The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (12 Viewers)

That's pretty interesting. Could be a good way to get people used to driving electric vehicles.

Yeah, and I think even more so than it may seem. You know what it takes to get used to driving an electric vehicle? Driving an EV one time. The driving experience is a total hook.

hertz went bankrupt and liquidated their fleet, or so I recall. Now they come back... and I wonder where they are going to get this $$ to buy all these vehicles.

That's pretty interesting. Could be a good way to get people used to driving electric vehicles.
I have often rented cars matching up with something I was thinking about buying. Usually for a weekend.

Yeah, and I think even more so than it may seem. You know what it takes to get used to driving an electric vehicle? Driving an EV one time. The driving experience is a total hook.
I haven't driven one but fully believe what you are saying is true. My current vehicle runs out of warranty in June and I may be looking to make the leap.

I haven't driven one but fully believe what you are saying is true. My current vehicle runs out of warranty in June and I may be looking to make the leap.
Yeah, I'm in a similar scenario. Our minivan warranty runs out in 2k miles...100k mile warranty. I'm think about trading it in for an suv, mainly because that's what my wife wants, heh. The new Kia and Hyundai suvs are probably what we're going to look at first.

So as of tomorrow, I will be a shareholder in Mullen, an EV manufacturer based in Brea, California . . . with a new production facility in Tunica, Mississippi. I have been a longtime shareholder of Net Element, a payments and blockchain company - and the two are merging tomorrow, with Net Element being acquired and shares changing over to Mullen. :shrug:

They make a crossover (the FIVE), a performance car (the Dragonfly), and a cargo van.

Rivian had their IPO today. They priced it at $78 a share but it opened at $106.75 and shot up to $119.46. I couldn't get in on the IPO offering but I was able to buy 150 shares at $100. At one point, the market cap for Rivian was over $100Billion. It eventually settled down to $86Billion. Which is higher than GM, Ford, and several other auto manufacturers. Ford, BTW, has $10Billion from it's initial investment in Rivian. Amazon is rumored to have bought more Rivian stock after it went public.

People that pre-ordered Rivian vehicles got a shot at buying 175 shares the IPO's $78 price. Those people made out like bandits. Unfortunately, my pre-order was too late to get in on that action.

Article about Ford's investment.

Was just talking with somebody about this... What happens when we have made the shift to all EV for personal cars and people need to evacuate from a hurricane? Can imagine the thousands and thousands of cars stranded on I-75 in Florida because their charge ran out. I see this being a problem in areas along the South East and East Coast.

Was just talking with somebody about this... What happens when we have made the shift to all EV for personal cars and people need to evacuate from a hurricane? Can imagine the thousands and thousands of cars stranded on I-75 in Florida because their charge ran out. I see this being a problem in areas along the South East and East Coast.

Do you see thousands and thousands of people stranded because they ran out of gas?
It'll be a problem for some, but not a massive issue. EVs also have an advantage in their efficiency. Many times you get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on evacuation routes. ICE vehicles usually sit at idle, burning gas, the whole time. EVs don't have to do that. Then there is the fact that battery range continues to greatly increase as the tech gets better. We now have EVs out there with 500miles of range. As we get closer to critical mass, we're going going to see more and more like that.

IMO, the more critical issue, is charging. It needs to get faster and we need more chargers. But on the flip side, how many times have we seen gas stations run out of gas during an evacuation? EV chargers don't have that problem as long as the infrastructure is still working. Usually, before a hurricane, that's still the case.

BTW, many Tesla vehicles are have their range limited by software. Tesla has been known to unlock that extra range in disaster areas or places that are in the path of a hurricane. They've also opened up their Superchargers to make them free.

Obviously that isn't going be the case for all cars though. For instance, we know Ford isn't using software to lock out extra range.

Do you see thousands and thousands of people stranded because they ran out of gas?
It'll be a problem for some, but not a massive issue. EVs also have an advantage in their efficiency. Many times you get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on evacuation routes. ICE vehicles usually sit at idle, burning gas, the whole time. EVs don't have to do that. Then there is the fact that battery range continues to greatly increase as the tech gets better. We now have EVs out there with 500miles of range. As we get closer to critical mass, we're going going to see more and more like that.

IMO, the more critical issue, is charging. It needs to get faster and we need more chargers. But on the flip side, how many times have we seen gas stations run out of gas during an evacuation? EV chargers don't have that problem as long as the infrastructure is still working. Usually, before a hurricane, that's still the case.

BTW, many Tesla vehicles are have their range limited by software. Tesla has been known to unlock that extra range in disaster areas or places that are in the path of a hurricane. They've also opened up their Superchargers to make them free.

Obviously that isn't going be the case for all cars though. For instance, we know Ford isn't using software to lock out extra range.

We don't know because it hasn't happened yet. I think this is just a we will see when it happens scenario. Will we have the infrastructure in place to charge thousands of EVs when the time comes to evacuate? We there be enough charging terminals along the evacuation routes so people can charge along the way? How long does a charge take? These are all real questions that need to be addressed and answered or you will have a pretty terrible situation.

We don't know because it hasn't happened yet. I think this is just a we will see when it happens scenario. Will we have the infrastructure in place to charge thousands of EVs when the time comes to evacuate? We there be enough charging terminals along the evacuation routes so people can charge along the way? How long does a charge take? These are all real questions that need to be addressed and answered or you will have a pretty terrible situation.

Agree with much of that. But we did just pass $7billion to get a lot more charging stations built and upgrade the electrical grid. Right now, with DC fast charging, you're looking at 80% charging in ~30 minutes. That time is just going to keep going down. Tesla's new 4680 batteries are meant to be fully charged in 10 minutes, but that is going to depend on more powerful chargers. Right now, Tesla has shown that the 4680 can charge to 80% max in just 15 minutes on existing superchargers.

Superchargers can get you to 80% within 20-40 min.

People get stranded because they run out of gas because they sit in traffic, yet the motor/engine has to run.

According to this, a full 77kwh battery can last up to 50 hours before fully drained ( if sitting still in traffic but using AC, radio/stream etc )

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom