The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (11 Viewers)

Been looking around at EV motorcycles. I might pick up one of these for nice weather days and quick trips to the grocery etc. Digging the retro styling and it's less than 5K for the base model.

Bild_6_29774adc-c63f-40cf-aaf4-e709b8afe6b5_1800x1800.jpg

But then there's this sexy beast... I mean that color scheme is spot on for my tastes.

122853544_904216069982553_2720438139292822149_n.jpg

I cant do motorcycles since they are death traps.. my ex works at a hospital, and after hearing her stories every single day for years, about her motorcycle accident patients who wound up maimed and/or in various stages of paralysis (and that’s the ones who survived)- i now realize that there are only two types of motorcyclists: those that have had grotesque accidents, and those who are *going* to have grotesque accidents…. But if i were going to get one, those two look spiffy !

I cant do motorcycles since they are death traps.. my ex works at a hospital, and after hearing her stories every single day for years, about her motorcycle accident patients who wound up maimed and/or in various stages of paralysis (and that’s the ones who survived)- i now realize that there are only two types of motorcyclists: those that have had grotesque accidents, and those who are *going* to have grotesque accidents…. But if i were going to get one, those two look spiffy !
I do share your apprehension. It's why I'm interested in the dual-sport. Used to ride motocross and miss the ability to get out on the trails. Electric has a lot going for it over 4stroke vs 2 stroke for riding off-road in multiple environments. Worst mistake I ever made riding was following the enduro crowd up a mountain on my 2 stroke. Miserable time trying to ride up a hillside over fallen branches etc with no torque.

Honestly, I'd probably only very occasionally take it on the street for more than a couple miles. And for that, I have a few longer but low volume and speed roads that can get me where I want to be.

I do share your apprehension. It's why I'm interested in the dual-sport. Used to ride motocross and miss the ability to get out on the trails. Electric has a lot going for it over 4stroke vs 2 stroke for riding off-road in multiple environments. Worst mistake I ever made riding was following the enduro crowd up a mountain on my 2 stroke. Miserable time trying to ride up a hillside over fallen branches etc with no torque.

Honestly, I'd probably only very occasionally take it on the street for more than a couple miles. And for that, I have a few longer but low volume and speed roads that can get me where I want to be.

I have mentioned here before that I’m looking to possibly retire early overseas.. and in a lot of these cheap countries with American expats, especially in Asia, scooters are very popular.. So if i go that route, i may do a scooter, since, at least in my perception- you cant go as fast as with a motorcycle , which might make scooters safer.. of course, this does nothing to account for other drivers.. in any case, these seem to be the most popular models.

D54D0933-BE59-4A49-9062-76D09C8BEEF0.jpeg

27EB89FC-4D58-4820-A64A-19771A6A4EFF.jpeg

Jaguar's I-Pace has been delivering for a few months now - the reviews are strong.

The body style is hard to define - not quite the 4-door coupe lines that the Model S gives you. Almost more like a crossover . . . but also something somewhat unique, almost futuristic. The power and handling are said to be undeniable and apparently the car is magnificent to drive. Of course, with any new model it appears there are issues that Jaguar will have to resolve, including a clunky interface and some charging issues.

But in going over a few reviews, the one thing that is consistent is how great it is to drive the car. The acceleration, the cornering (aided by all sorts of technology), the audible experience, etc. - everyone loves to drive it. Even Consumer Reports described the driving experience as "beautiful."

If Jaguar can clean up the issues with the interface, and bring it to the kind of reliability they have on the rest of their line, it will no-doubt put a hurt on Tesla. And the luxury EV market is still just getting going.

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/2019-jaguar-i-pace-first-drive-review/

Wait on the Lucid.

When they make the entire outerskin in solar panels to continuously provide charging, I may buy one. But until then, I’ll stay with my conventional gas engine.

Entirely predictable mindset, and I would expect nothing less from the likes of you .
I'm seeing an emerging trend of solar topped camper trailers. Millennials seem to be interested in being able to go remote and just live. Small camper sales are insane ATM. Good trailer companies are 8 months deep on reservation lists for builds. The freedom to have a tow vehicle recharge as you drive or setup and camp for the day makes it an entire lifestyle.

When they make the entire outerskin in solar panels to continuously provide charging, I may buy one. But until then, I’ll stay with my conventional gas engine.
This is a lack of understanding how much the panels charge and how this will add enough power to maybe drive the radio. Or being a troll. Unsure which.

This is a lack of understanding how much the panels charge and how this will add enough power to maybe drive the radio. Or being a troll. Unsure which.
You're right that the tech isn't there yet. I've read about a few improvements which are great steps in this direction, but so far they only exist in R&D.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom