The DRC hype.... (2 Viewers)

Cason:
Of the 73 passes targeted to his area, the opposition caught 23 for 258 yards

thats pretty good, if we dont get DRC in the first, i'd like to get this guy in the 2nd.

Cason:

thats pretty good, if we dont get DRC in the first, i'd like to get this guy in the 2nd.

Yeah, only 31.7% of the passes thrown at Cason were completed. That's a better percentage than DRC and against much better competition. The only problem Cason has is that he does not have great speed. That's why he will probably drop to the 2nd. He would be a very nice pick there.

DRC has much better upside, but Cason is a polished CB with very good ball skills. He's not as fast as you'd like, but he made plays. I wonder if he would be better suited for a team that plays more zone?

Ok, how many of us have actually seen this guy play some games? I mean, yeah he had a good Senior Bowl but besides for that what have we seen from the guy? Me personally I did not hear about him until the Sr. Bowl. One game does not make a player. From what I understand the guy is rail thin which may make him succeptible to running plays. The Sr. Bowl doesn't neccesarily have the best guys lining up, just the Seniors. And they're coming from places we have never seen these guys play.

All these measurables, speed, vertical, cone drills, half of that stuff you don't even do directly during the game. TURN THE TAPE ON! And I'm not referring to a highlight tape so please do not post a youtube playback. This is the only way you need to evaluate a player. Watch him on plays where he didn't make the tackle, right?

I haven't seen most of these CBs and the Saints desperately need CB help. But from the ones I have seen I do believe that a good CB can be had with the 2nd round pick based on who is projected to be available though....

So I'm asking who of us has seen any significant amount of real games from DRC, and what does he look like over a number of games?

Does it really matter what we think? I mean nobody here will be in the war room on draft day. There are alot of small school guys that play well in the NFL... Aeneas Williams... Darrell Green... Rashean Mathis... I mean it happens...

i could'nt have said it any better. COMBINES DONT MEAN ANYTHING! PUT THE PADS ON AND HIT SOMEBODY. JASON DAVID PROBABLY WOULD DO GOOD AT A COMBINE. The kid that i KNOW FOR A FACT THAT WILL BE A IMPACT PLAYER IS AQUIB TALIB! ITS FUNNY HOW U GUYS IS OVER LOOKING HIM! He was the heart and soul of that Kansas Defense that everyone slept on!! ALL AMERICAN AND ALL BIG 12 AND ORANGE BOWL MVP

Quick, someone call the NFL and let them know the combine doesn't mean anything and atheletic measurables are irrelvent. All you have to do is put on pads and hit someone and your an NFL star.

Ok, how many of us have actually seen this guy play some games?

Us? Probably not many. But do you think all the NFL experts saying how great this kid is are just falling for the hype also? You think they don't watch tape? You think they don't know how to evaluate a CB? The DRC hype didn't start on saintsreport.com.

DRC rulez dont care what yall say but i think he should be our first round pick and i think he is good and yea he is a little thin but then what is the nfl for sean payton will take care of that he will get big just get him in the weight room and he will be a star on the field just like his cousin who this year led the nfl in interceptions

DRC rulez dont care what yall say but i think he should be our first round pick and i think he is good and yea he is a little thin but then what is the nfl for sean payton will take care of that he will get big just get him in the weight room and he will be a star on the field just like his cousin who this year led the nfl in interceptions

do you usually run out of breath before starting a new statement?

Us? Probably not many. But do you think all the NFL experts saying how great this kid is are just falling for the hype also? You think they don't watch tape? You think they don't know how to evaluate a CB? The DRC hype didn't start on saintsreport.com.

When you say "NFL experts" are you talking about the guys who talk about the NFL on TV and write about it in papers and on the internet? If so, yes, I do think that they fall for hype and just say things without watching tape. I serious doubt that Deion Sanders spends a lot of time breaking down film of DRC or any other player. The only guy that I know actually watches and breaks down tape is Ron Jaworski and maybe Merril Hoge. The rest of them are more or less mouth pieces that say things to get ratings. If that means talking up a guy to make a story then they will do it.

So, the real question is whether the hype about DRC started in the media that covers the NFL or if originated with scouts and coaches for NFL teams? I don't know the answer to that. I do know that the hype surrounding him on this board started with the Senior Bowl.

That being said, I think DRC is a good prospect. However, he is more about upside than anything else. He has great measurables and is a great athlete. But, he has to gain 10 to 15 pounds to play in the NFL on run downs and he has to prove that he can make a major jump up in competition. He did a good job of stepping up to a higher level of competition at the Senior Bowl, but most of the guys playing WR in that game won't be drafted until the later rounds and they were not running complex NFL schemes.

how about keith rivers? how about sedrick ellis?

How about cupcake schedule?

When you say "NFL experts" are you talking about the guys who talk about the NFL on TV and write about it in papers and on the internet?

No, I'm talking about the many draft experts whos sole job is to watch tape and breakdown possible draft picks.

I'd love to hear what Gil Brandt has to say about DRC. That is the one guy whose opinion I would value more than anyone. Lets face it, 90% of this board has not watched enough games of any of the potential draftees besides Glenn Dorsey, Ali Highsmith, Chevis Jackson, etc... to actually make a fair assessment of what kind of players, not athletes, but players these guys are. We are all basically looking for bandwagons to jump on and someone like DRC seems to be perfect for most.

For all of the posters who would say "draft Sed Ellis" if he were to somehow miraculously fall to #10, how many of you have actually studied this guy? And I mean watch at least 7 or 8 games breaking down his performance on each play.

FACE IT...NONE OF US ARE SCOUTS! WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT!

I've found our CB

There is a guy the Saints can have playing for them next year at CB who compares very favorably to DRC and is going to go in the 3rd round.

DRC - 6'2" / 38" vert / 10'11" broad jump / 4.3 sec 40 yrd dash / 2.51 sec 20 yrd split

Senior year - 37 tackles, 11 passes defended, 2 ints
Career - 39 games, 11 ints, 158 tackles

My guy - 6'0" / 43" vert / 10'11" broad jump / 4.4 sec 40 yrd dash / 2.51 sec 20 yrd split

Senior year - 60 tackles, 6 passes defended, 3 ints
Career - 37 games, 9 ints, 198 tackles

Pretty darned comparable, huh?

Notice the vertical makes my guy play taller than DRC. Also, he was a semifinalist for the Draddy Trophy in 2006, which recognizes a college player for his combined success in academics, football performance and community leadership.

The smart ones have already figured it out. My guy is Usama Young.

Usama Young would have gotten more attention if he were invited to the combine. I would love to see DRC and Usama Young as our starting cornerbacks in a few years.

I admit I have not seen many (most) of the ptoential draftees play. My opinions are largely shaped by the scouting reports I read on the internet at various draft sites, reading through various forums, draft publications I read and what I hear on ESPN, NFL Network, and combine results.

It may just be me, but I am comfortable in coming to a conclusion on MY OPINION based on those efforts.

Once I have determined MY OPINION, it is not open for debate, cannot be over-ruled and is subject to change based only on whatever may float my boat at any given moment.

Furthermore, I am of the belief that all of you guys have YOUR OPINION that is governed by those same criteria.

Now, for crying out loud, can we quit attacking one another for differences in opinion?

I know there's alot of Deion haters out there but all I needed to hear was he and Rod Woodson freak out mid-sentence when they saw DRC backpedal. These guys know corners better than any of you and they had to hold themselves back they were gushing so much over him. The muscle weight can be added. Stop hating on him. He's not the best thing ever but we'd be lucky to have him on this team and he'd be an instant upgrade over what we already have. Ellis and Dorsey ARE NOT dropping to us. Some of you guys act like a 10th pick is as big as a 5th or a sixth. There are busts in the top ten every year, and for the need we have a corner I don't think he's that much of a risk. Especially since we'll pay him #10 money. Trading a 3rd rounder to move up to 7 or 8 to take Dorsey if he's still there because of injury concerns would be a much greater risk. We'd overpay and give up a quality backup/potential starter in the third. And don't get me started on Gholston, he's good but he wouldn't fit our scheme and he's a tweener, that's why he won't go top five. Take DRC, or take McKelvin and watch you guys will be happy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom