The Deuce McCallister Question? (1 Viewer)

Conrad

Reaction score
This is going to be one of the toughest decisions that I think that the Saints will have to deal with in the past few years.

Should the Saints keep RB Deuce McCallister or release him?

Yes Release Him:

1. The Saints have great depth at RB with the solid Aaron Stecker and the emergence of Pierre Thomas who would easily be great with Reggie Bush.

2. Deuce makes about 6-7 million a year and that money could be transfered over to locking up the young talent on the team like Colston, Evans, Smith.

3. Even if he comes back how long will he last now that he is almost 30 with two bad knees is it worth the investment for 3-4 games.

No do not release him:

1. He is a team leader and a strong presence in the locker room.

2. If he is healthy he is better than Thomas and Stecker.

Last edited:
Cutting Deuce only saves about a million on his contract. Not worth it to cut a team legend who still might be able to offer something for just $1 million. Deuce deserves another year.

This pains me to say but.....keep him if he decides to restructure....otherwise.....otherwise......<sigh>. You know.

Man, there's no need to mock someone for a minor spelling error, especially when they've made an interesting post

now in response the the post.......
I agree with NJdevilsaints. The savings does not warrant the move.

u can read the cut-mcallister threads every week , i dont know but ... it isnt THAT interesting to read it the 3435778349 times this offseason...

but to stay ontopic : i hope he restructure , i think he has a few years left to help reggie and pierre.

This won't be a question until next season.

If he can't beat out Thomas, restructure his contract and keep him. he'll probably have a second wind in his carreer like Stephen Davis did.(once he's totally healthy again)

Thomas has one great game in his career and we are ready to cut Deuce and put all our eggs in his basket?

Lets have this discussion next offseason if Deuce gets hurt again.

At this point we need do nothing more with Deuce than let him do his thing. The playing field will be the courtroom and his production will be the jury.

There is no mystery. His body and mind will be the determining factors in his ultimate disposition.

totally agree guitarzan.... too many "fans" want to cut him loose, just because they think he "might" not be able to do it..
How many players came back from an acl in 1 year to get over 1000 yards... the list is rather slim..... but the man is on it.. Give him some credit.. yes it's unlikely to do it twice,, but it's the other knee not the same one.
He already knows what it takes to come back in that 1 year, and a big part of it's mental, so he has the edge there.
Let him get well, and see what happens before you say cut him loose because he makes too much green. As been said a ton of times over these let him go threads... It would only save the club 1 million on the cap. And the subtraction of Deuce outways the addition of anyone you're going to get for that 1 mill.. Give it a rest.

Personally, I think it is way too early to be having this discussion.

If he comes back healthy, then we keep him.

If he does not recover from this surgery, we do not.

Seems pretty simple to me. But no one can make that kind of determination until he has had a chance to rehab and see where he ACTUALLY stands in regards to his injury.

I see no reason for the Saints to have to make that kind of decision now. Doesn't make sense.

if he is healthy again...there is no way you get rid of him..pierre thomas, aaron stecker, and reggie bush aren't going to get it done..all three of their combined experience does not add up to what a healthy McAllister has to offer...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom