The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (4 Viewers)

Yeah in fairness I rarely make the trip. I just want to have the flexibility. And we have a gas vehicle but I don’t want to be driving a minivan to meet clients. I could do with a shorter range, but I don’t wanna.

To put this into perspective, let’s give an example. Let’s say you drive about 1,183 miles per month (Americans drive an average of about 14,200 miles annually). For an EV, you will use about 394 kWh in that timeframe. Using the U.S. household average from January 2022 of nearly 14 cents per kWh, it would cost about $55 per month to charge an electric car.
Let’s say you’re driving an economy car that brings a combined average of 30 miles per gallon during a mix of city and highway driving. Using that same 12-gallon tank as a reference point, you’ll have 360 miles of driving range for each fill-up. If you’re driving the same 1,183 miles per month, you’ll need to refuel just over three times each month and spend about $167 ($51 x 3.28).

Run the numbers. With the money you save on gas you may be able rent something for infrequent trips and still come out with money in your pocket. There are advantages to having a rental too"

• You can choose pretty much anything you want to drive to impress whoever if needed. If it's business, might be a write off.
  • If something goes wrong, you can just call the company for a replacement.
  • A mechanical issue could put you in a bind far away from a warranty repair place and guessing about the quality of the garage you have to use.
  • Your timeline can be majorly disrupted or even cause un-recoupable loss from event tickets etc.
If your vehicle is in good shape, you still have to factor in what could happen should you breakdown or have a significant accident. You'll probably be going to a rental at that point anyway. Now you have to figure out how to get a repair done fast and warrantied back home in case something happens.

Those are good points. I guess I just think that with as fast as the tech is changing, every year I wait will gain exponentially in cost and efficiency benefits.

Last edited:

The trip took place across several European cities, starting in Germany, then on to Switzerland and Italy, and finally to its destination, the port town of Cassis near Marseille in the South of France. Temperatures ranged from 3 to 18 degrees Celsius (37 to 64 degrees Fahrenheit), and the vehicle traveled at an average speed of 54 mph.

The distance covered was “over” 1,000 km, or about 621 miles. That is more than twice the typical range that most EVs on the road today can travel. According to Mercedes, the Vision EQXX’s state of charge on arrival was around 15 percent, leaving the vehicle with a remaining range of around 140 km (87 miles). The average consumption was a record-breaking low of 8.7 kWh per 100 km (7.1 kWh per 62 miles).

Cool. That’s another element of this - we’ve been squeezing mileage out of a gallon of gas for a half-century and we’ve made great progress but it’s not likely that we’re going to double mileage. The law of diminishing returns is fairly advanced at this point.

But battery and other cell technology is much newer. Some breakthrough that doubles or triples range is easily imaginable (or already here).

Cool. That’s another element of this - we’ve been squeezing mileage out of a gallon of gas for a half-century and we’ve made great progress but it’s not likely that we’re going to double mileage. The law of diminishing returns is fairly advanced at this point.

But battery and other cell technology is much newer. Some breakthrough that doubles or triples range is easily imaginable (or already here).
I think of this like Moore's law where the technology is going to change so rapidly, I'll feel like a goof no matter what EV I buy because in 3 years it will be shirt.

I had to do the config just to see. 400 mile range, 150kw 3 motor system, full solar panels, and 3.5 sec 0-60 is 33.2k. Looks like if you aren't near enough to a tech, they won't have service centers and will send a tech to you to repair, they will send you parts and guide you thru. They allow right to repair as well in order to please customers and gain mkt share.

If they actually start shipping these, depending on how they pan out, I'm interested. My daily commute would be mostly free. I'd really only have to worry about long distance trips which is why I didn't stick with the 250 mile range. But if those numbers hold up and it's a true 250, I might be swayed to save the money. There's no battery upgrade post purchase at this time and current build requires a full replacement not in place upgrade.

That Kia EV6 looks like it has good range. I like Kia and don't hate the look of the car. Might make an impulse buy if I can find one.

I finally, FINALLY, got to sit in a Rivian R1T. I took my son to swim practice and he wanted to go to the park afterwards. Lucky me, there was some sort of EV event going on at the park. My boy really did me a solid 😁.

I sat in the front seat and found that my 6’2” frame has zero issues getting comfortable. The owner invited Carpenter to crawl into the child storage tunn,,, I mean Gear Tunnel. As you can see, it’s large enough that an adult can get through there. The Frunk is a little larger than I thought it would be. Still not as large as the frunk on the F150 Lightning but still big enough for at least two golf bags.

I looked at the fit an finish of the truck and couldn’t really find much wrong with things like panel alignment on this particular one. It really looked great.

Very impressive truck. The only real downside here is that I have no idea when mine will finally become available.

7E3DE9A2-2285-4E8E-9C2B-925584E9A65B.jpeg

2AF7C253-CE67-46C3-9401-839637892E12.jpeg2A511994-0CE3-4D87-B860-3DEDEB45501A.jpeg

China's Nio ET7 getting a lot of hype - some saying it's the best production car ever made in China. I'm not really sure if that's saying much but what's interesting is that the car uses "semi solid-state" battery technology and boasts 620 miles of range. The price of the ET7 is approximately $71K without subsidies but if that range is indeed accurate and reliable we might expect the technology to be copied and a new phase of EV range may be on the horizon. Range north of 600 miles would likely eliminate range as a concern for almost every driver.

China's Nio ET7 getting a lot of hype - some saying it's the best production car ever made in China. I'm not really sure if that's saying much but what's interesting is that the car uses "semi solid-state" battery technology and boasts 620 miles of range. The price of the ET7 is approximately $71K without subsidies but if that range is indeed accurate and reliable we might expect the technology to be copied and a new phase of EV range may be on the horizon. Range north of 600 miles would likely eliminate range as a concern for almost every driver.

According to that video the range is the NEDC number. It’s really more like 433 miles. Look up how NEDC numbers compare to EPA numbers

Last night, Rivian sent an email out to all reservation holders and pretty much freaked everyone out. The way they worded it made most think we’re about to get our trucks. Alas, it wasn’t to be. It was just something to cover the steps in our future purchase. Steps way way way into the future it seems…. 😂😂😂😭😭😭😢

CE1A99AA-B367-4277-B5E4-70CD78A75EC3.jpeg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom