The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (4 Viewers)

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I see.

So the answer is that if an already strained and antiquated electrical grid suddenly saw a huge jump in demand it would magically fix itself.

So glad that you cleared that up and provided facts to back up that opinion
No, it wouldn't magically fix itself. But, if we had a majority of the population who were jumping on the EV bandwagon, then we would also have a majority of the population who were pushing for renewable energy sources (it seems that those two things are currently pushed by the same people). If we had seen a majority of the population pushing for renewable energy, we would see more and more of it coming along.
I would think we're running a bit too close to full production in terms of energy output for our electric grid enough times per year that a significant increase in EV usage would make an already worsening problem much worse. I'm not sure solar and wind are going to be enough to offset the growth in EV usage if it's substantial in the short term.

I'd argue that a gradual approach allowing us to accommodate the additional EV in a feasible manner is the way to go.

Unless we address the current crumbling enegy infrastructure, talking about making EVs truly mainstream is moot.

And this is coming from someone who is generally supportive of EV development.

I think you misinterpreted what I said. I wasn't saying that if tomorrow everyone decided to adopt EVs that we'd be ok. What I was getting at was that if EVs had been adopted by the majority of the population, then we likely would have seen the type of push towards increasing the power grid to go with that.

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
No, it wouldn't magically fix itself. But, if we had a majority of the population who were jumping on the EV bandwagon, then we would also have a majority of the population who were pushing for renewable energy sources (it seems that those two things are currently pushed by the same people). If we had seen a majority of the population pushing for renewable energy, we would see more and more of it coming along.

I think you misinterpreted what I said. I wasn't saying that if tomorrow everyone decided to adopt EVs that we'd be ok. What I was getting at was that if EVs had been adopted by the majority of the population, then we likely would have seen the type of push towards increasing the power grid to go with that.
I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe that green energy could meet our existing energy needs, much less meet our needs with the majority of Americans driving EVs

I have looked and I can't find where the US government does much funding of fusion research which I find disappointing. That's the clean source that could actually meet our needs.

With recent advances, the projection for having a viable, working fusion generator is anywhere between the year 2025 and 2035

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I get that, but the increase in the power grid, or at the very least, increase in efficiency of EVs to the point that it taxes the current infrastructure less has to occur well before we see anywhere near close to a majority of the population adopt EVs.

What we don't want to do is rush widespread use until that's addressed.

And fwiw, I don't think it's necessarily being rushed all that much. Most EVs are still overpriced and out of the range of the average consumer, so I'm not worried that it's a problem yet. We just need to take our time and let the infrastructure catch up to emerging technologies.

Reaction score
I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe that green energy could meet our existing energy needs, much less meet our needs with the majority of Americans driving EVs
Me either, but it could be our new infrastructure. I imagine building that out will be a very lucrative industry. Oil still has a place for a while. It's no longer going to be the gold standard though.

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
For those that are interested, this is a summary of where we are with fusion research.

While there are several methods that are being looked at as being superior to the traditional system that uses a tokamak, the new ITER fusion system that is supposed to go online in 2025 will be a massive step forward as it will be the first fusion generator that provides more energy than it takes to power it....in this case 10x more

Exciting stuff

Reaction score
For those that are interested, this is a summary of where we are with fusion research.

While there are several methods that are being looked at as being superior to the traditional system that uses a tokamak, the new ITER fusion system that is supposed to go online in 2025 will be a massive step forward as it will be the first fusion generator that provides more energy than it takes to power it....in this case 10x more

Exciting stuff
Next step...

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
Hopefully other manufacturers have better quality control and design because there is no excuse for this

And before the fan boys jump on my case, there are numerous sources including Elon Musk that have addressed design, engineering, and quality control issues. There is no excuse for this. $16,000 for a simple repair

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully other manufacturers have better quality control and design because there is no excuse for this

And before the fan boys jump on my case, there are numerous sources including Elon Musk that have addressed design, engineering, and quality control issues. There is no excuse for this. $16,000 for a simple repair

Reminds me of this:

My buddy is an automotive engineer in Japan now, after being with Ford for a long time. He relayed to me what his friend at Audi said about Tesla: (me paraphrasing) "The engineering design control and tolerances are much higher than any quality European automaker would allow. Eventually that will catch up to Tesla when the Europeans get fully into the EV market."

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
Reminds me of this:

My buddy is an automotive engineer in Japan now, after being with Ford for a long time. He relayed to me what his friend at Audi said about Tesla: (me paraphrasing) "The engineering design control and tolerances are much higher than any quality European automaker would allow. Eventually that will catch up to Tesla when the Europeans get fully into the EV market."
The choice of light plastic to protect critical components from road debris is just horrible...isn't like they didn't know what they were doing

On the other hand this is VERY impressive and needs to be more widespread. If I ever can build on my land, it will have a solar roof

Reaction score

Reminds me of this:

I think this goes to the right to repair issue being fought right now. If I understand it in simple terms there's been a design in many manufacturing companies to force customers into reliance upon the OEM for parts and\or repair. This goes beyond cars and EV though. If the line isn't drawn here, it'll be with everything produced eventually. I know John Deere already has similar policies in that they are sole supplier and farmers are having to get used parts hacked to repair their tractors.

They say you are being sold something, but in reality it's essentially a permanent lease orchestrated by mechanisms.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think this goes to the right to repair issue being fought right now. If I understand it in simple terms there's been a design in many manufacturing companies to force customers into reliance upon the OEM for parts and\or repair. This goes beyond cars and EV though. If the line isn't drawn here, it'll be with everything produced eventually. I know John Deere already has similar policies in that they are sole supplier and farmers are having to get used parts hacked to repair their tractors.

They say you are being sold something, but in reality it's essentially a permanent lease orchestrated by mechanisms.

Yeah, it get particularly problematic as we rely more and more on software to do these repairs- because software use is easy to control through the license process.

Update on the John Deere right-to-repair issue:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, it get particularly problematic as we rely more and more on software to do these repairs- because software is use is easy to control through the license process.

Update on the John Deere right-to-repair issue:

You also get into a sticky widget with cars that can be software updated.

The company now claims that the owner of the car, who purchased it from a third-party dealer — a dealer who bought it at an auction held by Tesla itself — “did not pay” for the features and therefore is not eligible to use them.

The features were enabled when the dealer bought the car, and they were advertised as part of the package when the car was sold to its owner. It’s a peculiar situation that raises hard questions about the nature of over-the-air software updates as they relate to vehicles.

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
Can you sell electricity to Entergy in Louisiana if you produce extra juice from solar?

Sailorsaint

Reaction score
Whatever happened to our research into Hydrogen powered vehicles? I did some research and found that it is still going on, but why isn't that making the news? Wouldn't it be better than battery powered? I mean, I know they still use batteries to store energy, like the energy lost when braking, but they refuel faster, emit water vapor, etc. What's the deal?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom