The Derek Chauvin trial {Mod Edit: Guilty on all charges} (1 Viewer)

Well the Jury made its decision. It is what it is. Now people can go back to not caring about civilians murdering civilians.

People do care about civilians murdering civilians. Civilians usually get brought to justice. Police murdering civilians often do not.

I said I would be shocked if Chauvin was found guilty, and I'm in complete shocked that the jury found him guilty on ALL COUNTS!!! Having said that, I'm still not encouraged that this is the beginning of real change because if this had not been recorded by civilian onlookers, he would have gotten away with murder without a single charge filed against him. I am eagerly awaiting to see if he had any past complaints against him.

Looking around and I'm not really finding much yet. But, it seems like the judge has discretion regarding sentencing. Supposedly there's some provision in Minnesota state law that substantially shortens the maximum penalty to something like 12-13 years because Chauvin has no prior criminal history that I'm aware of. That lack of criminal history will probably wind up being a reason for the judge going with a concurrent rather than consecutive judgment.

This is a pretty unique case though, so I don't know if the circumstances would lead to the judge going with the shorter, concurrent sentencing.

I think 12 years would be entirely too short. Even 50 is too short. I'm guessing he'll get 25 or so.

Interesting that bail was denied between now and sentencing. So he's not getting out until the end of his sentence.

While I'm relieved, there are no real winners here. Floyd doesn't get his life back, and there remains a lot of work to be done to prevent more stuff like this from happening.

I do hope this does lead to reforms. We can't be content that justice for Floyd was achieved to some degree. Police departments have to do more get rid of cops who abuse their position. Not enough is happening in that respect even after all that has gone on.

I said I would be shocked if Chauvin was found guilty, and I'm in complete shocked that the jury found him guilty on ALL COUNTS!!! Having said that, I'm still not encouraged that this is the beginning of real change because if this had not been recorded by civilian onlookers, he would have gotten away with murder without a single charge filed against him. I am eagerly awaiting to see if he had any past complaints against him.

You mean if Chauvin had any past complaints against him? He did. There were at least 22 complaints filed against him over 19 years.

You mean if Chauvin had any past complaints against him? He did. There were at least 22 complaints filed against him over 19 years.
Will they be made available to the public considering he's a convicted felon now?

Yeah, I was pretty sure I had read he had a significant number of complaints against him. I hope that will impact his sentencing. He needs to go away as long as possible.

Are they available to the public considering he's a convicted felon now?

My guess would be no since they're part of police records and not necessarily court records. A bit of googling may prove me wrong though.

My guess would be no since they're part of police records and not necessarily court records. A bit of googling may prove me wrong though.

Yeah, I don't think the police union would agree to that. I wonder if something like the FOIA would apply to police records.

I'm only shocked that it was all counts. I figured it would be the first two, but not the worst charge. I'm encouraged that this is a step forward and a building block, but also not encouraged that we won't take steps back as well. But progress is almost never a straight path and I think that we are making some progress.

Yeah, I don't think the police union would agree to that. I wonder if something like the FOIA would apply to police records.

I'm of the opinion that one of the biggest steps we can take towards police reform is busting the police unions, and I say that as someone who is 100% pro-union.

The first step in having an earnest conversation is being earnest. If you can't express what you mean how can you expect anyone to discuss it?
Because I don't believe that you're being earnest. I don't understand what it is that you don't understand.

What is there to discuss?

my biggest hope is that this finally brings some peace in all this turmoil the country has been facing.

Turmoil is defined as a state of great disturbance, confusion, or uncertainty. I would say that the country has been greatly disturbed over this trial and uncertain of it's outcome and I hope now the country can find some amount of peace in the conviction of Chauvin. What about that is confusing to you?

Last edited:
Because I don't believe that you're being earnest. I don't understand what it is that you don't understand.

What is there to discuss?

Turmoil is defined as a state of great disturbance, confusion, or uncertainty. I would say that the country has been greatly disturbed over this trial and uncertain of it's outcome and I hope now the country can find some amount of peace in the conviction of Chauvin. What about that is confusing to you?
The first step in having an earnest conversation is being earnest. If you can't express what you mean how can you expect anyone to discuss it?
Let it go or take it to PM.

Question for sentencing. Will the penalties be concurrent, or consecutive? If he's guilty on all counts, would it be the max of the longest penalty? Is that up to the judge or is it determined by law?
My understand it is concurrent since all of three of the charges apply to the same act.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom