The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (7 Viewers)

That’s great.
No offense, just posting something I read.
I did find a review on it and he mentioned a recall for something. I wasn't able to watch and pay close attn so was gonna go back and rewatch. Might have been addressed, but thanks, will def check on that.

Makes sense since base model EV costs as much as a small home. Lol.

And with EV in overdrive, I'm now debating truck vs car ( I put down 100 for the Chevy order window). So many options coming forward now it's making my head spin a bit.

Plus I saw a white Rivian 2 nights ago...pretty great looking truck.

That’s great.
No offense, just posting something I read.
none taken...just saying if anyone had any questions...i know i am inline for the battery recall...i am still charging at 100% even though they sent me a letter to only charge to 80%...bought the car with 6 miles on it and we are at 13k+ and has not caught on fire yet :) maybe for christmas :)

Anyone looked at the Chevy Bolt EUV? There are some compromises, but the price point is pretty attractive with 6300$ off sticker on inventory sitting right now.

I've found they have lower charge rating than current standards and only 247 mile range, but for a city errand car make a good bit of sense.
Yea, it‘s a decent little EV that be great for 75% of people out there. I thought about buying one as a 3rd car when Chevy had some big rebates on it. I ultimately passed and kept waiting on my Rivian.

Old article. The battery issue has been resolved. Basically LG had to replace the batteries on every single Bolt.

Yea, it‘s a decent little EV that be great for 75% of people out there. I thought about buying one as a 3rd car when Chevy had some big rebates on it. I ultimately passed and kept waiting on my Rivian.

Old article. The battery issue has been resolved. Basically LG had to replace the batteries on every single Bolt.
Good to know.

Dyson needs to hurry up with his solid state battery tech.

Less danger. Also higher energy density so less battery weight required for more range.

He scrapped his EV SUV to redirect funding to the battery... one of the capitol rich big players should get on that.

Dyson needs to hurry up with his solid state battery tech.

Less danger. Also higher energy density so less battery weight required for more range.

He scrapped his EV SUV to redirect funding to the battery... one of the capitol rich big players should get on that.

I don't think Dyson's SSB tech is targetting automotive applications. Last I read, they were more intent to using it in their appliances.

Right now, Toyota is the leader in bringing SSB to cars. Quantum Scape is probably right behind them. VW is a big investor in them.

Rivian issued new delays. They delivery of their 400 mile R1T is pushed back another year to early 2024.

Also, Rivian released a new delivery date window for pre-order holders. Many hare being pushed back several months. Of course they're pushed back a year if they ordered a Max Pack.
Rickboy do you know what is the story with the Rivian? I just saw a report that their stock price is down 77% (Dec over Dec). They just dropped a partnership with MB and while they have delivered quite a few trucks they also took a big loss in Q3 (+1 billion I think). Are they in trouble? I wonder if the electric F-150 is hammering their plans?
They looked like a rising star and I was hoping they were on the verge of some battery optimizations which would eclipse the 500 mile range?

Rickboy do you know what is the story with the Rivian? I just saw a report that their stock price is down 77% (Dec over Dec). They just dropped a partnership with MB and while they have delivered quite a few trucks they also took a big loss in Q3 (+1 billion I think). Are they in trouble? I wonder if the electric F-150 is hammering their plans?
They looked like a rising star and I was hoping they were on the verge of some battery optimizations which would eclipse the 500 mile range?

There are several factors at work. The IPOs huge bump was strictly hype induced. There has always been a lot of upside on the stock but nothing justified the price being at $172. I sold mine at $128. Afterwards they had some missteps such as the price increase that was applied to original order holders and then rolled back. They also suffered from supply issues that cut this years projected production from 75000 units to 25000. Delays have also hurt production plants for the long range battery (400 miles of range) and the R1S SUV.

Like all other stocks, they have also been hurt by high interest rates. Investors are less willing to take a chance on a company with long term profit prospects when they have to pay interest on the money they’re investing. Those same rates are the thing that caused Rivian to pause the MB joint venture. Borrowing money is more expensive so it has become crucial for them to preserve capital as they scale up the Illinois plant. They’ve also delayed their Georgia plant by a year to preserve money..

On the flip side, next year Rivian should start deliveries of a cheaper version of their truck. That will have two electric motors instead of four. It will also have a smaller battery. The price should get back down below $70K with those improvements. The more expensive 4 motor version will continue to be sold. Although delayed by a year, Rivian is still planning to bring out the R2 based vehicle in 2025/6. That is a smaller SUV that will supposedly start at ~$50K.

There is more going on there but to suffice to say, it’s hard to start a new car company. Tesla had a massive advantage in that they lived in a world of near zero interest rates. They also could sell A LOT of carbon credits to other automakers. Those carbon credits saved their butts for years. Rivian doesn’t have that advantage because the market for carbon credits is pretty much done unless something changes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom