The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (2 Viewers)

Well, I guess I'll go put a deposit down on a Rivian. Just gotta figure out how I'm going to equip it.

That slide out kitchen looks pretty legit if you are a camper.

Except that is $5000 that can be better spent elsewhere.
I can build one if I want. That cooktop is just a Dometic unit. It cost ~$500.

I feel like this will be only sold in Europe

Pie%CC%88chGT4.jpeg

Says the manufacturers “special charger” can juice the 75kw battery to 80% in five minutes! Sounds like these companies are making big strides in charging time.
Yeah, this would really get a lot more people on board. To be able to charge in the same amount of time required to fill up a tank of gas would be a game changer. I think the biggest roadblock right now is the availability of charging stations for long distance travel.

Yeah, this would really get a lot more people on board. To be able to charge in the same amount of time required to fill up a tank of gas would be a game changer. I think the biggest roadblock right now is the availability of charging stations for long distance travel.
I think that will be remedied in time. At least they are starting the process in places.

It's looking like Rivian is going to highly prioritize the Amazon delivery van over the R1T truck for a while. According to a comment, made by the CEO, it will take them two years to get through their current orders.

I can't wait two years. I can barely wait one year.

I think this would be one of the last few hurdles for those on the fence. I think it could also help introduce cheaper models. Say for example a vehicle with 150-200 mile range but 5 minute charging, in my mind smaller range wouldn't be such a big deal with 5 minute charging. Also with 5 minute charging, I think a lot of people wouldn't bother with the expense of installing a charger at home

supposedly will double the network by 2025

Getting ready to make a 6-ish hour trip in our Model 3 and used Tesla's trip planner to show superchargers along the way and at the destination. Stopping to charge adds about an hour each way, so that isn't bad. All of the supercharger locations are at service centers that have restrooms and food courts.
Just wanted to follow up: the trip went well even with traffic delays near our destination.

The trip was from Massachusetts to Pennsylvania, crossing four other states in the process (RI, CT, NY, NJ). On the way there, we stopped at a supercharger at about the 3/5's mark. The charger was convenient to a place with restrooms and restaurants and allowed us to have a nice break before diving into traffic starting near NYC (we needed to cross the G. Washington Bridge), easing up on the Jersey Turnpike and then ramping up again as we neared our destination in Pennsylvania. We parked with 58% charge left.

On the way home, we stopped at a supercharger near our destination and topped off - about 30 minutes. Since it was a Sunday, traffic was greatly reduced and we were able to make good time. We found that, along the way, several service centers here have or are installing the Tesla superchargers. I never once felt like we would run out of juice before we could find a place to charge up. We stopped briefly (about 25 minutes) in Connecticut to charge and stretch. We arrived home with just under 45% charge.

Just wanted to follow up: the trip went well even with traffic delays near our destination.

The trip was from Massachusetts to Pennsylvania, crossing four other states in the process (RI, CT, NY, NJ). On the way there, we stopped at a supercharger at about the 3/5's mark. The charger was convenient to a place with restrooms and restaurants and allowed us to have a nice break before diving into traffic starting near NYC (we needed to cross the G. Washington Bridge), easing up on the Jersey Turnpike and then ramping up again as we neared our destination in Pennsylvania. We parked with 58% charge left.

On the way home, we stopped at a supercharger near our destination and topped off - about 30 minutes. Since it was a Sunday, traffic was greatly reduced and we were able to make good time. We found that, along the way, several service centers here have or are installing the Tesla superchargers. I never once felt like we would run out of juice before we could find a place to charge up. We stopped briefly (about 25 minutes) in Connecticut to charge and stretch. We arrived home with just under 45% charge.
Yeah, I'd expect the northeast to be ahead of the curve when it comes to charging stations. There are a lot of EVs on the road. Quite a few where I live have Teslas and other brand EVs. The new Wawa down the street has a bunch of charging stations. The Walgeens here usually has a couple of them. The mall has a bunch of them.

So, it's not hard to find them here. That said, I'm not sure what it's like in remote, rural areas of Virginia, but I imagine pretty sparse there.

Yeah, I'd expect the northeast to be ahead of the curve when it comes to charging stations. There are a lot of EVs on the road. Quite a few where I live have Teslas and other brand EVs. The new Wawa down the street has a bunch of charging stations. The Walgeens here usually has a couple of them. The mall has a bunch of them.

So, it's not hard to find them here. That said, I'm not sure what it's like in remote, rural areas of Virginia, but I imagine pretty sparse there.
I suspect rural adoption will be slow. Urban for daily commute seems to be the right choice for now. Imagine if you can shutdown all those idling ICE's on the interstate everyday as the traffic does. Big gain for the environment and much less wasted fuel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom