The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (23 Viewers)

huh.
i can envision two scenarios for domestic recharging - one, would be some neighborhood co-op, where a charging station is built in a nearby park and members have a scheduled charging time (and non-members pay a premium if the charger is available)
OR
a share economy where someone buys a home system, but rents it out when not in use
Level 2 charging is pretty easy and cost-efficient. That’s why you can find chargers at grocery stores and public parking garages all over the place. I think it is so cost efficient that it will take care of itself - perhaps with neighborhood bays like you suggest. For the vast majority of daily use, this will be more than sufficient. One full night of charging is probably enough for nearly a week’s worth of driving for most people. And if you own your house, it’s even easier.

It’s the fast charging network that will be the key to making EV ownership truly equivalent to gasoline cars (or close enough) because you’ll be able to make long distance trips. That’s where the travel center and whatnot come in.

If they don’t, it gets more complicated. Tesla has tried to avoid this by building out their own fast charge network. None of the other automakers have ventured into that, as far as I know.
That's an interesting point. Look at phone chargers. Every one is differed. Apple even has like 5 different versions dating back to their own phone models.

Gas pumps are standardized (probably by regulation) but are EV chargers standard? Would a Ford charging station necessarily work for a Tesla? Is there legislation in the works to standardize this or is it going to be Wild West like phone chargers are?

That's an interesting point. Look at phone chargers. Every one is differed. Apple even has like 5 different versions dating back to their own phone models.

Gas pumps are standardized (probably by regulation) but are EV chargers standard? Would a Ford charging station necessarily work for a Tesla? Is there legislation in the works to standardize this or is it going to be Wild West like phone chargers are?

Tesla has a unique charger connection but with an adapter Tesla can use standard connectors. The rest are standard. It didn’t need legislation - it’s not really in the automakers’ interest to have proprietary chargers connections if they’re not involved in the charging business.

Why can't they put a gas small generator on these EVs. I have a honda 2000 watt generator that sips gas at about 1/8 of a gallon an hour, it's the size of a small suit case, and as quiet as a car engine. This should be enough power to charge it will driving to keep the battery from draining. At the very least it would extend your range tremendously.

Why can't they put a gas small generator on these EVs. I have a honda 2000 watt generator that sips gas at about 1/8 of a gallon an hour, it's the size of a small suit case, and as quiet as a car engine. This should be enough power to charge it will driving to keep the battery from draining. At the very least it would extend your range tremendously.

Going against the grain there.

Why can't they put a gas small generator on these EVs. I have a honda 2000 watt generator that sips gas at about 1/8 of a gallon an hour, it's the size of a small suit case, and as quiet as a car engine.

FYI my dad was looking at those a couple weeks ago..they cost around $2000.00.. i shot him a link for one at Costco that is a Generac, and more powerful and quieter than the Honda- at half the price.

10C81BCA-A786-4D2F-82D7-FE7B620361C4.jpeg

BMW did it and subsequently removed it from their i3. 2000 watts isn't going to do much to charge an EV. I believe I read you would need more like at least 10k watts to really be effective and even then you are looking at an equivalent of a level 2 charger.

BMW did it and subsequently removed it from their i3. 2000 watts isn't going to do much to charge an EV. I believe I read you would need more like at least 10k watts to really be effective and even then you are looking at an equivalent of a level 2 charger.

Okay but here me out . . . what about five generators, mounted in series on the EV?

MKBHD did a review. For those that don't know, this guy is pretty much the best tech reviewer on YouTube. He also reviews cars on occasion.

But 8 minutes into the video he gave some interesting information. The 300 mile range that Ford is quoting is with 1000lbs of cargo in the bed. The Sync4 display was quoting them 367miles of range at 80% charge with no cargo onboard. He extrapolates that out to 459 miles of range.. I think it's cool that Ford is getting a rating for a truck that is actually being used as a truck.

My turn to bring something back from the dead!!! Well i am personally back in the EV world...I had a Chevy Volt for a bit until it sacrificed it self to protect my children from an elderly driver a few years back....well last night i took delivery of a 2021 Chevy Bolt premier....interesting how times have changed since we all had this discussion ongoing before...

BTW...SUPERCHUCK...i a zillion years ago you you sent me a pm for a ev conversation and i just didnt see it...so am sorry i didnt reply...i would have if i had seen it...you probably dont recall but i never forgot since i felt bad for missing it.

My turn to bring something back from the dead!!! Well i am personally back in the EV world...I had a Chevy Volt for a bit until it sacrificed it self to protect my children from an elderly driver a few years back....well last night i took delivery of a 2021 Chevy Bolt premier....interesting how times have changed since we all had this discussion ongoing before...

BTW...SUPERCHUCK...i a zillion years ago you you sent me a pm for a ev conversation and i just didnt see it...so am sorry i didnt reply...i would have if i had seen it...you probably dont recall but i never forgot since i felt bad for missing it.
Is that the newly redesigned one? If so, how are the seats? Seats in the first gen were a deal breaker.

I've now got reservations on a Cybertruck and the F150 Lightning. The F150's 300mile range was calculated with 1000lbs of cargo, so I have a feeling Ford is once again sandbagging their battery capacity. They did this on the Mach E as well. I put in a reservation on the day Ford did the introduction so I may be near the front of the line. My local dealer at least told me I'm the first one for them. I've got my fingers crossed that the proposed $12500 EV tax credit happens next year. With Colorado's tax credit that would give me $15K off the sticker.

I was going to buy a 3rd Gen Raptor but Ford raised the price by nearly $10K and didn't make any HP improvements on it. The Raptor R comes out next year but is going to be at least $90K before dealer markups. It will also be sold in VERY limited numbers, so I'm unlikely to ever get one. If I buy another gas powered, full sized pickup, it will be a Ram 1500 TRX. At the end of the day, i don't think I care if it's gas or electric. I want power.

The Cybertruck is a wild card for me. For one, my reservation is much further back in the line. I don't think a CT will be available for me next year. Also, of course, there is the very polarizing styling. IMO, if I get one, it will be a triple motor version and I'll get it wrapped in olive drab to make it look like the tank/halo warthog that it is. One thing that is really in the CT's favor is the air suspension. That should lend itself well to offroading. The F150 will probably come with an FX4 package and even have software driven lockers but getting that independent suspension lifted is going to cost a pretty penny. Also, there is the promise that the CT will have at least 500miles of range. That's a bid deal IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom