The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (9 Viewers)

So, maybe this has already been covered but are there any decently priced options for any EV or Hybrids these days?

I'm not in the market yet, but I might soon be in the market. I'm probably looking for something that can handle some light off road driving since I live in New Orleans and my commute involves driving over roads that are often only slightly worse than the average dirt road. I like the idea of an EV or Hybrid, but the prices seem high and I'm not sure how you use a pure EV for a daily commute without having to install a charging station at your house. Or what kind of cost that has.

Anyway, I guess I'm curious on the consensus regarding whether the tech is at a point where it works well enough and is cost effective enough for the average person. My main issue in the past, other than cost and charging options, for EV and Hybrids is that they always seem to feel the need to make them look like ugly old people cars instead of just making a nice car that happens to have an electric motor or be a hybrid. Like why make the Prius so ugly when you could have just made it look like a Camry?

What price range?

There's really more and more options every six months or so.

So, maybe this has already been covered but are there any decently priced options for any EV or Hybrids these days?

I'm not in the market yet, but I might soon be in the market. I'm probably looking for something that can handle some light off road driving since I live in New Orleans and my commute involves driving over roads that are often only slightly worse than the average dirt road. I like the idea of an EV or Hybrid, but the prices seem high and I'm not sure how you use a pure EV for a daily commute without having to install a charging station at your house. Or what kind of cost that has.

Anyway, I guess I'm curious on the consensus regarding whether the tech is at a point where it works well enough and is cost effective enough for the average person. My main issue in the past, other than cost and charging options, for EV and Hybrids is that they always seem to feel the need to make them look like ugly old people cars instead of just making a nice car that happens to have an electric motor or be a hybrid. Like why make the Prius so ugly when you could have just made it look like a Camry?

How big of a car do you need (passengers and cargo space)? If you want something small you could get the electric Mini-Cooper for like $30K and if you are eligible for the tax credit that's an effective price of $22,500, which seems pretty reasonable.

You would probably want to install a level 2 charger though in your home.

You could look at plug-in hybrids - those have like 20 miles of electric range which is enough for most commutes - before switching to gas, and you could charge it up overnight with a normal outlet.

Yeah, I forgot to ask what you mean by decently priced. There are lots of crossover electric cars out, or coming out with prices in the low-$40's for basic trim to $60K for the all decked out trims. That's before any tax credit that may apply.

Yeah, I forgot to ask what you mean by decently priced. There are lots of crossover electric cars out, or coming out with prices in the low-$40's for basic trim to $60K for the all decked out trims. That's before any tax credit that may apply.

In December, the average new car price in the US was $47K.

I think Widge needs a Volvo. They're boxy, but they're good.

What price range?

There's really more and more options every six months or so.

Not sure exactly. But, I'd find it objectionable to spend more than somewhere in the range of $40K to $50K for a vehicle. But, I could change my mind if something is really worth more than that.

In December, the average new car price in the US was $47K.

I think Widge needs a Volvo. They're boxy, but they're good.

Yeah, I've been out of the market for awhile and prices have really gone up. I bought a fully loaded 4Runner Limited like 8 years ago for $40K. I think those are in the $47K range now so my numbers may not be realistic. I'm not really a Volvo kind of guy.

Not sure exactly. But, I'd find it objectionable to spend more than somewhere in the range of $40K to $50K for a vehicle. But, I could change my mind if something is really worth more than that.

Not sure how you value worth but if you are able to install a charger at your residence, the savings on gas and time do figure into the calculus. And there's virtually zero service required.

Do you qualify for the tax credit? If so, you're looking at car prices around $52K that will keep your after tax credit cost at mid-40's. There are lots of options in that range.

At that point, do you want a sedan or a crossover?

Do you qualify for the tax credit? If so, you're looking at car prices around $52K that will keep your after tax credit cost at mid-40's. There are lots of options in that range.

I have no idea. I know nothing about taxes. I let my wife handle that and she can only do it because she has a sister who was an IRS auditer that helps her. But, I will look into it. Thanks.

Not sure how you value worth but if you are able to install a charger at your residence, the savings on gas and time do figure into the calculus. And there's virtually zero service required.

I guess it's an option but I have no idea what that kind of thing costs or if my electrical system can handle that.

I want a SUV over a Sedan. Sedan's aren't really practical on New Orleans streets anymore. But, I would honestly rather something on a truck frame for the same reasons. I've done some light looking and none of the normal gas cars excite me at this point or really fit what I need. I guess I like the idea of a 4Runner or a 4 door Jeep the most at this point, but a 4Runner is kind of bigger than I want and Jeeps seem like they are over priced. But, I'm old and grumpy and haven't looked at car prices in years.

That's why the EV/Hybrid appeals to me. There would be a reason to spend extra for something like that. If the tech is now good enough for them to make sense.

I guess it's an option but I have no idea what that kind of thing costs or if my electrical system can handle that.

If your system can handle a dryer, it can handle a charger. Last I looked, models run from about $400 to $800 depending on what features you want (IMO you don't need any features). Installation is about $400 with a qualified electrian.

If your system can handle a dryer, it can handle a charger. Last I looked, models run from about $400 to $800 depending on what features you want (IMO you don't need any features). Installation is about $400 with a qualified electrian.

Cool. That's cheap. I was thinking it would be like $5K to $10K so that's one obstacle down.

The Grand Cherokee comes in a hybrid model as does the four door Wrangler. I gave up on Hybrid/EV this go around due to availability mainly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom