The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (5 Viewers)

If you're current break panel can handle the additional amps, then all you are paying for is a 60amp circuit breaker, and then running the 6 gauge wire to the location where you want it. The wire can get a bit expensive if you need to do a long run, but the labor should be very minimal -- to add a new circuit should be like a couple hundred bucks max. Then if you are fishing wire to the location you want, that can get a bit tricky, and you might need to replace some drywall -- mine was an external run, so we had to bury the wire along the base of the house, so it was pretty easy.

If you need to heavy up your circuit panel, then that can be a couple grand.

If you're current break panel can handle the additional amps, then all you are paying for is a 60amp circuit breaker, and then running the 6 gauge wire to the location where you want it. The wire can get a bit expensive if you need to do a long run, but the labor should be very minimal -- to add a new circuit should be like a couple hundred bucks max. Then if you are fishing wire to the location you want, that can get a bit tricky, and you might need to replace some drywall -- mine was an external run, so we had to bury the wire along the base of the house, so it was pretty easy.

If you need to heavy up your circuit panel, then that can be a couple grand.
yea, I just need the breaker and conduit to run about 20' to the garage. Fortunately, I found out that my neighbor has been doing these at $25 an hour + materials. He is a retired master electrician and has apparently done multiple level 2 chargers in the neighborhood. So that problem is resolved.

yea, I just need the breaker and conduit to run about 20' to the garage. Fortunately, I found out that my neighbor has been doing these at $25 an hour + materials. He is a retired master electrician and has apparently done multiple level 2 chargers in the neighborhood. So that problem is resolved.

Dude.. $25/hr? That's amazing... keep that guy in your contacts list for sure.

Btw - the Mach E has been amazing so far. Drove to Baltimore yesterday... super easy, did the hands free driving for a bit, worked great, but I like to drive and this is very fun to drive.

The one potential issue is that it has a pretty stiff suspension, so you feel the road a lot more. Which is great for "fun" driving, but for passengers wanting a relaxing ride, not as much.

I also need to get used to smoother acceleration on it with my wife in the car.... it really is instant.

Dis they take into account the cost of the down time to recharge the trucks battery? If not it should have been since every minute that truck isn't moving is an expense that should be added. They also don't seem to realize that most drivers are paid by the mile so there would be a truckers strike over the pay system which would likely pay them by the hour all of this will likely cost the consumer more. Until they come out with a standard battery (that can be replaced in 30ish minutes or so and the old battery recharged until ready for a later truck) and last for 5 hours or so, this simply won't work

Dis they take into account the cost of the down time to recharge the trucks battery? If not it should have been since every minute that truck isn't moving is an expense that should be added. They also don't seem to realize that most drivers are paid by the mile so there would be a truckers strike over the pay system which would likely pay them by the hour all of this will likely cost the consumer more. Until they come out with a standard battery (that can be replaced in 30ish minutes or so and the old battery recharged until ready for a later truck) and last for 5 hours or so, this simply won't work
Wow, you are so right. I bet you are the only one who is smart enough to think of these things. Man, electric vehicles will never be desired.

No one will want them. All these fools lining up and waiting for months to get one are just wasting their time. It's going to suck big time when the fleet thing for deliveries doesn't work out and the supply chain fails.

Thanks for being the interwebz expert who can diagnose pitfalls without even doing a study! We are all better off having your extensive knowledge oh lord of information.

Wow, you are so right. I bet you are the only one who is smart enough to think of these things. Man, electric vehicles will never be desired.

No one will want them. All these fools lining up and waiting for months to get one are just wasting their time. It's going to suck big time when the fleet thing for deliveries doesn't work out and the supply chain fails.

Thanks for being the interwebz expert who can diagnose pitfalls without even doing a study! We are all better off having your extensive knowledge oh lord of information.

We don't need to get snarky on it. He does make a legit point. Time is money.

That being said Meri, these Tesla trucks will be using their new Megachargers. Those new chargers deliver 1megawatt of power and reportedly can add 400 miles of range within 30 minutes.

Now that is still a significant amount of time, but there are a lot of side benefits. IMO, the biggest downside is the lack of Megachargers. IMO you'll see the Tesla semi used for short haul trucking until we see a large number of Megachargers built.

He does make a legit point. Time is money.
Then maybe he could have come in with a more considered approach than profit is the only important thing so this will fail. ICE has significant downside and the maximal profit mindset no matter the impact needs to be challenged. People and the planet matter more than money.

Is electric the perfect solution? Of course not, but only by starting down the path can we develop it more fully. If this would have been started in the 70's we may not be getting 10k year storms every year.

I never wrote anything like that, I was just pointing out that a "study" didn't look to take in all the variables involved.

This is simply comparing the energy costs between the two platforms. That’s all it is. Where are you even getting the “pay truckers by the hour” from this?

Any word on when the 2023 Mustange Mach-E will be open for ordering? I had read independently (and on here as well) that ordering was going to open today, but the Ford website is still just offering the option to sign up for an email to be notified when the ordering process will open up.

Any word on when the 2023 Mustange Mach-E will be open for ordering? I had read independently (and on here as well) that ordering was going to open today, but the Ford website is still just offering the option to sign up for an email to be notified when the ordering process will open up.
A dealership I’ve been talking to said it was supposed to be today “but they keep pushing it back. Check back in September”

Getting so close, SOOOOOO CLOSE! I realized Rivian was using Boulder county for my sales taxes. Their tax rate is about 2% higher than mine are in Weld county. It's an easy mistake that I've seen others make. My zipcode crosses both counties. Anyways, they're getting that fixed and then I can get a check cut by my credit union and make my down payment.

Still lookin' good that I'll take delivery on Thursday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom