The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (4 Viewers)

Probably highly location dependent. I think when I started EV in 2019 I paid about $.1275 per kw/h and now it’s right around $.135- so recharging at home is quite inexpensive.

But in the northeast, for example, it’s twice that.

It's truthful and good info, but a bit too close to fear mongering for me. I prefer to accept things take time to develop rather than be instantly available and plan accordingly. I debate whether it's by design that articles do that or personal biases which shape how individuals react to them. Prob a bit of both with more on the article side as the writer wants to generate revenue from a controvertial take.

That said, there are already some solutions. Seimen's has developed a charge port which installs at the meter in ~15 mins and reduces upgrade costs by up to 60%. They'll take some time, but only an idiot thinks electric vehicles are ready to replace ICE vehicles completely as things exist today.

If you follow the announcements, ICE development is being phased out while electric infrastructure is being developed so it seems smart money is on EV's happening despite the valid issues.

It's truthful and good info, but a bit too close to fear mongering for me. I prefer to accept things take time to develop rather than be instantly available and plan accordingly. I debate whether it's by design that articles do that or personal biases which shape how individuals react to them. Prob a bit of both with more on the article side as the writer wants to generate revenue from a controvertial take.

That said, there are already some solutions. Seimen's has developed a charge port which installs at the meter in ~15 mins and reduces upgrade costs by up to 60%. They'll take some time, but only an idiot thinks electric vehicles are ready to replace ICE vehicles completely as things exist today.

If you follow the announcements, ICE development is being phased out while electric infrastructure is being developed so it seems smart money is on EV's happening despite the valid issues.
shopping

$1500.00 Ouch...

I guess if you can afford the car, 1500 isn't bad.

Last edited:
shopping

$1500.00 Ouch...

I guess if you can afford the car, 1500 isn't bad.
When CD's first came out, my father paid 700$ for a single disk 4x read system. Within a few years it was worthless as a new one with 16x 5 disk carousel model became available for ~100$.

It costs extra to be an early adopter. If it's not worth it to you, I understand because it isn't to me either. That doesn't mean I have to point out every fault while I wait to me. We need those early adopters to pay for the dev so I can enjoy the refined product.

My path is a different one to others. It's better to me, but others probably prefer their own. I'm ok with that, but I do still point out if I see unrealistic or invalid expectations. That article is unrealistic in that it compares a fledgling industry to one refined by over a century of development and govt subsidies.

Heads up for those buyers looking for tax credits.

New rules start 4/18

From article -

The IRA requires 50% of the value of battery components to be produced or assembled in North America to qualify for a $3,750 credit and 40% of the value of critical minerals sourced from the United States or a free trade partner also for a $3,750 credit.

Alliance for Automotive Innovation CEO John Bozzella said in a statement his best guess is "few" EVs on the market will qualify for the full $7,500 credit after April 17. He noted the requirement EVs be assembled in North America to qualify for any credit eliminated 70% of models

Heads up for those buyers looking for tax credits.

New rules start 4/18

From article -

The IRA requires 50% of the value of battery components to be produced or assembled in North America to qualify for a $3,750 credit and 40% of the value of critical minerals sourced from the United States or a free trade partner also for a $3,750 credit.

Alliance for Automotive Innovation CEO John Bozzella said in a statement his best guess is "few" EVs on the market will qualify for the full $7,500 credit after April 17. He noted the requirement EVs be assembled in North America to qualify for any credit eliminated 70% of models

Electrek has a more in depth analysis.

According to the company, its lithium-ion cells, based on the Silicon Anode Platform, offer roughly two times higher energy density than state-of-the-art,= commercially available lithium-ion cells, which means a two times longer run time (or alternatively, half the weight/size, assuming the capacity is the same).

More info on the 2025 RAM 1500 EV.
Top battery has 229kWh and a 500mile range.
The standard battery has 168kWh and gives a range of 350miles.
There is supposedly a range extender engine option to be made as well.
Up to 654HP, 14000lbs towing capacity, 1700lbs cargo, 800v architecture, 350kW DC Fast Charging, tons of storage everywhere, including a massive frunk, etc., etc.

It supposedly arrives in late 2024. I went ahead and put in a reservation. I don't think one will be available to me until late 2025 or early 2026. That's about the time I would be ready to trade in my Rivian.

This is disturbing to say the least

Welp...I'm off the Tesla bandwagon. Never actually was on it to begin with, but no, I don't want cameras in my car, and not just Teslas, but any car. Looking out, fine, looking in...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom