The Ed Ogeron/Sedrick Ellis Conspiracy Theory (1 Viewer)

Conrad

Reaction score
This is the conspiracy theory that I am putting together about how the Saints are going to draft USC DT Sedrick Ellis. It all starts with the hiring of Ed Ogeron as the Saints new defensive line coach.

Why did he come here?
Ogeron was apparently offered the defensive coordinators position with the Arkansas Razorbacks but turned it down to come to the New Orleans Saints.

"After being courted by the Dallas Cowboys and the Jacksonville Jaguars, Orgeron accepted the defensive line coaching position with the New Orleans Saints on Wednesday."

After being courted by teams with better records and far better defensive line talent Ogeron decided to come to New Orleans.

Perhaps the Saints were in a better position to promise an increase in DL talent and were the only team in position to move up and draft DT Sedrick Ellis a former player of Ogerons.

The players that he likes on his defensive line.

"I like to rotate my defensive linemen, three defensive tackles <st1:time minute="57" hour="15">and three to four</st1:time> defensive ends and play aggressive football. You have to be aggressive up front."

"I want my players to go out and play hard on each snap. I like defensive linemen a little lighter weight wise because I like speed and quickness from my defensive front. You don’t have to be 320 pounds to dominate."
The Saints have a huge DL with almost all the starters being 300lbs plus and hustle is severly lacking. Seems like a strange match at first. But, Ellis is 6'1" 308lbs. and has non stop hustle and explosion and seems to be perfect in the Ogeron mould.

Ogeron mentions Ellis specifically and Ellis mentions Ogeron specifically.

"While Orgeron is waiting to evaluate the current talent on the Saints’ defensive front, he wasted little time talking about a couple of players he recruited to USC, defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis and outside linebacker Keith Rivers, who both could be in the Saints draft mix during the 2008 NFL draft."

“Sedrick Ellis was a highly recruited young man coming out of <st1:place><st1:placeName>Chino</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>High School</st1:placeType></st1:place> in <st1:State><st1:place>California</st1:place></st1:State>. He was a back-up on our national championship season in 2004 to Mike Patterson, who the Philadelphia Eagles picked in the first round. He really came on strong late in his redshirt freshman season. He has the perfect build to play the nose tackle spot. He is very strong, extremely agile and quick for his size and he knows how to disengage from blockers. The guy just refuses to stay blocked and he works his tail off to get that good inside penetration. What jumps out about him too is his hustle out on the field. He will not give up on a play even if it’s 25 yards downfield. In watching the Senior Bowl practices I thought he was the best player in <st1:City><st1:place>Mobile</st1:place></st1:City>."
Our class that came here in 2003 has really had a great wave of parents," Sedrick Ellis said, although his mother remembers one time he wished she weren't there.

"He was in his second year, a redshirt freshman, and had been late for a class. The penalty was administered after practice by then-defensive line coach Ed Orgeron, his Cajun drawl booming over the practice field, as Ellis rolled the length of the field and back.

"That ground was cold," Jeanie Ellis said. And despite her love for "Coach O., who really loved Sedrick," she realized her eyes were tearing up.

"Mom, I don't think you should come back to practice," Sedrick said to her as he came by, the last one off the field."

Sedrick Ellis while being interviewed on the NFL Network credited Coach Ogeron as one of the key people in his development.

It seems like these guys have a close personal relationship that goes back throughout college and the Senior Bowl. It is interesting when a coach and player seem to get a long so well. Maybe Ellis is Ogeron's ideal DT.

Evidence

1. He must have been promisded someting to come here over more lucrative oppurtunities.

2. Ellis fits everything that Ogeron is looking for in a defensive lineman.

3. They have a pre-existing close relationship.

I actually thought of this, too. Now how do we get him to drop to the 10th spot in the draft?

you really put together a good argurment....I especially like the part about Coach O not liking beefy Defensive Lineman, maybe that weight these guys are supposed to come to camp in or leave camp with will be a bit lower (Grant 280, Smith 270-275...just reaching) but it does appear that maybe they are targeting either Ellis or Rivers with the hiring of Coach O...either one (Rivers or Ellis) I would be more than happy with, actually my top two guys I want drafted with that 10th selection.

Isn't Orgeron a lifelong Saints fan? I'm not discrediting your argument but I just think his family / background may have been a strong reason for his choosing the Saints over alternative offers.

I think the whole "coming home" angle is being ignored here...

while I'd love Ellis, and am coming around to trading with baltimore if he's there at 8 (we'd have to give up what? a 3rd?) I think we have too many holes to trade up higher than that

JMHO

Geaux Saints, and all that

I think the whole "coming home" angle is being ignored here...

while I'd love Ellis, and am coming around to trading with baltimore if he's there at 8 (we'd have to give up what? a 3rd?) I think we have too many holes to trade up higher than that

JMHO

Geaux Saints, and all that

The holes that we have will not be filled by the draft picks that we have is a 3rd or 4th round CB going to come in and become a number 2 guy. Or will a 3rd or 4th round pick come in and solidify at FS.

Ellis will not drop to 10, especially after his week at the senior bowl. Watching the game one scout now has Ellis rated above Dorsey.

I think it's more of a local boy thing.

How would Ellis drop that far or who/what would we offer to move up to get him and to whom do we trade?

this would be great if it were college recruiting, but unfortunately, it's not.

this is almost as much a reach as all of the 9/11 conspiracy theories (i.e., it was an inside job!). Repeat after me - "Orgeron accepted the saints job because he wanted to come home".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom