The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (8 Viewers)

This seems like a great use of EV. Known routes of limited range for normal use with tons of stop and start make EV much more efficient.

Absolutely- I’ve been saying that for years now, local fleets should be going EV based purely on the economics. Energy and maintenance savings are substantial. The acquisition costs and buildout of the charging stations would likely be expensive but offset eventually.

Presuming the vehicles are available for a given fleet need.

This is some pretty cool tech with regards to a hydrogen-powered vehicle... I'm sure the Triple F guys are gonna buy one... Only 300 to be made in total, range of 1,000 miles on a single 'tank/charge/whatever you call it', reportedly over 2k HP, fully charge in 5 min...

This is some pretty cool tech with regards to a hydrogen-powered vehicle... I'm sure the Triple F guys are gonna buy one... Only 300 to be made in total, range of 1,000 miles on a single 'tank/charge/whatever you call it', reportedly over 2k HP, fully charge in 5 min...

Mmm. I don’t know if I would be able to get my dog in there so I won’t be buying one.

So rather than an inline-six or v-eight that the CJ7s originally came with, Mopar has dropped in a "scalable 400-volt, 200-kW Electric Drive Module" that provides four-wheel drive capabilities. That powerplant is backed by a 24-module Li-ion battery that sits in a "custom shell mounted in the rear of the passenger cabin," which you can see as the giant silver box dominating the trunk space in the image above. And rather than a traditional manual transmission, the Surge replaces the stick shift with a Wrangler JK center console and rotary shifter knob.

So rather than an inline-six or v-eight that the CJ7s originally came with, Mopar has dropped in a "scalable 400-volt, 200-kW Electric Drive Module" that provides four-wheel drive capabilities. That powerplant is backed by a 24-module Li-ion battery that sits in a "custom shell mounted in the rear of the passenger cabin," which you can see as the giant silver box dominating the trunk space in the image above. And rather than a traditional manual transmission, the Surge replaces the stick shift with a Wrangler JK center console and rotary shifter knob.

Absolutely genius .

For years, i hoped and wished Jeep would just come out with some hybrid models.. now, they have hybrids, EVs and it looks like, according to the post above- they are even electrifying classic old Jeeps .. this is awesome, it’s like a perfect fantasy for someone like myself who loves old hot rods and classics but also loves electric vehicles .. and it looks like the technology might also be transferable to ‘electrify’ other Jeeps as well… i eventually want to convert my Grand Cherokee to electric so that i can drive it forever and not line Middle East pockets and American oil companies …. Well done, Jeep .

ETA except for that damn rotary shift knob.. i have a company car with one of those now and it’s just an obscenely wimpy way to shift a car.. bring back the stick shift !

The possibility of a hydrogen "battery" technology to replace all the collection of toxic batteries we employ for energy storage.

There’s a Hummer EV near me - I have seen it a couple of times. Pretty ridiculous but they always have been. It sort of looks like a Rivian on steroids.

First I'd heard about this one. 25k, 200 hp, and 400 miles sized between the Maverick and Tacoma? If it's decent quality might be a strong player. Heard that the Maverick is selling so strong Toyota is rushing a pickup based on the RAV4 platform to stem the loss of customers.

Can anyone explain to me the appeal of the Cybertruck? I think it looks ugly AF, like it came off the set of Aliens 2. It seems like it would be a b**ch to park in typical parking lots/garages, and just looking at it I can't see how it improves on the utility of a standard truck in terms of bed utility.

On top of that, the Rivian truck is sexy AF and Ford, Chevy, and other companies are presumably putting out their own EV trucks into market before Tesla's becomes available.

Someone explain this to me like I'm a 5 year old.

Can anyone explain to me the appeal of the Cybertruck? I think it looks ugly AF, like it came off the set of Aliens 2. It seems like it would be a b**ch to park in typical parking lots/garages, and just looking at it I can't see how it improves on the utility of a standard truck in terms of bed utility.

On top of that, the Rivian truck is sexy AF and Ford, Chevy, and other companies are presumably putting out their own EV trucks into market before Tesla's becomes available.

Someone explain this to me like I'm a 5 year old.
Nope. It looks like a giant piece of crap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom