The Derek Chauvin trial {Mod Edit: Guilty on all charges} (4 Viewers)

I think it's quite a lot actually. These are formal complaints lodged with the department - not like negative Yelp reviews. The complainant actually has to actually put forth some effort to make the complaint.

A Northwestern University study of 8,000 Chicago police officers found that the average number of complaints per officer on a 10-year basis is 1.3. In other words, less than two across 10 years. I don't know how representative that is, but I would imagine that it would be unusual for the numbers to be dramatically different elsewhere.

I have worked on a fair share of law enforcement civil cases (tort suits, not criminal prosecutions) and I can say that none of the officers in any of those cases had more than three, individually (various lengths of service).

I think you also have to look at the nature of the reports. Chauvin had multiple complaints of excessive force or other misuse of his authority as a police officer. I think 18 complaints in 19 years is probably quite high in the modern era, and his record would be considered by many in law enforcement management to have been a problem that suggested a need for mitigation.

That's quite helpful. So yeah, seems like Chauvin is an outlier. Hopefully that will get consideration from the judge during sentencing.

Makiya Bryant had called the police bc she was defending herself from an attack (she was holding a knife). Officer drove up and shot her 4 times
She was 15 years old

You're either purposely misrepresenting the situation or haven't seen the actual video/picture evidence. To loop this situation in with the atrocious of Breonna Taylor/ Floyd's murder is a terrible take. Her age/race has nothing to do with getting shot for attempting to stab someone with a large knife.

You're warned this is NSFW.

Attachments

• 98F0672D-37E7-4DAD-9842-07303DE4FA8C.jpeg
    98F0672D-37E7-4DAD-9842-07303DE4FA8C.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 13
Breonna Taylor’s killer - one of them - signed a book deal this week (yes publisher backed out of a deal they never should have made )
While a just verdict was handed down , it is one step on a very, very, very, very long road

Makiya Bryant had called the police bc she was defending herself from an attack (she was holding a knife). Officer drove up and shot her 4 times
She was 15 years old

I know you're not comparing the Taylor tragedy with the Bryant one. That said, after watching this a few times, I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen here. It's tragic, yes, but it was probably going to be tragic regardless. The girl with the knife was about ready to stab the girl in pink. It looks to me like the cop is in a no win situation here.

You're either purposely misrepresenting the situation or haven't seen the actual video/picture evidence. To loop this situation in with the atrocious of Breonna Taylor/ Floyd's murder is a terrible take. Her age/race has nothing to do with getting shot for attempting to stab someone with a large knife.

You're warned this is NSFW.

Ugh. That's brutal. I'm not sure what the cop could have done in that situation that wouldn't have lead to someone getting killed. He didn't have time to run and tackle the girl with the knife and if he tried that she might have stabbed or sliced the girl before he got to her. Maybe taser?

Ugh. That's brutal. I'm not sure what the cop could have done in that situation that wouldn't have lead to someone getting killed. He didn't have time to run and tackle the girl with the knife and if he tried that she might have stabbed or sliced the girl before he got to her. Maybe taser?

Taser was my first thought as well. But even that has its own drawbacks. Tasers don't always work and maybe she stabs the girl anyway. That's a tough call.

from George Floyd's brother
===========================
This is what justice feels like: gut-wrenching relief, exhaustion. It’s not sweet or satisfying. It’s necessary, important, maybe even historic. But only with the passage of time will we know if the guilty verdict in the trial of Derek Chauvin is the start of something that will truly change America and the experience of Black Americans.

For the past two weeks, I have watched my brother George Floyd die over and over, thousands of times. The video testimony was hard to see. Now it is seared into my waking thoughts and my nightly sleep — what little sleep I get.

I watched as the strangers who stood on that street and saw George slowly, agonizingly die testified about how they pleaded for his life and felt guilty that they weren’t able to save it, sometimes sobbing through their words. They never thought they’d have to stand there and witness his soul leave its body. That included a 9-year-old girl with the word “love” on her shirt, who saw something no child should ever have to see. She will be forever changed by it. Those good people who were there with George at the end, when we were not, are also now part of our family.

I saw tears on the faces of jurors who looked nothing like George or me as they listened to that testimony, and I felt bonds of humanity with them. In contrast to the jury that 66 years ago refused to convict the men who brutalized, maimed and killed Emmett Till, this jury took a decisive stand for justice. As much as this verdict is a vindication for George, it is for Emmett, too.

Over the past 11 months, my family has forged relationships with the families of so many other victims of brutality and over-policing — Breonna Taylor, Daunte Wright, Eric Garner. We are members of a tragic club that we never would have chosen for ourselves. Many of these victims have not had their day in court. This verdict is for them, too.................

think you also have to look at the nature of the reports. Chauvin had multiple complaints of excessive force or other misuse of his authority as a police officer. I think 18 complaints in 19 years is probably quite high in the modern era, and his record would be considered by many in law enforcement management to have been a problem that suggested a need for mitigation.

Not to play devil's advocate, but seriously? Only 22 complaints in 19 years? In a job where every day, every person you meet is either an outright criminal, beligerently P'Oed off, afraid for their lives, or just severely stressed from some kind of trauma? That's just over 1 per year. I'd like to see those "complaints". Were they from the people being arrested or generally not getting their way? People who didn't like the outcome, no matter how correct it may have been? How many times do we see the "Karens" come out and complain about things that either aren't actual problems or just not the way they want it? They may be legitimate complaints or they may be frivolous. I don't know. Just something to think about.

I'm going to go ahead and play devil's advocate and say that a little more than an average of once a year, either someone had the guts or the abuse was so over the top that those folks actually filed a formal complaint about it....I'd like to see those complaints too, I think DOJ can't wait to see them....I don't think (just like the trial's verdict) that there is really much to think about here....

It's like being written up once a year at a regular job. Or having recordable safety incidents every year in a construction job.

A ticket or a wreck every 12 months for a driver. No way you last past year 3 or 4. He went 19. Not to mention the years where there were multiples.

Those are the kinds of people who eventually end up doing exactly what he did. The warning signs were there.

Yea, if i have to write up my guy once a year for a safety violation, he wouldn't make it past the three year mark.

Will he be in solitary just until he is sentenced or will this be his life for the next X years?
=========================================================

Derek Chauvin is being held in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day in Minnesota’s only maximum-security prison after he was convicted of murdering George Floyd and led out of a courtroom in handcuffs, according to authorities.....

Mr. Chauvin, who is being held as he waits to be sentenced, will be alone in his cell for all but one hour each day, during which he is allowed to exercise. Even then, he will be kept away from all other prisoners and remain under the watch of prison guards inside the unit..........

Will he be in solitary just until he is sentenced or will this be his life for the next X years?
=========================================================

Derek Chauvin is being held in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day in Minnesota’s only maximum-security prison after he was convicted of murdering George Floyd and led out of a courtroom in handcuffs, according to authorities.....

Mr. Chauvin, who is being held as he waits to be sentenced, will be alone in his cell for all but one hour each day, during which he is allowed to exercise. Even then, he will be kept away from all other prisoners and remain under the watch of prison guards inside the unit..........

He needs to be under suicide watch as well. People are not built for 23 hours per day in solitary confinement.

The last witness for the prosecution was OUTSTANDING, a 9 year old girl!!! 👍🇺🇸👏
The 9 year old testified that as soon as the Paramedics arrived they told the cops 👮‍♀️,
“Get off of him.” 🙏🏻🇺🇸🙏🏻

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom