The Draft isn't what it use to be (1 Viewer)

I rather enjoyed the peak into the real lives of the players and coaches. The hold up the Jersey and Hat schtick of prior years was getting old.

There is a bare minimum of actual excitement to the draft
Whatever the result won’t/wouldn’t have an impact until months later
Whatever entertainment there is to be had was always only going to be that which the watcher put in it -
Now the OP doesn’t get a return on his investment of time
He’s taking a step back and saying ‘huh, this is kinda dumb’
But the truth is that it was always kinda umb
The dumb part IMO, is trying to expand well beyond the audience beyond the true or casual sports fans. The attempts to milk it for more than it is. Trying to create a gameday-like fan frenzy or draft Mardi Gras atmosphere. There is an interest to the draft proceedings and how they unfold in real time. It is interesting to football fans since it first started on the fledgling all sports network with Chris Berman and a "draft guru" with a hair helmet. The interviews, the highlights of players we knew nothing about, the anticipation of the selections and watching certain darlings inexplicably drop beyond their perceived slots is what it is based on. Dressing it up and building on the quality of the broadcast is fine and to be expected, even adding an element of theatre. But at it's core it is an interesting (to fans) selection process that the theatrics and extended length are becoming comical. A comparable example is the sideline roving Booger camera/commentary. Okay, to give it a try, but be smart enough to realize when it's simply stupid.

I simply feel that they hit on a good balance with the Friday (1 to 3 rounds) and Satuday (format). I used to watch 80 to 90% of the draft when it was more condensed. The reason I barely watch 20 to 30% of it now has everything to do with the format.

So, I agree with you that the OP and I have taken a step back and said this is kinda dumb. I just don't think it was always dumb.

I use to look forward to the Draft like a kid looks forward to Christmas morning. I recall my family and I use to have draft parties, crawfish boils, etc just to celebrate and see how the draft will play out.
Even if there wasn't a party going on, I would sit in front the TV (on mute), while listening to Mike Detillier, his draft guide or on NFL.com's draft profile page looking at prospects.
Of course this is before the draft was changed to the format that it is now. The NFL has milked and water down the draft experience for the sake of money, but I am not a fan of the draft being held over 3 days. However I do like the shortened rounds, but I miss the 2-day drafts.

From a Saints fan perspective, these past few drafts have been a little tough to predict. Also the lack of picks can minimize the attention to the draft program itself. I recall after we draft a player, I would watch highlights and imagine that player making the same exact plays with the Saints, etc. However as i've gotten older, it's been tough to view the draft the same.

Is it just me or has others experienced this?
I don't like the fact that they went over the top on how the player reached their goals of getting to the NFL. I miss the fan reaction of having a live event.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom