The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (10 Viewers)

My Mach E has been built and will be delivered August 11th. Also, apparently my kids' old nanny is married to a guy who works for Ford who has some friends and family discount he's going to give me, so.... winning!

So, I just got an invite for the pre-order of the Fisker Ocean One. This is for the first 5000 cars of the Fisker Ocean. What's interesting about this is that I'm probably about 35,000 on the original list. This means that not enough earlier registrations are taking Fisker up on the opportunity to buy one of the first 5000 cars. I'm also probably going to pass on the "opportunity". The main reason is that they require a $5,000 non-refundable deposit. And while I love the look of the car and the specs... there have been no reviews of the car, and obviously I can't test drive it. They haven't even released the safety testing ratings... That should come out this month.

This is clearly for car enthusiast who like pushing the envelope on new products... but that ain't me.

So, I just got an invite for the pre-order of the Fisker Ocean One. This is for the first 5000 cars of the Fisker Ocean. What's interesting about this is that I'm probably about 35,000 on the original list. This means that not enough earlier registrations are taking Fisker up on the opportunity to buy one of the first 5000 cars. I'm also probably going to pass on the "opportunity". The main reason is that they require a $5,000 non-refundable deposit. And while I love the look of the car and the specs... there have been no reviews of the car, and obviously I can't test drive it. They haven't even released the safety testing ratings... That should come out this month.

This is clearly for car enthusiast who like pushing the envelope on new products... but that ain't me.

Yea, I didn’t even bother looking at Fisker. That deposit requirement is a bridge too far.

WOOHOO! Rivian contacted me to schedule a test drive. They give us 45minutes with an R1T. We’re booked to go over to their service center this Saturday…

Anyone have any questions you want me to ask?

GM and Pilot Company say the new network will include 2,000 DC fast chargers installed at up to 500 truck stops and travel centers, capable of offering speeds of up to 350kW. The charging stalls will be built along US highways with the expressed purpose of meeting the needs of long-haul trucking and road-trippers.

The chargers will be in addition to the 3,250 chargers that GM is currently installing with EVgo, which the automaker has said will be completed by the end of 2025. The automaker has said it would spend $750 million in total on EV charging infrastructure.

I could have framed this picture a lot better but it was super bright outside and about 200° so this is it. The Lucid Air is a good looking car.

Attachments

• EC60BB4F-262E-4E6D-874E-298747C0FE72.jpeg
    EC60BB4F-262E-4E6D-874E-298747C0FE72.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Today Miyako and I got to drive this Launch Green Rivian R1T. Let me start by saying it’s all that and a box of cracker jacks. It’s a very impressive truck and I want mine now. BTW, the blue one below is exactly like the one I’ve ordered. I’d rather have this green one but those are a Launch Edition and are sold out.

Accelleration, as you might expect, is pretty amazing. I mean, this thing has 835HP and 903ft lbs of torque. We were on city streets so I couldn’t really drive it hard but I got enough of a feel to know it can haul tush. In comfort mode, it also rides like a mercedes. Very posh feeling. The seats are extremely comfortable too.

My son climbed into the gear tunnel and really didn’t want to get out. He pitched a bit of a fit when I made him come out. I think we’ll let him sleep there when we go camping. 😂

Fit and finish were pretty good. I didn’t get out and start measuring things but I think I’ve got a good eye and I didn’t notice any misaligned panels or obviously bad panel gaps. All in all, Miyako and I were very impressed. Now we just have to wait for Rivian to build ours.

Feel free to ask me anything if you have any questions.

F9F5974A-4430-4235-86AC-1CB92969D158.jpeg

2F18C3C1-10E2-445A-9471-54D88A6DF243.jpeg

Today Miyako and I got to drive this Launch Green Rivian R1T. Let me start by saying it’s all that and a box of cracker jacks. It’s a very impressive truck and I want mine now. BTW, the blue one below is exactly like the one I’ve ordered. I’d rather have this green one but those are a Launch Edition and are sold out.

Accelleration, as you might expect, is pretty amazing. I mean, this thing has 835HP and 903ft lbs of torque. We were on city streets so I couldn’t really drive it hard but I got enough of a feel to know it can haul tush. In comfort mode, it also rides like a mercedes. Very posh feeling. The seats are extremely comfortable too.

My son climbed into the gear tunnel and really didn’t want to get out. He pitched a bit of a fit when I made him come out. I think we’ll let him sleep there when we go camping. 😂

Fit and finish were pretty good. I didn’t get out and start measuring things but I think I’ve got a good eye and I didn’t notice any misaligned panels or obviously bad panel gaps. All in all, Miyako and I were very impressed. Now we just have to wait for Rivian to build ours.

Feel free to ask me anything if you have any questions.

F9F5974A-4430-4235-86AC-1CB92969D158.jpeg

2F18C3C1-10E2-445A-9471-54D88A6DF243.jpeg

Holy sheet that ducking thing really has 835/905?

What does it weigh?

These two guys own a Rivian and do very honest reviews. They were not given one to review by the company but bought their own and don't sugar coat anything. It's pretty long but a good watch. The younger one also owns a Tesla as well.

Very interesting at the 3:40 second mark how they talk about the fact that you can't be completely honest in your review of a product if you want to keep getting review cars.

Holy sheet that ducking thing really has 835/905?

What does it weigh?
The curb weight is 7148lbs. Mostly battery.
It has four motors, one for each wheel, that produce just over 200hp each. They do have a dual motor version coming next year that has a bit over 400hp and costs less.

I'm starting to get overwhelmed with all the different options becoming available.

I just passed 300k miles on my TL, so I'm approaching new car time. (I will say the TL still purrs like a kitten).

I really wanted the Ford Lightning. Then saw Ioniq 5 and was impressed. Then opened this and saw the Lucid and Rivian. Ugh.

I've always been a "sedan" guy (bc of kids). Really want truck as I've routinely needed a truck only to say "gee I wish I had a truck right now".

I guess I'll have to do some math and weigh out what I really want from my next auto. I just know it will be EV.

These two guys own a Rivian and do very honest reviews. They were not given one to review by the company but bought their own and don't sugar coat anything. It's pretty long but a good watch. The younger one also owns a Tesla as well.

Very interesting at the 3:40 second mark how they talk about the fact that you can't be completely honest in your review of a product if you want to keep getting review cars.

A lot to unpack there. I like, Now You Know’s videos. Their story on the roof top tent and their redneck camp kitchen were great. In this case, they are somewhat victims of a very fluid news environment. So a few things….

The GPS issue was a known issue. It was addressed with an OTA update. There was also a charging issue that was addressed as well. The OTA came out after this video was published. Out of Spec’s youtube channel did a towing test after the update and reported better charging. However, they had many issues with Electrify America. It’s no secret that EA is hot garbage right now. Most of their problems appear to be software related. It’s good news that Siemens has bought into that company and will be doing a lot of work to improve charging.

Another issue, that is a victim of a fluid news environment is the Tesla Supercharger network. By the end of this year, that will no longer be an exclusive to Tesla owners. Tesla is opening that network up to all EVs to take advantage of the new charger station subsidies that got through Congress late last year. Tesla is also going to go into a new building spree. Frankly I hope this has other charging networks shaking in their boots to the point they get their issues fixed.

Another interesting thing on that video was that redneck camp kitchen. I‘m absolutely doing something like this but they point out a valid downside in that you can only have one outlet running at a time and they drained the battery A LOT while cooking. One reason rivian used an induction cooktop is that it can be 10% more efficient than cookers that use a resistance coil. BTW, the induction top that Rivian uses in the camp kitchen is just a Dometic cook top. It can be had for under $500. The Ikea TILLREDA is dirt cheap if you can find one.

I'm starting to get overwhelmed with all the different options becoming available.

I just passed 300k miles on my TL, so I'm approaching new car time. (I will say the TL still purrs like a kitten).

I really wanted the Ford Lightning. Then saw Ioniq 5 and was impressed. Then opened this and saw the Lucid and Rivian. Ugh.

I've always been a "sedan" guy (bc of kids). Really want truck as I've routinely needed a truck only to say "gee I wish I had a truck right now".

I guess I'll have to do some math and weigh out what I really want from my next auto. I just know it will be EV.

The challenge you’re going to have is the wait for one of these trucks. Last I checked, Rivian has over 70K pre-orders with a high rate of reservation holders actually buying the truck. Ford has several hundred thousand orders and they’re sold out until 2025. The Chevy Silverado EV comes out next year I think the last report was over 300K in pre-orders. The Tesla Cybertruck won’t be coming out unitl mid 2023 at the earliest but still has well over a million pre-orders..

There is a Ram EV pickup that will be introduced later this year. Keep an eye out for that. If Ram offers pre-orders, I suggest jumping on it the moment the pre-order site opens. An EV version of the Ford Ranger may be introduced next year as well.

The Hyundai line of EVs are pretty impressive and they still qualify for EV tax credits. I don’t think you’re going wrong if you go that route.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom