The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (4 Viewers)

Hopefully other manufacturers have better quality control and design because there is no excuse for this

And before the fan boys jump on my case, there are numerous sources including Elon Musk that have addressed design, engineering, and quality control issues. There is no excuse for this. $16,000 for a simple repair

Hopefully other manufacturers have better quality control and design because there is no excuse for this

And before the fan boys jump on my case, there are numerous sources including Elon Musk that have addressed design, engineering, and quality control issues. There is no excuse for this. $16,000 for a simple repair

Reminds me of this:

My buddy is an automotive engineer in Japan now, after being with Ford for a long time. He relayed to me what his friend at Audi said about Tesla: (me paraphrasing) "The engineering design control and tolerances are much higher than any quality European automaker would allow. Eventually that will catch up to Tesla when the Europeans get fully into the EV market."

Reminds me of this:

My buddy is an automotive engineer in Japan now, after being with Ford for a long time. He relayed to me what his friend at Audi said about Tesla: (me paraphrasing) "The engineering design control and tolerances are much higher than any quality European automaker would allow. Eventually that will catch up to Tesla when the Europeans get fully into the EV market."
The choice of light plastic to protect critical components from road debris is just horrible...isn't like they didn't know what they were doing

On the other hand this is VERY impressive and needs to be more widespread. If I ever can build on my land, it will have a solar roof

Reminds me of this:

I think this goes to the right to repair issue being fought right now. If I understand it in simple terms there's been a design in many manufacturing companies to force customers into reliance upon the OEM for parts and\or repair. This goes beyond cars and EV though. If the line isn't drawn here, it'll be with everything produced eventually. I know John Deere already has similar policies in that they are sole supplier and farmers are having to get used parts hacked to repair their tractors.

They say you are being sold something, but in reality it's essentially a permanent lease orchestrated by mechanisms.

I think this goes to the right to repair issue being fought right now. If I understand it in simple terms there's been a design in many manufacturing companies to force customers into reliance upon the OEM for parts and\or repair. This goes beyond cars and EV though. If the line isn't drawn here, it'll be with everything produced eventually. I know John Deere already has similar policies in that they are sole supplier and farmers are having to get used parts hacked to repair their tractors.

They say you are being sold something, but in reality it's essentially a permanent lease orchestrated by mechanisms.

Yeah, it get particularly problematic as we rely more and more on software to do these repairs- because software use is easy to control through the license process.

Update on the John Deere right-to-repair issue:

Last edited:
Yeah, it get particularly problematic as we rely more and more on software to do these repairs- because software is use is easy to control through the license process.

Update on the John Deere right-to-repair issue:

You also get into a sticky widget with cars that can be software updated.

The company now claims that the owner of the car, who purchased it from a third-party dealer — a dealer who bought it at an auction held by Tesla itself — “did not pay” for the features and therefore is not eligible to use them.

The features were enabled when the dealer bought the car, and they were advertised as part of the package when the car was sold to its owner. It’s a peculiar situation that raises hard questions about the nature of over-the-air software updates as they relate to vehicles.

Can you sell electricity to Entergy in Louisiana if you produce extra juice from solar?

Whatever happened to our research into Hydrogen powered vehicles? I did some research and found that it is still going on, but why isn't that making the news? Wouldn't it be better than battery powered? I mean, I know they still use batteries to store energy, like the energy lost when braking, but they refuel faster, emit water vapor, etc. What's the deal?

Last edited:
Yes, but I think you get credits from the energy company until you sell and move. At least that was the case when I looked into it.

ETA looks like they basically killed it...

On the surface, this looks mean and evil, but if he is correct that 3 cents per kilowatt hour is approximately an industry standard AND that the cap was preventing people from getting the benefits of the 10 cents per kilowatt hour, then this may not be that bad.
Would take some number crunching to figure out

IMO, a fair compromise would have been to reinstate the state credits so you still have an upfront incentive

On the surface, this looks mean and evil, but if he is correct that 3 cents per kilowatt hour is approximately an industry standard AND that the cap was preventing people from getting the benefits of the 10 cents per kilowatt hour, then this may not be that bad.
Would take some number crunching to figure out

IMO, a fair compromise would have been to reinstate the state credits so you still have an upfront incentive
I just have a problem with home owners having to sell at wholesale and then buy back at full cost. IMHO it should be consistent. If you force them to sell at wholesale then you shouldn't be allowed to turn around and get retail back from them.

I just have a problem with home owners having to sell at wholesale and then buy back at full cost. IMHO it should be consistent. If you force them to sell at wholesale then you shouldn't be allowed to turn around and get retail back from them.
Why should the electric company act as a free battery for the customer?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom