The direct snap to Deuce yesterday (1 Viewer)

Pat

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
was intended to be a pass to Copper. Sean Payton said so on WWL while ago.

In the past, the Steelers probably would've recovered the fumble and returned it 98 yards for a score. Our luck is changing, too bad we couldn't squeak out the win.

Did you notice that Drew Brees did not chase after the "bad snap"? Rather he stood up and faked a pass play....talk about quick thinking!!!

I was wondering whether Drew was really looking for the ball or did a superior job of "selling" a direct snap to Deuce that went awry. After that I thought to myself, "We're just meant to win this one."

I think we were supposed to win.

I was wondering whether Drew was really looking for the ball or did a superior job of "selling" a direct snap to Deuce that went awry. After that I thought to myself, "We're just meant to win this one."

I think we were supposed to win.

While watching, I was sure it was a bad snap to Deuce based upon Brees' fake pass motion. Great timing for a trick play, caught the Steelers off guard (no pun intended).
When I heard that Peyton said that it was supposed to be a pass, it was even more impressive that Brees and Deuce made it look like a trick play.

Go Saints!!!

When I heard that Peyton said that it was supposed to be a pass, it was even more impressive that Brees and Deuce made it look like a trick play.

Go Saints!!!

Payton said that Deuce did very well responding to it.

It looked very much like a trick play but I guess it wasn't. It was great all the same. Nobody went crazy, duece just scooped it up and was gone.

My theory? It was a trick play, but the snap was a bad one that happened to work out, so everybody's selling it as a busted play so that we can use the direct snap effectively and unexpectedly again at some point in the future. Or maybe I forgot my crazy pills this morning, either one.

Very unlikely that was a trick play....Brees is UNDER center when the ball is snapped...Faine couldn't have gotten the ball to Deuce in the air had he been trying to. That being said, they do need to start using that play...but have Brees leaning over talking to a Guard or Tackle or a RB when they do it...that play has always been successful for Deuce.

I still think it was a trick play, but Coach P is not giving it away! We've done the quick snap to Deuce before.

I still think it was a trick play, but Coach P is not giving it away!

I want to think so, too. After watching the replay, Drew seemed to be looking for a receiver as opposed to a fumbled snap. He never looked around like he didn't have the ball. How many qbs do you know of that doesn't realize he doesn't have the ball on the snap and starts looking down and around to find it? I know these guys are good and quick thinking but ..... well if it wasn't a designed play their brain works a lot faster than the average bear. I have yet been able to see where the ball comes from. Does it go through Drew's legs or to the outside of his leg? Either way it had to hit him first and that caused the ball to look like a bad snap. Great Play!!! IMHO.

It was clearly a trick play that went awry. I think Brees has great instincts and, were that a bad snap on the goal line, he would have immediately pounced on it, or at least we would have seen an oh @#*! look in his eyes, but he never seemed to even notice that he had not received the ball. Also, look at the blocking scheme. If that was not a run, the line sure blocked like it was.

It was a bad snap, Duece was shaking his head after he ran it in. Almost saying I can't believe we almost coughed it up on the one yard line. What made it look set up was the gigantic hole on the left side of the line he ran through. IIRC after that Duece had the whole offense together giving a pep talk. Just a heads up play by our best player.

Very unlikely that was a trick play....Brees is UNDER center when the ball is snapped...Faine couldn't have gotten the ball to Deuce in the air had he been trying to. That being said, they do need to start using that play...but have Brees leaning over talking to a Guard or Tackle or a RB when they do it...that play has always been successful for Deuce.
I believe that would constitute illlegal motion or illegal formation or false start. I dont think the QB or any of the backs are allowed to be moving forward during the snap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom