The difference between McVay and Payton: Experience and patience (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As I was watching the game last night, I was reflecting on how much Sean Payton has evolved in the last couple of years.

McVay is great, aggressive, pedal to the metal, but he is missing to be patient.

When the rams took the ball on their last drive, they went full speed ahead. Yes, they were able to cover the field in bunches, and had a great TD pass.

Matter of fact is, the Chiefs have already scored over 40 points, and they left them the ball with 3 time outs and over 2 minutes to play. That is enough time for Mahomes to at least tie the game, and possibly go for the win.

If Sean Payton would be in the same position right now, I think he would have gone to a very "conservative" offense, with runs and short passes. The goal would have been to advance with as many plays as possible. Just 4-5 yard plays at a time. The idea will be to kill the clock and then, go for the score.

If your defense can't stop their offense, then you keep them out of the field.

Much has been written about the Saints continue pushing for scores once the games are decided. We should not forget that backups were playing most of the 4th quarter. You just can't sit your starters for half a game.

I either take notice as their patient approach when they need to play that way. We are learning to control the game at our own terms, no matter the kind of offense we are facing. This learning process will be very important during the playoffs, specially if we need to go and play elsewhere.

I don't think it's really fair to make the argument of experience yet with McVay. So far, he's proved a lot of us wrong who thought he was a one hit wonder last year.

We tend to forget that Payton had his flaws years ago too. Payton used to have those yearly games where he didn't want to commit to running the ball. Bill Parcells jokingly called this "the virus" one time. Payton has defied time by aging into a better head coach than he was 10 years ago, as hard as that is to believe. The way he runs the Saints now is completely different from how we were in the first decade with him.

McVay kinda reminds me of a young Sean Payton.

Agreed.

I specifically remembering thinking. "Great, you scored...but you left too much time on the clock" when KC got the ball back with over 2 minutes to go.

Rams Defense stepped up and seemingly won them the game...

Then I thought "McVay, you're a big dummy. There's less than 2 minutes to go. You're facing a team with Tyreek Hill and Patrick Mahomes that, as you've already seen, can score in a very little time. You have Todd Gurley...and you're not running the ball or the clock. Thank God for Sean Payton not being this dumb (anymore)"

There are definitely alot of comparisons between the Sean's and I see some of younger Payton in McVay. I like older Payton a lot better!

I don't think it's really fair to make the argument of experience yet with McVay. So far, he's proved a lot of us wrong who thought he was a one hit wonder last year.

We tend to forget that Payton had his flaws years ago too. Payton used to have those yearly games where he didn't want to commit to running the ball. Bill Parcells jokingly called this "the virus" one time. Payton has defied time by aging into a better head coach than he was 10 years ago, as hard as that is to believe. The way he runs the Saints now is completely different from how we were in the first decade with him.

Don't get me wrong. I think McVay is great, and indeed, he is kind of a younger Sean Payton.

They both share the same instincts, go full steam ahead and never look back. But Sean has learned during the years the slowing the pace is not a bad thing, specially if you are facing an offensive juggernaut.

I remember doing this on that special Philly game where Deuce literally carried that Eagles' defense to victory.

Now that he has a strong running game, he has returned use this in critical games. He can go full throttle when needed, but he controls the clock in different situations.

Yesterday, I think McVay should have used Gurley on their last drive to get 2-3 first downs to kill the clock before scoring. That way, Mahomes would not have had the chance to have a winning drive.

I think Payton learned this by losing some heart-breaking games. McVay has rarely experienced defeat. He will learn.

That was the 2006 nfccg last night with more points and both teams were us

When you are going for the go ahead score eat time off the clock.

When you have workhorse backs feed them the ball.

Winning games like that is not impressive. Closing them out is.

Control the end of the game for the win. That is what great teams do.

I keep telling you guys, Sean McVay is Sean Payton's son. lol. But no one but a few enlightened or intoxicated Who Dats get it!

As I was watching the game last night, I was reflecting on how much Sean Payton has evolved in the last couple of years.

McVay is great, aggressive, pedal to the metal, but he is missing to be patient.

When the rams took the ball on their last drive, they went full speed ahead. Yes, they were able to cover the field in bunches, and had a great TD pass.

Matter of fact is, the Chiefs have already scored over 40 points, and they left them the ball with 3 time outs and over 2 minutes to play. That is enough time for Mahomes to at least tie the game, and possibly go for the win.

If Sean Payton would be in the same position right now, I think he would have gone to a very "conservative" offense, with runs and short passes. The goal would have been to advance with as many plays as possible. Just 4-5 yard plays at a time. The idea will be to kill the clock and then, go for the score.

If your defense can't stop their offense, then you keep them out of the field.

Much has been written about the Saints continue pushing for scores once the games are decided. We should not forget that backups were playing most of the 4th quarter. You just can't sit your starters for half a game.

I either take notice as their patient approach when they need to play that way. We are learning to control the game at our own terms, no matter the kind of offense we are facing. This learning process will be very important during the playoffs, specially if we need to go and play elsewhere.

Yes he sure is cause patience comes with age. But I think he may have learned his lesson in that Rams game. We were up 35-17 at half, he probably went too conservative, & they got back in the game. Maybe not but we didn’t score at all in the 3rd quarter. Fast forward to this last game and he didn’t get too conservative at all throwing it on 4th down up by 31. With the ways these big time offenses can score, you can’t get too conservative against them.

But McVay throwing the ball late in the 4th with the lead was completely stupid especially when you have the best back in the game. I got Kamara as the best offensive weapon in the game, but not quite on Gurley or even Fournette’s level as a true RUNNING back. I think he can get there though cause he is such a great running back as well.

McVay will likely go through the same growing pains Payton went through. Payton even went through a lot more AFTER we won the Super Bowl. He's going to be a great coach though.

If we play Rams again in playoffs, my hope is one of McVay's growing pains moments comes vs us. :)

I don’t think the Rams offense is as sophisticated as the Saints ‘

Their relying on superb athleticism more than schemes. They have to play action on most of their passes when it’s unnecessary. I don’t understand why the Chiefs d line didn’t catch on to this.

I see them losing to the Bears as Khalil Mack will take over that game. We’ll see what McVay is made of during that game because to me the offense has many small tricks more than being cohesive. And it’s relying on Cooks right now and he’ll fade down the stretch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom