The Drew Brees Dilemma (1 Viewer)

I think you have to throw the $20 mil thought out the window because it just is what it is and you can do nothing about it. The real question is how much can pay Brees and then add $20 mil cap on top of that. Does Brees agree to $25 mil salary and the team take a $45 mil cap hit this year OR do they kick $20 mil dead money to next year.

I disagree with the OP that the saints would in any danger of competing for a top pick in 2021 draft. If the defense stays the same the Payton will have the offense running with whoever is at QB and they will still be a playoff contender.

I’ve been saying for a year that Drew will sign a 2 year extension and play just 1 more. Kicking the can down the road another year. I maintain he can play longer but I think this is the last year

Drew Brees is my quarterback as long as he wants to play. You don’t shoo away an annual stalwart because Teddy Bridgewater played pretty well for a five-game sample size, and you especially don’t shoo him away for a gadget player (admittedly, a great one) with an even smaller sample size of passing success.

Teams wait decades (like us) if they ever get a quarterback in Brees’ league. If he wants to play, you make everything else work around him.

Sorry I seem to have upset you. I'm just curious as to what happens if we win 11 games get flatlined by the vikings again and now we have a 43 year old QB, no heir apparent because we let BW and TH walk.

There is definitely a dilemma at hand. Dont kid yourself.

Drew is going through his own dilemma on whether or not he should return.

What you mad at me for ?
Again, there is no dilemma. If Brees feels he will play another season then he's QB1. End of story.

If Brees stays, then so will one of the other two as well. If Brees hang 'em up, then both will be retained.

2 of the 3 QB's on last year's roster aren't leaving in the same offseason.

Its the offseason for sure. It now hurts a team to have to worry about a HoF QB coming back after posting his highest qb rating of his career.

Cmon man. Worry about the #2 receiver. Or the LBs outside of DDavis. Or Davenports toes.

If we don't win the SB, it's a wasted season because of the expectations. Farve played a couple seasons after his primary team and so did Montana I think. I don't think legends start stinking up the joint overnight.
The "he can stay as long as he wants" people advocate is something that is rarely practiced in sports, loyalty. It the team can find a better or cheaper better version of you're done.
If you had a Rogers, Mahomes, backup would we still let the decision be Drew's .

The it "doesn't matter if we lose one of the backups" people are not thinking long term because the 2 backups represent different styles of play, you need to commit to the next guy this year.

Its decision time for Loomis and Payton.

Keeping Drew might cost crucial young players that are essential to our future. We cannot mortgage the future based on what ifs and maybes.

Keeping Drew can hurt us in another way as well. Even if we did have a " good year " , anything short of winning it all is going to hurt badly and resulting poor draft positioning for next year.

So we could potentially find ourselves , out of key players who we couldnt afford to pay to keep Drew one more year , and with horrible draft positioning next year with Drew in my opinion definitely retiring at next seasons end.

I think theres a win for our franchise , that ensures we get our guy under center for the next decade or more to come without us having to lose key players.

It is better to let go a year early than a year too late.

Extend either Taysom Hill or Teddy Bridgewater, they will be our new Starter. Now either they prove to be Studs as starters and Taysom is Steve Young or Teddy B is legit or we suck. Yay !

Why is this good news ? Because , just as excited as everyone is about Joe Burrow this year , Everyone will be more excited about Trevor Lawrence next year. Trevor's shown more consistent play in multiple seasons.

Having a bad year at the right time could net us a franchise QB to go with our young vibrant budding team.

If we have the chops to believe we could get Burrow 20 something picks away this year , we could definitely grab Lawrence next year much closer.

And that's if things go badly !

Taysom or Teddy could prove to be Studs at the controls full time.

In any event we get our answers, and we get our QB guaranteed. If we get greedy today , we may lose out on everything tomorrow.

Goodbyes are never fun.
If you sign Drew, it's a one year deal and only affects the cap for one year.

If you sign someone else, they're not going to do it for one year. It's going to be for multiple years. So, you propose signing someone to an expensive contract for multiple years without knowing if they're able to produce at Drew's level, risking the future salary cap for an unknown that you will still have to pay when/if you cut him instead of signing a HOF QB and the unquestioned leader of this team for an economical price.

You either over thought this or didn't think this through at all...

My worry is waiting on Drew to decide to return when his market value is estimated at 37/ year. Maybe too much for even Loomis to negotiate.

You don’t wait decades for a Drew Brees, it happens once if you’re lucky. Whatever happens, I don’t want to see him in another uniform. He’s still better than anyone we have, plus he’s better than 90% of league qb’s.

Its decision time for Loomis and Payton.

Keeping Drew might cost crucial young players that are essential to our future. We cannot mortgage the future based on what ifs and maybes.

Keeping Drew can hurt us in another way as well. Even if we did have a " good year " , anything short of winning it all is going to hurt badly and resulting poor draft positioning for next year.

So we could potentially find ourselves , out of key players who we couldnt afford to pay to keep Drew one more year , and with horrible draft positioning next year with Drew in my opinion definitely retiring at next seasons end.

I think theres a win for our franchise , that ensures we get our guy under center for the next decade or more to come without us having to lose key players.

It is better to let go a year early than a year too late.

Extend either Taysom Hill or Teddy Bridgewater, they will be our new Starter. Now either they prove to be Studs as starters and Taysom is Steve Young or Teddy B is legit or we suck. Yay !

Why is this good news ? Because , just as excited as everyone is about Joe Burrow this year , Everyone will be more excited about Trevor Lawrence next year. Trevor's shown more consistent play in multiple seasons.

Having a bad year at the right time could net us a franchise QB to go with our young vibrant budding team.

If we have the chops to believe we could get Burrow 20 something picks away this year , we could definitely grab Lawrence next year much closer.

And that's if things go badly !

Taysom or Teddy could prove to be Studs at the controls full time.

In any event we get our answers, and we get our QB guaranteed. If we get greedy today , we may lose out on everything tomorrow.

Goodbyes are never fun.
Everyone has their own opinion.

Drew deserves to play if he chooses too.
Sorry, it's the New Orleans Saints, not the New Orleans Brees. Payton needs to objectively evaluate who is his best QB option going forward, and if it's not Drew, then Drew should not be the starter or maybe not even on the team at that point. The common good is more important than the individual good.

Regardless if he signs or not, $20 million of his current salary will count against the salary cap for 2020.
If Brees signs and plays this year that 20 million dead moey will not count against the cap this year , it will be pro-rated to next year. Eventually it has to get paid but I agree that the Saints are at a point now where big decisions are coming. Alot of young good talent coming off of rookie contracts that want and expect to get paid in the next two years. I think a lot of people are down on Drew Brees because of the results in the playoffs the last 3 years and I get the frustration. For me I think Sean Payton has devoloped a strong tend to excel in regular season games and get beat in the playoffs and especially after the Minnesota game and my frustration lies more with him than Brees.

Last edited:
If Brees signs and plays this year that 20 million dead moey will not count against the cap this year , it will be pro-rated to next year. Eventually it has to get paid but I agree that the Saints are at a point now where big decisions are coming. Alot of young good talent coming off of rookie contracts that want and expect to get paid in the next two years. I think a lot of people are down on Drew Brees because of the results in the playoffs the last 3 years and I get the frustration. For me I think Sean Payton has devoloped a strong tend to excel in regular season games and get beat in the playoffs and especially after the Minnesota game and my frustration lies more with him than Brees.

If he signs for this year then Just over 15 million will count against this years cap. The remainder will go towards 2021. The 15 million was a prior signing bonus and cannot be re-spread out. On top of the 15 will be whatever he signs for this in salary and likely another signing bonus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom