The Dumbing Down of American Political Rhetoric (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There is a book by Elvin Lim entitled "The Anti-Intellectual Presidency", which discusses how the rhetoric of American presidents has been progressivly "dumbed down" over the past 90 years. He even tried to objectively measure the intellectual addresses of American presidents since Washington. For his objective study, his criteria, which need to be stated, were the average number of words in sentences and the average number of syllables in the words used. His finding, which should surprise no one: Presidential addresses in the 18th and 19th centuries were written on a college education reading level, and Presidential addresses in modern times have been written on an eighth grade reading level.

The criteria are not perfect. Brevity in writing and speech should be applauded. But those criteria do grossly measure the reading level at which those addresses have been pitched. (Incidentally, the average number of words in the sentences in this paragraph is only 10.)

A finding I find interesting: In the presidential papers of presidents through Wilson, the term "common sense" appears 11 times; in the papers of presidents after Wilson, the term appears 1,600 times.

Last edited:
How can you expect the people to understand all of those big words?

I'm not trying to be a smart ***, but do you really mean "dumbing down?" What does "dumping down" mean?

Why should politicians waste time on words people can't understand? All they have to do now days is look good and "Wink at the People" (an all time low IMO). Bush, McCain, Palin...I'd say the Republicans have taken the entire country down to a new level of low intellectual requirements and expectations at the highest levels.

Of course, on the Dem side I see a disgraceful decline on the local levels (regarding intellectuality) -- Nagin, Jefferson, the dunce mayor in Detroit, etc.,

There is a book by Elvin Lim entitled "The Anti-Intellectual Presidency", which discusses how the rhetoric of American presidents has been progressivly "dumped down" over the past 90 years. He even tried to objectively measure the intellectual addresses of American presidents since Washington. For his objective study, his criteria, which need to be stated, were the average number of words in sentences and the average number of syllables in the words used. His finding, which should surprise no one: Presidential addresses in the 18th and 19th centuries were written on a college education reading level, and Presidential addresses in modern times have been written on an eighth grade reading level.

The criteria are not perfect. Brevity in writing and speech should be applauded. But those criteria do grossly measure the reading level at which those addresses have been pitched. (Incidentally, the average number of words in the sentences in this paragraph is only 10.)

A finding I find interesting: In the presidential papers of presidents through Wilson, the term "common sense" appears 11 times; in the papers of presidents after Wilson, the term appears 1,600 times.

Doesn't this have to do with the fact that before William Jennings Bryan, presidential candidates didn't actively campaign? Another factor is that Presidents can actually communicate directly with the American people, whereas before radio and especially television, they couldn't. It's really not suprising.

One would expect, however, a "meeting of the minds" where the citizenry made themselves more informed since the President actually talks to them. Unfortunately, the level of rhetoric continues to sink. Bush, and now Palin, probably represent a low watermark. (Obviously, Palin is not running for President but she is involved in Presidential politics.)

You are not being a smart___. You are obviously correct. Brain lock and typing too fast. Change made.

Last edited:
Speaking of rhetoric, I heard McCain was going to go heavily on the attack. I also heard Sarah Palin say that "John McCain knows how to win a war."

Which one? :shrug:

:covri:

rheToricPS

One of the excuses people used to vote for Bush Jr. in his first win was that he's "just like me". That goes to prove that the average Joe is an idiot.

HEY, LOOK OVER HERE!!
I'VE GOT SHINY OBJECTS!!

800px-Keys.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U33a766psr4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U33a766psr4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom