The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (10 Viewers)

A lot to unpack there. I like, Now You Know’s videos. Their story on the roof top tent and their redneck camp kitchen were great. In this case, they are somewhat victims of a very fluid news environment. So a few things….

The GPS issue was a known issue. It was addressed with an OTA update. There was also a charging issue that was addressed as well. The OTA came out after this video was published. Out of Spec’s youtube channel did a towing test after the update and reported better charging. However, they had many issues with Electrify America. It’s no secret that EA is hot garbage right now. Most of their problems appear to be software related. It’s good news that Siemens has bought into that company and will be doing a lot of work to improve charging.

Another issue, that is a victim of a fluid news environment is the Tesla Supercharger network. By the end of this year, that will no longer be an exclusive to Tesla owners. Tesla is opening that network up to all EVs to take advantage of the new charger station subsidies that got through Congress late last year. Tesla is also going to go into a new building spree. Frankly I hope this has other charging networks shaking in their boots to the point they get their issues fixed.

Another interesting thing on that video was that redneck camp kitchen. I‘m absolutely doing something like this but they point out a valid downside in that you can only have one outlet running at a time and they drained the battery A LOT while cooking. One reason rivian used an induction cooktop is that it can be 10% more efficient than cookers that use a resistance coil. BTW, the induction top that Rivian uses in the camp kitchen is just a Dometic cook top. It can be had for under $500. The Ikea TILLREDA is dirt cheap if you can find one.

There are gobs of induction cooktops that run on household 100v.
The only complaint (and it's a big one) I have about our Samsung induction is the touch control system. Any oil/water spatter has random results...it might turn off, it might go to full power, it might decide it's not going to respond to any further inputs until you completely clean it.
"Set and forget" is not a thing.

hey... i'm going to have a Mustang. It has the pony and everything...

I refuse to call it a Mustang. I'll call it a Mach-E but anything with 5 doors isn't a Mustang.

This rollout is just the beginning of what is expected to be thousands of Amazon’s custom electric delivery vehicles in more than 100 cities by the end of this year—and 100,000 across the U.S. by 2030.

This rollout is just the beginning of what is expected to be thousands of Amazon’s custom electric delivery vehicles in more than 100 cities by the end of this year—and 100,000 across the U.S. by 2030.

EVs for local market fleet use make so much sense. The service and fuel savings on fleet are compelling - like substantial across the fleet. If acquisition costs are manageable, I think we’ll see all kinds of local fleets go EV. Bus systems, police, local area trucking, etc.

EVs for local market fleet use make so much sense. The service and fuel savings on fleet are compelling - like substantial across the fleet. If acquisition costs are manageable, I think we’ll see all kinds of local fleets go EV. Bus systems, police, local area trucking, etc.

I agree and, of course, those are the bigger reasons that Amazon bought a fairly good sized chunk of Rivian.

So I mentioned that when I bought my Mach-e I was going to list it $10k over what I paid.

Well I got the registration two weeks ago and listed it last weekend. I heard from someone today in Willmington, NC that they would like to buy it. Gave me 10k over, no questions, despite the fact I get to keep the tax credit.

It’s a no brainer but I am really torn. I walk with $17.5k between the sale and the non transferable tax credit for the car. But man, I love my car - and I have never really cared about such things. Mach-e really is a great car.

I just checked and I can’t even get in line yet for 2023.

So ……I sold it but I hope I don’t regret it.

But I will have $17k to dry my eyes with

So I mentioned that when I bought my Mach-e I was going to list it $10k over what I paid.

Well I got the registration two weeks ago and listed it last weekend. I heard from someone today in Willmington, NC that they would like to buy it. Gave me 10k over, no questions, despite the fact I get to keep the tax credit.

It’s a no brainer but I am really torn. I walk with $17.5k between the sale and the non transferable tax credit for the car. But man, I love my car - and I have never really cared about such things. Mach-e really is a great car.

I just checked and I can’t even get in line yet for 2023.

So ……I sold it but I hope I don’t regret it.

But I will have $17k to dry my eyes with

I drove by our local Audi dealer and saw a Rivian R1T in the used lot. They are asking $140K for it. Looking at the specs, and assuming they ordered it before the March 1st price increases, I estimate it cost the original buyer ~$80K.

I drove by our local Audi dealer and saw a Rivian R1T in the used lot. They are asking $140K for it. Looking at the specs, and assuming they ordered it before the March 1st price increases, I estimate it cost the original buyer ~$80K.
Insanity, lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom