The Deuce McCallister Question? (1 Viewer)

totally agree guitarzan.... too many "fans" want to cut him loose, just because they think he "might" not be able to do it..
How many players came back from an acl in 1 year to get over 1000 yards... the list is rather slim..... but the man is on it.. Give him some credit.. yes it's unlikely to do it twice,, but it's the other knee not the same one.
He already knows what it takes to come back in that 1 year, and a big part of it's mental, so he has the edge there.
Let him get well, and see what happens before you say cut him loose because he makes too much green. As been said a ton of times over these let him go threads... It would only save the club 1 million on the cap. And the subtraction of Deuce outways the addition of anyone you're going to get for that 1 mill.. Give it a rest.

The main problem is he came back the first time with one knee still intact. This time he will be back with two surgically-repaired knees. The only NFL player I know who had ACL tears in both knees was Atlanta's Jamal Anderson. To me, it seems much tougher to return from an ACL tear in each knee because you now have nothing to "lean" on. Before, Deuce could favor the non-injured knee for support if he felt pain. What will he do now? And it's not only the cap that poses a problem. If he isn't cut and isn't effective, he's either inactive and costing a lot of money to no dress or he's active and costing the team a roster spot on gameday. I don't suggest cutting him until we at least see some results (for better or worse), but saving $1 million isn't the only benefit to cutting him, I'm sorry to say. And we've seen how important that extra roster spot is to Payton.

look what happen to the team this yr w/o deuce.

as his running game goes so does the team

I'm sure our 28th ranked D as opposed to our 11th ranked last year had alot more to do with it, as we still finished top 10 in most offensive categories (including TOP).

But I do agree he is a good asset to have and cutting him would make no sense. Its not really even an option until after next season cap wise.

0-3 with Deuce. Sorry, but "look what happen to the team this yr w/o deuce" doesn't fly when we stunk BEFORE he got hurt.

Man, there's no need to mock someone for a minor spelling error, especially when they've made an interesting post

now in response the the post.......
I agree with NJdevilsaints. The savings does not warrant the move.

Yes, there is. What Saints fan can't spell DOooooce's name? And its a beaten to death, dead horse of a topic. The only person on this board who didn't know the answers coming to this question must have been the OP.

0-3 start with deuce

yeah he had 10 att gme 1 10 att game 2 4 att gme 3. yeah they go away from him to be cute to get reggie in so he doesnt cry.

face it w/o a good runner like deuce and dont compare pt to deuce they dont have a good runnning gme. Stecker can come close both nothing compares to the heart and soul that duece has for this team

0-3 start with deuce

yeah he had 10 att gme 1 10 att game 2 4 att gme 3. yeah they go away from him to be cute to get reggie in so he doesnt cry.

face it w/o a good runner like deuce and dont compare pt to deuce they dont have a good runnning gme. Stecker can come close both nothing compares to the heart and soul that duece has for this team

Facts are facts. When Deuce played THIS year, he ran scared and with zero authority. I love Deuce, but I could see his lack of hard running. He ran hard and hit the hole in '06, but this year he stutter-stepped to every hole. He looked scared to get hit, which is very un-Deuce-like. Deuce's carries were low because A) he was ineffective, and B) we were losing in all 3 games for a majority of the time. If Deuce had been making plays on those first 10 carries, he probably would've gotten more. Neither Deuce nor Reggie were performing in those first games, so really there was no reason to focus on one over the other. That's the plus of having 2 RBs: if one is playing poorly, you have another guy ready to go. It's just sad both underperformed this year.

Facts are facts. When Deuce played THIS year, he ran scared and with zero authority. I love Deuce, but I could see his lack of hard running. He ran hard and hit the hole in '06, but this year he stutter-stepped to every hole. He looked scared to get hit, which is very un-Deuce-like. Deuce's carries were low because A) he was ineffective, and B) we were losing in all 3 games for a majority of the time. If Deuce had been making plays on those first 10 carries, he probably would've gotten more. Neither Deuce nor Reggie were performing in those first games, so really there was no reason to focus on one over the other. That's the plus of having 2 RBs: if one is playing poorly, you have another guy ready to go. It's just sad both underperformed this year.
It's not that I want to be overly critical of your assessment of Deuce in the 1st 3 gms. I do however their are factors not included in your perception of his "poor" play.
#1. Deuce has ALWAYS been a late game runner. He starts a little soft, but given the carries he dominates second half defenses. We owe our victories over the Eagles, he demolished them more and more as the game dredged on, last yr and most of us I believe, as this has been discussed numerous times, owe our loss to the Bears lst. yr as a result of being to "Deuce-Lite".
#2. We got down big in those games. Brees was chunking INTs like Santa on Christmas, as I might add he ran for his life from pass rushers, and our "porous", not a strong enough descrption, pass D gave us no chance to start running consistently. Overall a team efforted melt down.
#3. He is working under an offense that still struggles to properly identify his abilities and strong points. It's not that he can't fit in a wide open Gulf Coast Offense. It's that he's is seen as a time management tool only and that the big razzle dazzle plays, 75% of our Offensive calls way too much IMO, don't include him. Sometimes when a team is coming apart at the seams, either during a game or in a stretch of losses, the best medicine is back to the basics hit the 1 hole on a 4 yd HB dive over and over again. Deuce is the man that can do this. He is our Hammer.
#4. For the price about 1 mil / yr. we can't find another reliable RB that not only can change the game, but also represent Saints football without the "glam" and mouth of many vet. players.

the Decision to cut Duece probably wont happen until next offseason or even the offseason after that, he will come to camp healthy this year and he will compete, the bigger question (which we wont know until camp) is if his knee's will hold up, not that they will tear again, but there always flaring up and soreness.

I think the excitement of Pierre and the continued progress of Reggie has people jumping the gun, there (weres) so ready to win we are willing to cut just about anybody if somebody else shows "ability"...lets let it play out....the discussions are good and helps with the bordom that is "the offseason" so I wont hate on anybody making up another post on this or even another 'Reggie Sucks" thread, its just something to talk about and there are many perspectives.

>>what the heck is your problem?

The guy is from Germany and knows how to spell Deuce's last name. If someone is going to bust out on e-life with a 'serious thread', and the subject of that thread is, oh I don't know, the all time rushing leader of the team in question, then it might benefit the person starting the thread to get the name right. No offense to Conrad, but the thread stuck out to me as it is not McCallister (not far off, it's McAllister FWIW). :shrug: Ultimately, I wouldn't sweat it as most people can't spell Deuce either. :shrug:

TPS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom