The DRC hype.... (1 Viewer)

i could'nt have said it any better. COMBINES DONT MEAN ANYTHING! PUT THE PADS ON AND HIT SOMEBODY. JASON DAVID PROBABLY WOULD DO GOOD AT A COMBINE. The kid that i KNOW FOR A FACT THAT WILL BE A IMPACT PLAYER IS AQUIB TALIB! ITS FUNNY HOW U GUYS IS OVER LOOKING HIM! He was the heart and soul of that Kansas Defense that everyone slept on!! ALL AMERICAN AND ALL BIG 12 AND ORANGE BOWL MVP

47 of 92 passes thrown talib's way were completed.
that is the most out of any of the top 5 CBs in the draft
(drc, talib, cason, mckelvin, jenkins)

this is ridiculous. you can find a usc game almost every week of the college football season. he was trying to make a point that i personally agree with. cromartie's draft status hsa gone up because he had a good forty and has a successful family member in the NFL.

really?

you have seen mike jenkins play more than one game? and watched him in particular to evaluate his skills?

same with mckelvin? same with ellis? same with rivers? you can have watched usc games and not paid attention to particular players.

i watch tons of college football and never knew who the hell keith rivers was before the draft talk began. probably because other LBs on his own team were better. maluaga etc...

i seriously doubt the majority of people on this site have watched each and every one of these players IN detail during the year and can accurately compare their skills

That's the deal with DRC.....you read about what his coaches & trainers say, what former star NFL players say about him, you watch his highlights and then make your own decision on his ability as a Pro.

He didn't play at a major University and the crowds were really small...that's a fact. He dominated at the Combine & Senior Bowl...that's a fact.
Yeah, I saw 2 of his games and a highlight tape during the season via internet methods. Because I don't get the station that broadcasts college football here I just took the most interesting sounding matchups.
I was very intrigued by him. He looked a man among boys on some downs but I'll say it some downs he sort of came out like 'I shouldn't even be playing at this standard' and made a mistake.
I also use NFL Draft Countdown for a lot of my info as this was my first year with interest in college football/the draft so I didn't know whether he was a good prospect or not. Scott Wright from that site was making him out to be a beast too.
It also helps that in 2 games I saw him return an INT for a TD and a kick for a TD.
I was on here asking for him to be had in the 3rd or 4th. That became the 2nd, and then the 1st.
I couldn't even get the senior bowl, but all reports from his play on here were what I thought he was capable of. I also read up on his interviews, and views of TSU fans.
I thought he'd do great at the combine, and he did.

I still don't really understand how he can raise from a 4th to a top ten pick in a matter of about 2 months though.

47 of 92 passes thrown talib's way were completed.
that is the most out of any of the top 5 CBs in the draft
(drc, talib, cason, mckelvin, jenkins)

Yes, but that takes in no account where it was thrown, was its a screen, a quick release, was it soft zone coverage? You stat takes nothing into account. Also 37 percent of DRC passes were complete and he went up against D2 Qb's and WR's.

I'd ask you to look up thier yds allowed per catch to get a more telling stat. But Talib is the only top corner under 10 yds per catch. But you won;t tell us that, because its dosen't support your boy.

Yes, but that takes in no account where it was thrown, was its a screen, a quick release, was it soft zone coverage? You stat takes nothing into account. Also 37 percent of DRC passes were complete and he went up against D2 Qb's and WR's.

I'd ask you to look up thier yds allowed per catch to get a more telling stat. But Talib is the only top corner under 10 yds per catch. But you won;t tell us that, because its dosen't support your boy.

maybe because i didn't know? i only mentioned one stat. i was looking up the other ones right now..

i could'nt have said it any better. COMBINES DONT MEAN ANYTHING! PUT THE PADS ON AND HIT SOMEBODY. JASON DAVID PROBABLY WOULD DO GOOD AT A COMBINE. The kid that i KNOW FOR A FACT THAT WILL BE A IMPACT PLAYER IS AQUIB TALIB! ITS FUNNY HOW U GUYS IS OVER LOOKING HIM! He was the heart and soul of that Kansas Defense that everyone slept on!! ALL AMERICAN AND ALL BIG 12 AND ORANGE BOWL MVP

Hey you can't talk like that on this board without a certian Jordy Nelson clip jammed down your throat, that d3vanj is uploading as we speak...... 3....2.....1..

maybe because i didn't know? i only mentioned one stat. i was looking up the other ones right now..

Um you have posted that stat 300 times along with that Jordy Nelson clip, I would think you would have read that site over and over thru and thru and have picked up on that. You like it enough. Interesting enough I know the site your looking at and its also credits Aqib Talib with 252 3rd down stops (probably a typo, but what else can we be sure isn't), compared to DRC's 15. SO take that for whats it worth on your "super site".

DRC:
2007: Started all eleven games at left cornerback, as he recorded 37 tackles (28 solos) with two stops for losses of 8 yards…Recovered two fumbles and gained 16 yards on four punt returns…Deflected eleven passes and intercepted two others for 140 yards in returns and two touchdowns…Set the school season-record by blocking four kicks…Gained 806 yards with a score on 33 kickoff returns (24.4 avg)…Also saw brief action on offense, rushing twice for 16 yards while coming up with a 38-yard reception… Made nineteen of his plays on third-down action, including sixteen vs. the pass…Of the sixty passes targeted into his area, he held the opposition to 22 receptions for 262 yards (11.91 avg per completion), three touchdowns and an average of 4.37 yards per pass attempt. 11 GP; 11 GS; 47 TT, 2 TFL, 6 INT, 7 PBU, 1 BLK; 1st team All-Ohio Valley in '06. 11 GP; 11 GS; 41 TT, 3 TFL, 1 INT, 4 PBU; KR 2-34-17.0-0 in '05. 11 GP; 11 GS; 33 TT, 1 TFL, 2 INT, 3 PBU, 1 BLK; PR 1-11-11-0; KR 1-19-19-0 in '04.

Talib:
2007: Started all year at left cornerback and also held the distinction of starting on both offense and defense in the same game vs. Kansas State…Ranked sixth on the squad with 66 tackles (42 solos), including 3.5 stops for losses of 8 yards…Deflected thirteen passes and had five interceptions, as he set a school season-record with 195 yards in returns and tied another mark with two pass thefts for touchdowns…On offense, he caught eight of thirteen passes thrown to him, good for 182 yards (22.8 avg) and four touchdowns…Also rushed once for a 6-yard loss…Returned two punts for 21 yards (10.5 avg)…Had 92 passes targeted into his area, with 47 being caught by the opposition for 459 yards (9.77-yard average per completion/4.99 yards per pass attempt) and a touchdown…Made 61 of his plays vs. the pass and 23 others vs. the run…Rerouted the opposing receivers on 27 plays, as he made six goal-line tackles…Credited with 252 third-down stops and two more on fourth-down activity. 10 GP; 10 GS; 42 TT, 2 TFL, 6 INT, 22 PBU, 1 QBH; Suspended 2 games for violating team rules. Played in and started 10 games, second-team All-America, All-Big 12 First Team in '06. 11 GP; 9 GS; 54 TT, 4 TFL, 2 INT, 8 PBU, 2 FF; An All-Big 12 honorable-mention in '05. Redshirt in '04.

McKelvin:
2007: All-Sun Belt Conference first-team choice…Started all twelve games at left cornerback, coming up with 60 tackles (50 solos), including 2.5 stops for losses of 6 yards…Caused three fumbles and recovered another, advancing that turnover 36 yards…Deflected nine passes and intercepted two others for minus 9 yards…Led the league and ranked fourth in the nation with 436 yards and three touch-downs on 25 punt returns (17.44 avg)…Finished third in the Sun Belt with 33 kickoff returns for a school season-record 765 yards (23.2 avg), topping his own mark of 634 yards in 2006…Led the team and ranked eighth in the conference with 1,228 all-purpose yards…Had 70 passes targeted into his territory, as the opposition caught 34 of those tosses (48.57%) for 407 yards (11.97-yard average per completion/5.81-yard average per attempt), no touchdowns and eleven first downs, as he prevented the receivers from getting to 25 throws while breaking up eleven others (nine deflections/two pass thefts)… Made fifteen of his plays on third-down and two more on fourth-down snaps…Turned the ball over once on three fumbles. 13 GP; 13 GS; PR 28-314-11.2-1; KR 27-634-23.5-0; 66 TT, 1 TFL, 1 INT, 7 PBU, 2 QBH, 2 FF; 2nd team All-Sun Belt at RS in '06. 11 GP; 0 GS; PR 33-417-12.6-1 KR 24-619-25.8-1; 30 TT, 1 TFL, 1 SK, 5 PBU; First team All-Sun Belt honors as a return man by averaging 25.8 yards per kickoff return and 12.6 yards on punt returns in '05. 12 GP; 0 GS; PR 26-304-11.7-2 KR 15-328-21.9-0; 17 TT, 1 INT, 1 PBU in '04.

Jenkins:
2007: Started all thirteen games at right cornerback, as he was part of a secondary that ranked eighth in the nation in pass efficiency defense (105.27 rating) and 34th in pass defense (212.08 ypg)…Recorded a career-high 41 tackles (31 solos), four stops for losses of 17 yards and a quarterback pressure…Deflected twelve passes and intercepted three others for 41 yards in returns (13.7 avg)…Took over kickoff return duties later in the year, gaining 213 yards and a touchdown on seven attempts (30.4 avg)…Had 68 passes targeted into his area, as the opposition caught 28 of those throws (41.18%) for 348 yards (12.43 avg) and three touchdowns…Defended fifteen passes and prevented his main pass coverage assignment from getting to 25 other tosses…Made 29 plays on third-down and was penalized five times while also fumbling the ball once. 13 GP; 13 GS; 27 TT, 1 TFL, 1 INT, 15 PBU, 1 FF; KR: 2-27-13.5-0; Suspended after arrest for misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest without violence in March '07. 12 GP; 12 GS; 38 TT, 1 TFL, 2 INT, 5 PBU, 2 FF; PR 1-27-27-0; Second team all-Big East selection in '05. 10 GP; 3 GS; 27 TT, 9 PBU, 2 FF, 1 BLK; PR 1-7-7-0 in '04.

Cason:
2007: Started all twelve games at weak-side cornerback, ranking third on the team with a career-high 71 tackles (56 solos), including a 6-yard sack and four stops for losses of 12 yards…Caused two fumbles and deflected a team-high fourteen passes…Tied Nate Ness for the team lead and both ranked second in the league with five interceptions…Gained 164 yards with two interceptions on those five pass thefts…Made 56 of his stops vs. the pass, coming up with 26 third-down hits, including six in run support…Also made one fourth-down stop and tackled the opponent four times for no gain…Made seven of his tackles inside the red zone…Of the 73 passes targeted to his area, the opposition caught 23 for 258 yards (11.2 avg), two touchdowns and twelve first downs (held the opposition to 3.53 yards per pass attempt)…Allowed seven more first downs on 29 running plays he participated in. 12 GP; 12 GS; 62 TT, 2 TFL, 3 INT, 7 PBU, 1 FF; Playboy 2007 All-America… Candidate for Lott Trophy and Thorpe Award… First-team All-Pacific-10 Conference honors in 2006. 11 GP; 11 GS; 50 TT, 2.5 TFL, 3 INT, 5 PBU in '05. 11 GP; 11 GS; 70 TT, 5.5 TFL, 4 INT, 6 PBU, 3 FF; Started 11 games as a true freshman in 2004, earning All-Pac-10 honorable mention.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com

I like how one person has answered the OP, and said 2 games. Everyone else just rips him and says how many games did you see of Ellis or Rivers and watching games is a poor indicator of talent.

When in doubt, change the subject.

Ok, how many of us have actually seen this guy play some games?

Athleticism can be judged in 10 seconds. DRC is one of those tall, smooth, fast, powerful athletes that doesn't come along often. I saw him make an excellent play in the SR Bowl. He closed on the receiver, skyed over the top, and batted the ball away while maintaining excellent body control to avoid contact. That's rare and priceless talent. Right then and there I thought to myself "I bet he will do that 1000 more times in his career".

Personally, I hope we can land a top 4 DL. But if we grab DRC at 10, I won't be truly disappointed. He may not win us as many games as an Ellis or Gholston, but he will be great fun to watch for the next 10 years.

I haven't watched any, but I would watch DRC's games if I could find some, he impressed me at the senior bowl though.

but I know that he was amazing in his division 2 school, he was a projected 3-4 round pick(before the senior bowl) you have to be pretty good in a small school to be projected that highly that early, He played on a terrible team, they only won 5 games last season and some of the the games that they won were close, so he had to play with little to no pass rush, and probally not very good saftey help even for a divison II school. But for DRC to stand out and be successful as a cornerback on that team is very impressive. I know that most people wouldn't care about that, but I'll say it anyway and get yelled at by a few people.

Last edited:
sort of like you? i like how you didnt answer the question either but still feel compelled to flame those who did the same thing as you.

anyway, to answer the question, no games

i didnt watch any mckelvin games either. i watched two south florida games, during neither of which did i pay any attention to jenkins as i had no idea who he was.

i did watch arizona games with cason, vt games with flowers and kansas games with talib though.

i also didnt watch any usc games while focusing on keith rivers. id be curious as to how many people here did. im sure some did as some are west coast fans who like usc.

I have answered the question 200 times before, I have never seen him play, I didn't even watch the Sr. Bowl this year. Not once, never siltch. and many posters on this board know that already so I didn't feel the need to reply No once again. Besides I don;t feel the question was directed towards me, I am not the DRC hyper, I have just as many questions if not more about him as I do everyone else because I have no clue. but his stats say he is no more stand out than any of those other guys, but he was up against a whole lot lesser talent, I know that for a fact.

I watched at least 6 USC games, I watch alot of Kansas this year because I thought the were playing the best football of any team. Watched tons of Iowa because thats my squad, I saw Flowers, and Adibi play alot because I am in Boston and we get lotsa ACC games here because of BC. I watched alotta BC, I watch basicly everything on. Lotsa USC because they play late alot and not many games are on better than USC that night. I flip through all the games as well, I will watch on any given saturday about 20 games. 2 or 3 in entirety and will flip around during half times and commericals for alot of others. i have seen most of those guys you mentioned at least 2 times last year alone, and I have seen Aqib Talib in the most games out of them all. Aside from Mckelvin, who i have also never seen play and also hold no opinion on him either.

I have seen McKelvin in a few games.

<----------------------------- :p

Personally, I hope we can land a top 4 DL. But if we grab DRC at 10, I won't be truly disappointed. He may not win us as many games as an Ellis or Gholston, but he will be great fun to watch for the next 10 years.

That's essentially how I feel about him. I don't personally think he is worth a #10 pick and I want to trade down if we can't get either Ellis, Dorsey, Gholston or Clady .

But, if we take him at #10 I will not be disappointed. I think he has a lot of upside with his talent. But, he isn't there yet. He needs to put on another 10 to 15 pounds and that will could slow him down and reduce his leaping ability. He might well do that and still be just as fast and just as quick. So, it would be fun to see if he could develop. But, I'd rather the sure thing than taking a shot on a guy that might develop with the #10 pick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom