The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (7 Viewers)

Thank you for posting this. I knew about the other minor ones they listed, but not this.

So if the dates in that are yo believed, I am ok. My car was manufactured on May 27, which is three day outside of the affected vehicles.

I will call the dealer tomorrow though.

As an aside, I am going to cry if someone does offer me the $10k over my cost. I love this thing, it is truly a great car so far.

I think I would feel different perhaps if it suddenly died in the middle of the road though,

yeah, if someone offers me 10K over what I will end up paying for mine, and I get the tax credit.. I'd be sorely tempted... own a car for 6 months and make $17K? yes please.

Sending all of my good thoughts to you and your wife.

Wish her good luck from all of us!
Thanks! I'm probably gonna start looking for a step up. 2+ years in my current position, so if I can move up another pay band or 2, I'd be in a position to earn enough that we could make that purchase without my wife needing to work full-time. But we'll see.

Also, this is more like what I'd be looking at. Open to a Hybrid mid size SUV. I love the look of the Palisade/Telluride but...$$$.

Hyundai Ioniq 5:

Screenshot_20220614-151000_Samsung Internet.jpg

Kia EV6:

Screenshot_20220614-151256_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I've been interested in the Jeep 4xe, and almost bought one this week, but logistically, I didn't think it would work out. I park on the street and I can't run an extension cord over the sidewalk every night. So I just ordered a new regular Jeep. I'm hoping I can trade out to an electric one down the road. I am dying though because it's going to take 12 weeks to come in.

Last edited:
I've been interested in the Jeep 4xe, and almost bought one this week, but logistically, I didn't think it would work out. I park on the street and I can't run an extension cord over the sidewalk every night. So I just ordered a new regular Jeep. I'm hoping I can trade out to an electric one down the road. I am dying though because it's going to take 12 weeks to come in.

I considered the Wrangler 4xe, but it's probably not the most practical car for my life right now.... :)

They're ridiculously expensive right now too. I saw a few of the Rubicons (i think) on the lot for over $80k. I mean, geez, lol.
Ooooooof, that would be top end fully loaded and also with some mods. I wasn't going to go that crazy.

Ooooooof, that would be top end fully loaded and also with some mods. I wasn't going to go that crazy.
Yeah, and that was before the surcharge. Here, dealers expect another $5k-$10k depending on the model. It's crazy. If the economy keeps softening up, those will go away pretty quickly tho.

Yeah, and that was before the surcharge. Here, dealers expect another $5k-$10k depending on the model. It's crazy. If the economy keeps softening up, those will go away pretty quickly tho.
Luckily, with the internet, you can easily find another dealership within 60 miles and use one that doesn't surcharge. At least around here. I just tell them upfront I'm not paying over sticker and I'd be hard pressed to pay over invoice. If they say no, I find another dealership. I just ordered a new Jeep at invoice price (well the invoice they show you). In old markets, I'd wait until they go below invoice. I was helping my friend buy a car a few months ago and the guy was trying to charge her $7000 over sticker, we laughed and walked out. We bought the same car across the lake for just under sticker.

Thanks! I'm probably gonna start looking for a step up. 2+ years in my current position, so if I can move up another pay band or 2, I'd be in a position to earn enough that we could make that purchase without my wife needing to work full-time. But we'll see.

Also, this is more like what I'd be looking at. Open to a Hybrid mid size SUV. I love the look of the Palisade/Telluride but...$$$.

Hyundai Ioniq 5:

Screenshot_20220614-151000_Samsung Internet.jpg

Kia EV6:

Screenshot_20220614-151256_Samsung Internet.jpg
I went the way of midsize hybrid SUV but it was out of necessity. Really want EV but its just not feasible for what I do. Wanted a beefy SUV with a ton of capability but that doesnt make economic sense. It’s my sensible side winning a negotiation.

I went the way of midsize hybrid SUV but it was out of necessity. Really want EV but its just not feasible for what I do. Wanted a beefy SUV with a ton of capability but that doesnt make economic sense. It’s my sensible side winning a negotiation.

Yeah, hybrids are mostly less costly than full ev, at least upfront. Idk about over the long haul, but both Hyundai and Kia have some decent mid-size SUVs in a hybrid offering so will probably look at those as well. I really like the look of the Santa Fe more than the Tuscon. Only thing I don't like is the A-pillar to the roof of the Tucson (didn't try the SF) is really low and i tend to hit my head when getting into the car. Don't have that problem with the Kia SUVs.

I'm open to trying other brands but the warranty for the Kia/Hyundai is hard to beat.

Yeah, hybrids are mostly less costly than full ev, at least upfront. Idk about over the long haul, but both Hyundai and Kia have some decent mid-size SUVs in a hybrid offering so will probably look at those as well. I really like the look of the Santa Fe more than the Tuscon. Only thing I don't like is the A-pillar to the roof of the Tucson (didn't try the SF) is really low and i tend to hit my head when getting into the car. Don't have that problem with the Kia SUVs.

I'm open to trying other brands but the warranty for the Kia/Hyundai is hard to beat.
It's not the money with the EV, it's the capability with range. I do 1k miles in a day at least a dozen times a year. It's also really hard to find a charging station in a disaster area where I spend a lot of time. It's not like gas where I can bring my own fuel.

It's not the money with the EV, it's the capability with range. I do 1k miles in a day at least a dozen times a year. It's also really hard to find a charging station in a disaster area where I spend a lot of time. It's not like gas where I can bring my own fuel.
Makes sense. Yeah, for us, we haven't traveled much lately, although we do plan to make at least 1 long trip a year starting next year. I wouldn't want to be limited to charging on those trips, so the hybrid seems like the right temporary compromise until battery charging and range are not an issue on more remote areas.

I considered the Wrangler 4xe, but it's probably not the most practical car for my life right now.... :)

Just an FYI, but The Grand Cherokee 4xe should be hitting dealer lots right about now.

Yeah hopefully for the sake of your businesses the call for the cessation of the production of combustion engines by 2030 doesn't happen. That would hamper you tremendously. Especially in disaster areas where there is no power.

There is no doubt we will get to a point where EVs can hopefully become a larger part of the transportation in the world, but we still need fossil fuels to get there. I don't understand this rush to end the use of the internal combustion engine before we even have the proper infrastructure in place. Let it happen organically and it will. If we rush this with laws prohibiting the production of ICE cars we are just asking for a litany of problems.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom