The Derek Chauvin trial {Mod Edit: Guilty on all charges} (3 Viewers)

is there a civil trial in the works? how does this effect that?

Filing a motion for post-conviction relief is standard - typically the trial court denies them (perhaps after hearing) and it becomes part of the appeal.

Chauvin’s employer already settled civil claims (filed against the city and Chauvin) with Floyd’s family and estate. I would imagine that settlement was in favor of all defendants so there’s no civil case left.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A federal grand jury has indicted the four former Minneapolis police officers involved in George Floyd’s arrest and death, accusing them of willfully violating the Black man’s constitutional rights as he was restrained face-down on the pavement and gasping for air.

A three-count indictment unsealed Friday names Derek Chauvin, Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao.

Specifically, Chauvin is charged with violating Floyd's right to be free from unreasonable seizure and unreasonable force by a police officer. Thao and Kueng are also charged with violating Floyd’s right to be free from unreasonable seizure, alleging they did not intervene to stop Chauvin as he knelt on Floyd's neck. All four officers are charged for their failure to provide Floyd with medical care...........

i'm sure this mash-up of legal philosophies might not hold water, but it seems:
SC has upheld a few times that police do not have a constitutional obligation to protect and serve
otoh, in varies places citizens have a duty to protect
it seems citizens bear more responsibility to each other than the police have

how accurate is this?

Yeah, just watched that. Seems about what what I was thinking. His comments were a little bizarre tho. But I guess when you're about to go to prison for a long time, your perspective changes.

One of the things the judge said that caught my attention was that he's barred from owning a gun for the rest of his life. Never thought about that as a restriction, but it makes sense that the judge would stipulate that as part of the sentencing.

Yeah, just watched that. Seems about what what I was thinking. His comments were a little bizarre tho. But I guess when you're about to go to prison for a long time, your perspective changes.

One of the things the judge said that caught my attention was that he's barred from owning a gun for the rest of his life. Never thought about that as a restriction, but it makes sense that the judge would stipulate that as part of the sentencing.
When he gets out of prison, if he has any common sense, he’ll sit his tail down and enjoy the rest of his life. That 15 years he’s got to do is gonna be torture trying to stay out of the way of other prisoners. They don’t like convicted cops in prison.

When he gets out of prison, if he has any common sense, he’ll sit his tail down and enjoy the rest of his life. That 15 years he’s got to do is gonna be torture trying to stay out of the way of other prisoners. They don’t like convicted cops in prison.
I wouldn't be surprised if he's in some sort of solitary confinement or something. He'd get wrecked in gen pop.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's in some sort of solitary confinement or something. He'd get wrecked in gen pop.
Yeah, they don’t put cops in gen pop. He’ll be in protective custody, I’d imagine. 15 years in 23 hour lockdown will scramble his brains up pretty good. I hope he likes reading books.

judge needs to take his knees from him

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom