record, yes the man had drugs in his body but he didn’t deserve to die like that. Could the drugs have killed him???? Maybe. Did he have other health conditions that could’ve killed him???? Maybe. But that cop took those decisions into his on hands and brought about an outrage in this country that’s been at the surface for a long time. God it’s time we turn to you.

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
There's no limit on strikes for cause (provided the judge doesn't sustain an objection that the proffered cause is insufficient). In this example, I think Chauvin would have been able to strike a juror for cause if the juror had participated in a police protest associated with the Floyd incident (I don't know if this juror actually did, I'm speaking categorically).
Ok yes I see what you are saying. Sounds reasonable.

I just hope if they have a do-over, that black people have a significant presence on the next jury.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ok yes I see what you are saying. Sounds reasonable.

I just hope if they have a do-over, that black people have a significant presence on the next jury.

Even if this juror wasn't truthful in the response (that's even not clear yet) there's still a lot of room for nuance and other evidence. "Actual bias" is a very high standard and there is ample authority that the defendant is only entitled to an impartial jury made up of people in the community or district, as it lies.

I don't think Chauvin could broadly exclude, for cause, any juror that attended any police reform protest - that would seem too wide of a net to me. The issue is one that impacts the whole community and a juror is not disqualified for taking part in that process . . . I wouldn't think. But I do think attending a rally, march, protest, vigil, etc. for George Floyd goes directly to the very case for which the juror would be deciding.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So Chauvin has filed the motion for a new trial based on a number of allegations.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
is there a civil trial in the works? how does this effect that?

Filing a motion for post-conviction relief is standard - typically the trial court denies them (perhaps after hearing) and it becomes part of the appeal.

Chauvin’s employer already settled civil claims (filed against the city and Chauvin) with Floyd’s family and estate. I would imagine that settlement was in favor of all defendants so there’s no civil case left.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A federal grand jury has indicted the four former Minneapolis police officers involved in George Floyd’s arrest and death, accusing them of willfully violating the Black man’s constitutional rights as he was restrained face-down on the pavement and gasping for air.

A three-count indictment unsealed Friday names Derek Chauvin, Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao.

Specifically, Chauvin is charged with violating Floyd's right to be free from unreasonable seizure and unreasonable force by a police officer. Thao and Kueng are also charged with violating Floyd’s right to be free from unreasonable seizure, alleging they did not intervene to stop Chauvin as he knelt on Floyd's neck. All four officers are charged for their failure to provide Floyd with medical care...........

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i'm sure this mash-up of legal philosophies might not hold water, but it seems:
SC has upheld a few times that police do not have a constitutional obligation to protect and serve
otoh, in varies places citizens have a duty to protect
it seems citizens bear more responsibility to each other than the police have

how accurate is this?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom