The Dome Patrol (1 Viewer)

what's funny about that is in the Saints-Panthers game, Daryl Johnston said something like Luke Kuechly & Thomas Davis are "maybe the greatest set of linebackers ever".

he ACTUALLY said this. DURING a Saints game. he needs to be smacked with a rolled up Dome Patrol poster.

Others can say what they want, but those of us who watched the Dome Patrol every week got the privilege of seeing one of the greatest defenses ever. If Only Bobby Hebert could have completed a 3rd down throw beyond 5 yards we would have been SB bound.

I know this is sacrilegious to many, but i thought Swilling was the best. He so reminded me of Laurence Taylor. He was so disruptive.

And we already have (EDIT) two Red Thumbs. Poor souls. I guess they didn't get to the thrill of watching the Dome Patrol. Or their brothers used to drop them on their heads when they were babies. That's so sad

well , we knew that, only time the whole unit went to a pro bowl

Man miss those guys! May have gotten a super bowl with them if it wasn't for Carl Smith.

They get the recognition they deserve from the people that seen them play. The bad thing is they played prior to there being so many ways to watch. Unless they were on Monday night, the nation didn't get to see how dominate they were. Well, until the pro bowl. That defense was a force. We talk about our defense not having one person for other teams to plan for, that defense, teams had to plan for almost all 11. It was fun to watch. Our offense for the last 10 years, and that defense, they would have more Lombardi trophies than any team.

Ahh, great memories. It's hard to really say who was better. All were so good in their own ways. Rickey was so tough and physical and all over the field. Swilling was incredibly fast off the edge. Mills had the intelligence and often times knew exactly what play the offense would run. Johnson was just a maniac. Hard and physical hits.

Hate when these announcers talk about Keuchley and Davis about the "best ever." Those GOAT and best in history titles get thrown around way too much by announcers.

Even the Dome Patrol had it's bad games. I'll never forgive that first playoff game against the Vikings in the Dome. What a crushing lost.

I know this is sacrilegious to many, but i thought Swilling was the best. He so reminded me of Laurence Taylor. He was so disruptive.

Swilling had a few good years, RJ had like 12, no comparison really. Also if you noticed once Swilling did not have RJ on the other side his production declined...just sayin...I loved Swilling while he was here but he was no RJ...There is a reason the guy is a HOFer....

Jackson when it comes to career length, total sacks, tackles and just all around play was the best of the bunch. Sam was close, and the second best. That defense knew where to be, who to cover, what was going where because of him and there were very few times he didn't have a perfect tackle. Johnson was an exceptional complimentary piece as the enforcer. However, swilling to me was always the overrated cleanup crew. You had Jackson and Martin off one side, the vastly, vastly under appreciated Jim Wilkes in the middle and generally Warren sealing off the edge and no slouch himself. Swilling was a one dimensional speed rusher. That was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom