The Dome Patrol (1 Viewer)

I was not even born yet when the dome patrol came around, but if Drew had this defense today, we would have won four superbowls.

Wasn't Bum Phillips the DC at the time? Who do you think was more responsible for the creation of the Dome Patrol? I wasn't around at the time so I'm just curious

I believe his name was Steve Sidwell.

Wasn't Bum Phillips the DC at the time? Who do you think was more responsible for the creation of the Dome Patrol? I wasn't around at the time so I'm just curious

Bum was never DC for the Saints. Bum was HC before Mora was hired...and Wade Phillips was his DC. Steve Sidwell was the Saints' DC at that time...Dom Capers was DB coach.

Dukes: Dome Patrol featured the best set of LBs in league history - NFL.com

Deep in the fourth quarter of a late-November showdown with the Steelers at Three Rivers Stadium, the Saints' defense has its back to the end zone, trying to protect a 20-14 lead as Pittsburgh faces a first-and-goal from the 4-yard line.

The Saints are riding a four-game winning streak, but the stakes are higher than simply pushing that run to five straight. A victory for New Orleans clinches a winning record for the 1987 season -- a feat that has yet to be accomplished in the franchise's 20-year history.

The home crowd's deafening roar descends upon the field, attempting to will the Steelers into the end zone.

Two straight runs at the heart of New Orleans' vaunted front seven net Pittsburgh just 3 yards, with key tackles by middle linebacker Vaughan Johnson and Pro Bowl outside linebacker Rickey Jackson. Precious seconds erode from the game clock.

"Like throwing popcorn at a battle ship, trying to run inside like that," former Chiefs head coach Hank Stram quips alongside Tim Brant from the CBS Sports booth. He's been barking for the Steelers to try something to the outside. And on third-and-goal, Stram gets his wish.

Together they formed the most dominant linebacking corps the league has ever seen. Over the course of their six seasons starting together, they'd go on to set numerous records, earn a combined 13 trips to the Pro Bowl and march the Saints to the playoffs four separate times while leading a defense that was feared across the league. And as the franchise celebrates its 50th anniversary, their indelible impact demands to be reexamined.

They were the Dome Patrol.

Great stuff! Good memories. It's almost funny that we can't find an NFL caliber starting LB today to save our lives.

The Dome Patrol | NFL.com

Finally some good history as far as the Saints are concerned. I want to forget about recent defense history being made by the team.

what's funny about that is in the Saints-Panthers game, Daryl Johnston said something like Luke Kuechly & Thomas Davis are "maybe the greatest set of linebackers ever".

he ACTUALLY said this. DURING a Saints game. he needs to be smacked with a rolled up Dome Patrol poster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom