The Dolly Parton is an American Treasure Thread (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Wow.

Just watched the A&E documentary on her (airs tomorrow also 7:00-9:00).....she is absolutely incredible.

Great writer, great voice, unreal personality....and everything she touches turns to gold.

She wrote Jolene and I Will Always Love You in the same night.

Both becoming absolutely legendary monster hits.

And if you’ve been to Dollywood, you’ll know her successes there as well.

Great story about starting in 9-5...as Jane Fonda insisted that Dolly act beside her and Lily Tomlin....Dolly agreed on one occasion....that she could write the song for the movie.

Fonda agreed.....and one afternoon she knocked in out in an hour in her trailer.

She came out to first sing to Jane....and said what do you think if this....as she sings 9-5 using her acrylic nails for the beat. As soon as she finished, Jane says....I had total goosebumps.
She told Dolly that’s more than just a movie ding, that’s an anthem.
Sure enough.....it’s been 35 years ago....and is an anthem that everyone knows.

It was a great documentary of her raising (1 of 11 kids) in a dirt poor mountain shack to mega star.

Last edited:
It plays tonight from 11pm till 1am as well.

My wife is a big fan, and she hates country music. But we've gotten books from imagination library, and my wife has gone to a few of her concerts. Last time she performed in NOLA. Just a beautiful person. Have her coat of many colors and other specials from tv and most of her movies. Wife adores her the same way she absolutely loves Cher, Elton John, Michael Jackson, and Bush. I go broke anytime they perform in TX, LA, or MS

I clicked because when i saw her name my heart dropped thinking something bad happened. Been to Dollywood when i was 13, was great too.

My favorite story about Dolly, and one of my favorite stories of all time, was one that i heard told by one of her costars (cant remember which one) on a late night talk show (cant remember which one) years ago about working with Dolly on the old movie Steel Magnolias.. This actress said they were shooting at night, and it was an unseasonably cold night in Natchitoches La where they filmed the movie.. she said she was sitting on a back porch with Dolly, at 3am, after they’d been working for 16 or 17 hrs, and that they were freezing their arses off while the crew set up another shot, and everyone was *****ing and complaining .. she looked at Dolly who was just sitting quiet and smiling, and said, “Can you believe this? It’s freezing cold and theyre taking forever”... She said Dolly just looked at her, smiled and said “When i was a little girl, growing up poor- all i ever wanted to be was rich and famous.. Now I’m both, so you wont hear me complaining.”

You just cant teach that type of humility.

No one doesnt like Dolly.. i mean, i cant think of another public figure who’s been around as long as she has, and who inspires almost universal admiration.. i think she’s a genius for being able to pull that off, and there isnt an insincere bone in her body.

Outstanding way to put it......inspires universal admiration.

I grew up with the "dolly Parton behind a tree" joke so I'm well aware of her hotness back then. It amazes me how she, along with an obviously great surgeon, has prolonged that into her mid 70's. Think about that.....mid 70's. While she's not the only not one to go later in life like that the only other one that could maybe approach that is Jennifer Aniston. She's going to be a knockout for decades. Cher is another one that comes to mind though.

She’s an American Treasure.

I’m not being facetious.

Lord I handed out a ‘meh’ and to one of my favorite people here. I feel terrible. Very seldom get involved in anything but a smiley emoji.

However, I couldn’t refrain. My Dad worked with her and she’s not at all a nice person. At all.
Right up there in her nastiness with Reba.

I will admit as a youth I was enamored with her two amazing skills. They were very big skills.

Lord I handed out a ‘meh’ and to one of my favorite people here. I feel terrible. Very seldom get involved in anything but a smiley emoji.

However, I couldn’t refrain. My Dad worked with her and she’s not at all a nice person. At all.
Right up there in her nastiness with Reba.

That’s shocking.

I’ve seriously never heard that, ever, and I’ve heard so many people talk about her, over so many years.....you’d think it would have come out somewhere along the line.
At least once.
I will admit as a youth I was enamored with her two amazing skills. They were very big skills.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom