The Derek Chauvin trial {Mod Edit: Guilty on all charges} (1 Viewer)

There's talk on grounds for appeal. The jury couldn't be kept from outside influences/public coverage of Floyd's death, and that could have tainted the verdict.

I don't really care about that. I'm elated by the verdict.

In a way this doesn't feel like a verdict from just the jury, it feels like a ruling from the concerned public in general, and I like that. The jury represented me and most of us who saw all the evidence broadcast every day. Thanks to the jury.

I hope that, after appeals, the verdict stands and Chauvin serves the maximum time.

Not most.....all. Only people who are purposefully twisted, hateful and demented try to make it anything other than cold blooded murder.
what a sheetastic way for it to have to happen. only positive is little justice. very little. i'm still in the camp of being more 1st than 2nd degree.

i'm hesitant to see the actual sentencing.

There's talk on grounds for appeal. The jury couldn't be kept from outside influences/public coverage of Floyd's death, and that could have tainted the verdict.

I don't really care about that. I'm elated by the verdict.

In a way this doesn't feel like a verdict from just the jury, it feels like a ruling from the concerned public in general, and I like that. The jury represented me and most of us who saw all the evidence broadcast every day. Thanks to the jury.

I hope that, after appeals, the verdict stands and Chauvin serves the maximum time.
Yeah...he’s guilty. But I do think the appeal is reasonable. The jury selection and preventing outside influence was probably impossible on this one. But I’m glad for at least a moment the family gets justice and can begin to heal.

I found this too.

So, I'd guess 12 and a half years is what he'll get.
What I saw this morning said that 12 1/2 is the starting point for someone with no criminal history, but because of multiple aggravating factors (cruelty, the presence of minors), he will likely have additional years tacked on.

Yeah...he’s guilty. But I do think the appeal is reasonable. The jury selection and preventing outside influence was probably impossible on this one. But I’m glad for at least a moment the family gets justice and can begin to heal.
IMO, If some of the jurors ONLY voted guilty because of the riot threat or whatever, then he wouldn't have been found guilty on all 3 charges. They would have gone with one of the lesser charges.

Makiya Bryant had called the police bc she was defending herself from an attack (she was holding a knife). Officer drove up and shot her 4 times
She was 15 years old

I wouldn't lump this one in with the others. The video clearly showed that if the cop hadn't pulled the trigger, the only change would be a different young black girl would be dead. She was seconds away, knife already being swung towards the neck, from committing murder.

What I saw this morning said that 12 1/2 is the starting point for someone with no criminal history, but because of multiple aggravating factors (cruelty, the presence of minors), he will likely have additional years tacked on.

Yeah, also, I don't know if it can be considered by the judge, but Chauvin has had something like 20 complaints against him over the years. That seems to me like it would show a pattern of misbehavior that could and I would think should be considered by the judge. Maybe 20-25 years is what he'll get. I'd be very surprised if he gets the maximum, although he clearly deserves that.

IMO, If some of the jurors ONLY voted guilty because of the riot threat or whatever, then he wouldn't have been found guilty on all 3 charges. They would have gone with one of the lesser charges.

I think he was guilty. I don’t think that the circumstances changed the outcome of the trial. But it’s hard to deny that the circumstances weren’t there. I think that a decent lawyer would get an appeal...maybe I’m wrong. I think he’ll be found guilty again

Last edited:
...One report I read had 22 listed complaints against Chauvin over a 19 year career at the department...
Not to play devil's advocate, but seriously? Only 22 complaints in 19 years? In a job where every day, every person you meet is either an outright criminal, beligerently P'Oed off, afraid for their lives, or just severely stressed from some kind of trauma? That's just over 1 per year. I'd like to see those "complaints". Were they from the people being arrested or generally not getting their way? People who didn't like the outcome, no matter how correct it may have been? How many times do we see the "Karens" come out and complain about things that either aren't actual problems or just not the way they want it? They may be legitimate complaints or they may be frivolous. I don't know. Just something to think about.

Not to play devil's advocate, but seriously? Only 22 complaints in 19 years? In a job where every day, every person you meet is either an outright criminal, beligerently P'Oed off, afraid for their lives, or just severely stressed from some kind of trauma? That's just over 1 per year. I'd like to see those "complaints". Were they from the people being arrested or generally not getting their way? People who didn't like the outcome, no matter how correct it may have been? How many times do we see the "Karens" come out and complain about things that either aren't actual problems or just not the way they want it? They may be legitimate complaints or they may be frivolous. I don't know. Just something to think about.

Yeah, for 19 years, that seems low. I dunno what's typical though. I would imagine beat cops who interact with people every day are going to get a lot more complaints than most other officers.

Yeah, for 19 years, that seems low. I dunno what's typical though. I would imagine beat cops who interact with people every day are going to get a lot more complaints than most other officers.

I think it's quite a lot actually. These are formal complaints lodged with the department - not like negative Yelp reviews. The complainant actually has to actually put forth some effort to make the complaint.

A Northwestern University study of 8,000 Chicago police officers found that the average number of complaints per officer on a 10-year basis is 1.3. In other words, less than two across 10 years. I don't know how representative that is, but I would imagine that it would be unusual for the numbers to be dramatically different elsewhere.

I have worked on a fair share of law enforcement civil cases (tort suits, not criminal prosecutions) and I can say that none of the officers in any of those cases had more than three, individually (various lengths of service).

I think you also have to look at the nature of the reports. Chauvin had multiple complaints of excessive force or other misuse of his authority as a police officer. I think 18 complaints in 19 years is probably quite high in the modern era, and his record would be considered by many in law enforcement management to have been a problem that suggested a need for mitigation.

Yeah, I'm just setting the floor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom