The difference Davenport makes (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
EDIT: updating with new statistical proof from PFF:

Great article by Nick Underhill. The impact of Davenport is huge.

From the article:

“ He has already accumulated 14 pressures on 63 snaps, a rate of one every 4.5 snaps.

How the other players on the team stack up?

• Cam Jordan: One every 8.6 snaps...(I’ll leave the rest for the article , but no one else is close)...”

And...

“Still, as a group, things are getting better for the pass rush. Coincidence or not, Cam Jordan started to pick up his production after Davenport returned to the lineup. In those games, his pressure per snap rate has improved to 5.35.”

Last edited:
I was hoping Kwon Alexander could help, but he’s only had 2.5 sacks since 2016.

Sacks don't always tell the whole story. There's things like pressures, hurries, or hits that don't exactly get a light shined on them, but play a vital role in how a QB will play throughout a game. If a QB is worried about being hit hard from a big DE, then he might just hurry his throws a bit more, thus resulting in more incompletions or turnovers that don't show up on the stat sheet for said player. I'm not too familiar with Alexander outside of highlights, so it's hard to say for sure obviously.

Sacks don't always tell the whole story. There's things like pressures, hurries, or hits that don't exactly get a light shined on them, but play a vital role in how a QB will play throughout a game. If a QB is worried about being hit hard from a big DE, then he might just hurry his throws a bit more, thus resulting in more incompletions or turnovers that don't show up on the stat sheet for said player. I'm not too familiar with Alexander outside of highlights, so it's hard to say for sure obviously.
Another interesting stat would be "holding penalties caused." I am thinking of last year's opener when Ramczyk held J.J.Watt to zero sacks but committed a hold against Watt. Holding penalties are drive killers in many cases and can nullify big gains.

This is why sacks aren't necessarily the best indicator of who is getting pressure.

Exactly, pressures are key. Anything that disrupts the play, MD is by far our most consistent effective pass rusher. You have to think the first few games he shakes off a little rust, I think the best is yet to come (if he can stay healthy). He will make our D better....

I remember when we were hoping for some good DB's, specifically CBs. We have them now & our D has benefited from it. That hope for me has shifted to LBs.

Teams that have good to great LB duos are usually at the top of best Defenses, imo. Wagner & KJ Wright, Bears' Travathan & Roquan. Panthers had a great LB duo for some time in Luke & Thomas. Bucs now have the best in our division. We will see what DD & KA can do for us.

And yet Hendrickson has the most sacks.
For now, b/c he has played in every game, unlike Davenport. Davenport is unquestionably our most explosive and talented DE now, even more so than Cam, who is either not 100% recovered from last year's injury yet and still rounding into form or has taken a step back due to age. We have to hope Davenport can stay healthy the entire season b/c he makes a noticeable impact when he's in the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom