The downfall of society...... (1 Viewer)

My wife and I occasionally take a few days to go camping with no devices. We canoe and fish, turning on cell phones once a day to make sure there are no emergencies. The rest of the time we're constantly connected.

Why do you love me
Why do you need me
Always and forever

We met in a chat room
Now our love can fully bloom
Sure, the World Wide Web is great
But you, you make me 'salvivate'

Yes, I love technology
But not as much as you, you see
But I still love technology
Always and forever

I might be the only human on the planet banging this drum, but I would absolutely LOVE to see all cell phones placed in a rocket, sent to the moon, and left for the rocks and craters.

Now I have an IPhone 6. And I'm completely addicted to it. I realize that.

But that doesn't mean I can't stand the concept and would be the first to sign if they were outlawed.

I spent last week at Disney World.

Disney World!!!! The place is just awesome for a family vacation.

And I can not begin to tell you how many people spent the vacation with their faces buried in their phones.

Walking down main street. About to board Space Mountain. During the electrical parade. Going up the lift hill on Everest. Their is no time or place that someone is not "needing" to check email/text/facebook/instagram.

Families in the restaurants eating......it just kills me. I saw multiple families during the week where every single person was on their device. Every person.

Tonight, driving the 25 minute drive from Marietta GA to Canton Ga, I'd say about half of the people I passed had their phone out. It's really easy to see at night as this bright beacon of light is shining up.

This is DRIVING UP THE INTERSTATE.

Beyond insane this addiction.

And check out the day the next newest model of phone is released. People will be lined up around the block like they are giving out free water bottles in the desert. For what?? Higher resolution on pictures. More emoji options?

And hey, I love texting. And surfing SR. But I would trade it all for some freaking relief from these phones.

I was in the doctors office two weeks ago, about 8 people in the waiting room, all 8 on their phones.

Can we just embrace the few moments of quiet boredom, read an out of date magazine, maybe not have to be instantly "entertained" every second.

I would say the actual good thing about phones is knowing where your kids are, especially as my daughter started driving last year.

That's it.

I truly think we will have an upcoming generation of the laziest, out of shape, no grit/work ethic people we've ever seen.

They can't communicate with others properly because they don't have to.

Give a 3 year old an IPAD and just watch. They will move around that thing like Bill Gates.

But fortunately we have them for concert recordings.

It's so nice that we have thousands of absolutely shi++ee videos of bands playing. So thankful for that.

Also I can't tell you how excited I am that my friends post what they eat.....pictures of it.

I guess I'm over sensitive to it following Disney, but it's out of control. Everywhere you look, peoples faces are buried in cyberspace on a 4 inch screen.

I would love to picture a world without cell phones for 1 year.

I'm not even against computers at your house. Just the instant access, every second, every single place you go.

Sorry.....just had to get it off my chest :covri:
I agree with you.
(Typed from my iPhone while I sit on the toilet doing my morning business)

i think what's more concerning is that people have instant access to information and still choose to be ignorant af

i think what's more concerning is that people have instant access to information and still choose to be ignorant af

And instant participation in spreading misinformation

In the 20s, it was radio.
In the 40s, it was movie theaters.
In the 50s, it was TV.
In the 70s, it was disco.
In the 80s, it was MTV

In the 90s, it was the Internet.
Now, it's cell phones.
Nothing new. It's just the same old song and dance.

Added.

Want to have some fun?
Play the game..."hide your teenagers phone"...
and just sit back and watch.

I did that once. It was funny as hell... except for my daughter. :hihi:

I think part of the problem is that we are oversaturated with information now days.
For Example, I remember when I was a kid (back in the 70's), we only got news about football on Sunday and Monday....and that was it. You had to wait all week to get information on your favorite team. By the time Sunday rolled around, you were starving for news. You looked forward to Sunday and you couldn't hardley wait.
When "Inside the N.F.L." eventually came out on Thursday's on H.B.O., it was such a treat b/c you got to see highlights of all the teams in action.
Today, the second something happens, you hear about it. By the time news gets to the 5 oclock news, or the paper the next day, it's old news.
I just feel like we appreciated things more when we didn't always have access to it.
It's the same thing with music. If you didn't have the money to buy a record or album, you had to wait until they played your favorite song on the radio. "Wait" being the key word here.
We live in a "fast-food" society and although there are many advantages, we've lost a lot of the things that made the little things in life so special.

oh and
angry-senior.gif

“We were keeping our eye on 1984. When the year came and the prophecy didn't, thoughtful Americans sang softly in praise of themselves. The roots of liberal democracy had held. Wherever else the terror had happened, we, at least, had not been visited by Orwellian nightmares.

But we had forgotten that alongside Orwell's dark vision, there was another - slightly older, slightly less well known, equally chilling: Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Contrary to common belief even among the educated, Huxley and Orwell did not prophesy the same thing. Orwell warns that we will be overcome by an externally imposed oppression. But in Huxley's vision, no Big Brother is required to deprive people of their autonomy, maturity and history. As he saw it, people will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think.

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us.

https://www.amazon.com/Amusing-Ourselves-Death-Discourse-Business/dp/014303653X

I think part of the problem is that we are oversaturated with information now days.
For Example, I remember when I was a kid (back in the 70's), we only got news about football on Sunday and Monday....and that was it. You had to wait all week to get information on your favorite team. By the time Sunday rolled around, you were starving for news. You looked forward to Sunday and you couldn't hardley wait.
When "Inside the N.F.L." eventually came out on Thursday's on H.B.O., it was such a treat b/c you got to see highlights of all the teams in action.
Today, the second something happens, you hear about it. By the time news gets to the 5 oclock news, or the paper the next day, it's old news.
I just feel like we appreciated things more when we didn't always have access to it.
It's the same thing with music. If you didn't have the money to buy a record or album, you had to wait until they played your favorite song on the radio. "Wait" being the key word here.
We live in a "fast-food" society and although there are many advantages, we've lost a lot of the things that made the little things in life so special.

Was reading your post and immediately started to respond about music. There was time when you would wait in a line to go to a record store to get an album on it's release date because you genuinely wanted to know what it sounded like.

Now you can see what your favorite artist ate for breakfast, why go see a show when you can pull it up and watch it at home on youtube?

The same could be said about musicianship. I remember when the internet was becoming a huge thing for learning guitar. With all the instant advantage we have to look up lesson material and such, you'd think we'd have a legion of amazing musicians, instead kids have completely lost interest all together.

perhaps OP oversells a bit with apokalyptikos. Maybe we should just say its not good or "not to do"

Its true that people have always had monkey mind but the interwebz and the devices that have continued to allow us to get there easier and easier, have clearly exacerbated the problem. I have not really developed a phone addiction. I did have to rein in an interwebz addiction though so I try to avoid those things that would aid me slipping back into that.

People have to wake up by their own decision. Many people will and the rest of the world around them will continue to sleep walk.

zmh1tmp9n8mnjqedo9yv.gif

Yeah! Having all the knowledge in the known universe at your fingertips 24/7 is the worst!

It is probably the greatest thing that has happened to human society/culture since the invention of writing. All of human knowledge is now stored externally (from our brains) and is available for access by any other human, anywhere, at any time. 99% of it is anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom