The direct snap to Deuce yesterday (1 Viewer)

I think drew was in the motion of changing to the shotgun personally.

Is this play on YouTube or anything? I heard the radio broadcast, but have not seen any highlights.

I'm not sure Drew was under center i remember he and Deuce both in the backfield. I had no idea it wasnt a designed snap until i read it on here. Looked like the old direcTsnap to me. I did hear Drew deny it on ESPN highlights tho. Who knows, just hope they do it again.

From Page2 of ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061114

Adventures in Officiating: Facing second-and-goal on the Pittsburgh 4, the Saints appeared to execute a bouncing direct-snap to tailback Deuce McAllister, who ran for the touchdown. Announcers debated whether it was a trick play or a botched snap. It was the latter, and the official Game Book lists the play as a fumble by center Jeff Faine. Overlooked -- there should have been a penalty! Direct-snapping to a running back is legal only if the quarterback never places his hands under center; once someone places his hands under center, only that person can receive the snap. Drew Brees was under center when this happened. Rule 7-3-4 states, "Any extension of hands by a player under center as if to receive the snap is a false start unless, while under center, he receives the snap."

I'm not sure Drew was under center i remember he and Deuce both in the backfield. I had no idea it wasnt a designed snap until i read it on here. Looked like the old direcTsnap to me. I did hear Drew deny it on ESPN highlights tho. Who knows, just hope they do it again.

Yep. Drew was under center.

The overall turnout has failed anyone to ask Fain and Brees what happened on the snap? For the roll the ball to roll like it did i would think fain never get the ball off the ground. If he had snapped the ball it would have dropped straight down and not rolled 4 yards back.

I kinda think it was a risky trick play but then again Brees did not look like he knew where the ball was and they did not need to be that tricky to score. Has Fain said anything?

I think it was a trick play, but was supposed to be direct snap to Duece. What wasn't planned was the bounce. That did suprise Duece, but the line apeared to open a hole for him and Brees didn't react, then sold the fake pass.

I think they are covering it up now to use it again later this year, perhaps to Reggie. Just my two cents.

Yeah. Drew Brees said on morning radio yesterday that it was a pass play. Faine said the ball got stuck in the turf and kind of just went awry on him. Luckily we had Deuce back in max-protect, and he knew what to do with the rock.

TPS

Note to Coaches: Incorporate the direct snap to Deuce in the playbook. Correct me if my memory is faulty but I can't remember that play being anything but money everytime McCarthy called it.

I believe that would constitute illlegal motion or illegal formation or false start. I dont think the QB or any of the backs are allowed to be moving forward during the snap.

Watch Peyton Manning one Sunday....By talking I mean acting like he's trying to alert his O-line or a RB to a certain coverage....happens all the time

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom