The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (5 Viewers)

Maps works directly with compatible EVs to keep track of your vehicle’s battery levels, energy usage, and other metrics to make sure you don’t run out of battery halfway through your journey. With this, Maps can also predict what your battery will be upon arrival.

Siemens’ new factory in Carrollton, Texas, is making VersiCharge Blues, which are level 2 AC EV chargers. The Buy American-compliant chargers range from 48 to 80 amps (11.5 to 19.5 kW), and the company says they can be used for almost any installation including commercial, federal, and school bus fleets, as well as offices, hospitals, airports, campuses, parking garages, and lots.

I'm still in the EV market for my wife. Really wanted a Tesla but just can't get behind another Elon product after my experiences with Starlink and now Twitter. Lots of lies and irrational thinking to invest in a vehicle dependent on software updates. Went from a future customer to someone that refuses to buy a product from that company in a year. I'm wondering if the demand issues with Tesla aren't more about Elon and less about the demand for new cars.

Sadly, there isn't really anything that offers the range and performance combination that Tesla does for anywhere near the price but the gap is closing really fast. The Ioniq 6I also want to be able to charge it from the solar panels on my house and then feed electricity back into my house overnight, something the F-150 lightning and several other EV's allow for. I've considered the lightning and would have one if it wasn't for the rapid and massive price hikes last year. Really though, looking more at a sedan, crossover or SUV. The Ioniq 6 is the closest thing and if I had to pick one now I would give up the performance and pay $10k more than the Tesla for the Hyundai.

Last edited:
I'm still in the EV market for my wife. Really wanted a Tesla but just can't get behind another Elon product after my experiences with Starlink and now Twitter. Lots of lies and irrational thinking to invest in a vehicle dependent on software updates. Went from a future customer to someone that refuses to buy a product from that company in a year. I'm wondering if the demand issues with Tesla aren't more about Elon and less about the demand for new cars.

Sadly, there isn't really anything that offers the range and performance combination that Tesla does for anywhere near the price but the gap is closing really fast. The Ioniq 6I also want to be able to charge it from the solar panels on my house and then feed electricity back into my house overnight, something the F-150 lightning and several other EV's allow for. I've considered the lightning and would have one if it wasn't for the rapid and massive price hikes last year. Really though, looking more at a sedan, crossover or SUV. The Ioniq 6 is the closest thing and if I had to pick one now I would give up the performance and pay $10k more than the Tesla for the Hyundai.
What's your price range?
The Rivian is going to have V2H battery backup. There isn't a timeline on it yet but their dev team has said it's on the roadmap. There is also the upcoming KIA EV9: https://www.kia.com/us/en/ev9

What's your price range?
The Rivian is going to have V2H battery backup. There isn't a timeline on it yet but their dev team has said it's on the roadmap. There is also the upcoming KIA EV9: https://www.kia.com/us/en/ev9
I'd prefer something with the tax rebate but pretty flexible. EV9 is certainly on my radar but all the specs haven't been released yet. If they put that 100KW battery option out there in the $65k range it may be a winner. I'm really skeptical with Rivian. I really think they should focus production and development solely on the fleet models and sales before focusing on passenger lineups. I don't mind spending more, the way my wife drives it'll be a car that lasts 10-15 years. Plus if it has the V2H option then it's got another $15k in value to me as additional home power storage and energy savings. Right now, the Tesla battery I have underperforms what was advertised so basically it runs out of juice by midnight. In a pinch I could leave essentials only and make it through the night but that doesn't give me any room to play with cloud cover. A 75-100KW battery turns my home into a full time off the grid house and I wouldn't ever pay for charging power.

I'm also not opposed to buying a camry or something to let the wife drive a couple years and let the tech catch up to some of the concepts. I really like what Hyundai is doing and think Ford is going to shock the world at some point with that beefy battery from the lightning in an SUV. Even more so, I'd like the level 3 driving to start hitting the shelves. I think we're 2 years away from seeing it roll out all over the place.

In theory that EV9 could be turned into a performance model with an even less restrictive version of GM's supercruise on interstates and highways in 2 years. Question then becomes at what price.

5 years ago Tesla had a 10 year jump on the EV market. Today I feel like the rest of the world has closed that gap to 2 years and I think Tesla is preoccupied and willing to give up that gap. That's when the EV market is going to start leaving ICE in the dust.

So that's my thinking on things. She really needs a car and once I ruled Tesla out I feel a little more patient but still have a 10 year old car that is becoming unreliable.

Last edited:
Robert Sansone may have made electric motors significantly more affordable.

Synchronous reluctance motors don’t use magnets. Instead, a steel rotor with air gaps cut into it aligns itself with the rotating magnetic field. Reluctance, or the magnetism of a material, is key to this process. As the rotor spins along with the rotating magnetic field, torque is produced. More torque is produced when the saliency ratio, or difference in magnetism between materials (in this case, the steel and the non-magnetic air gaps), is greater.

Instead of using air gaps, Sansone thought he could incorporate another magnetic field into a motor. This would increase this saliency ratio and, in turn, produce more torque.
Sansone tested his motor for torque and efficiency, and then reconfigured it to run as a more traditional synchronous reluctance motor for comparison. He found that his novel design exhibited 39 percent greater torque and 31 percent greater efficiency at 300 revolutions per minute (RPM). At 750 RPM, it performed at 37 percent greater efficiency. He couldn’t test his prototype at higher revolutions per minute because the plastic pieces would overheat

This idea makes sense for urban police forces...

Been saying that for two years - the economic case for local fleet going to EV is undeniable. Forget about the emissions, the economic case alone is compelling. Any local fleet, so police are an obvious example.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom