The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Externally it looks almost identical to Toyota's upcoming bZ4X EV

I guess these will be the first vehicles that came from the Toyota/ Subaru collaboration

Subaru released additional info on the Solterra

has a 71.4 kWh lithium battery that estimates will provide 220 miles of range on a single charge.

Mid next year I will probably replace my main vehicle. It is an awesome, mostly do everything Grand Cherokee. I love it. Kid hauler, tow my boat and other light duty trailers, take off from NC to MS to visit my dad on a whim. It has many creature comforts and technology. I get 22 combined MPG. But, I really WANT to join the EV group but can't really replace what I have. It would be a niche vehicle, mostly for commuting around and back and forth to the office. I could take it on a longer trip with some planning. But, for me, it would be mostly a cool toy...although a super nice toy. I also have an F250 and another Chevy 2500 for really heavy lifting duties so I could make the switch I guess. Not sure what I will do.

The Grand Cherokee is being released with a hybrid drive train this year.
I will check it out. I feel Tesla is far and away the better choice for EV adoption now but I could be wrong. For all that I love about my GC - I am on a first name basis with my customer service rep in the dealership. :)

Update on the Model 3 - confirmed Dec. 1 delivery date. My electrical upgrade doesn't happen until Dec. 29, so I'll need to trickle charge until then I guess.

Also, guys, keep in mind that the BBB bill, if it passes, will bring back Federal EV tax credits for Teslas (but not retroactively so I'm screwed), so if that's an incentive for you to go Tesla now might be a good time to order. You don't "buy" the vehicle until delivery (which hopefully would take place after EV tax credits go into effect), but by ordering you lock in the price, which Tesla raises frequently with no notice whatsoever.

Mid next year I will probably replace my main vehicle. It is an awesome, mostly do everything Grand Cherokee. I love it. Kid hauler, tow my boat and other light duty trailers, take off from NC to MS to visit my dad on a whim. It has many creature comforts and technology. I get 22 combined MPG. But, I really WANT to join the EV group but can't really replace what I have. It would be a niche vehicle, mostly for commuting around and back and forth to the office. I could take it on a longer trip with some planning. But, for me, it would be mostly a cool toy...although a super nice toy. I also have an F250 and another Chevy 2500 for really heavy lifting duties so I could make the switch I guess. Not sure what I will do.

I will check it out. I feel Tesla is far and away the better choice for EV adoption now but I could be wrong. For all that I love about my GC - I am on a first name basis with my customer service rep in the dealership. :)
From a size perspective, you'd be looking at the Model X, which is very expensive. The Model Y is a lot cheaper but Tesla has raise prices on it by $10K over the last couple months. I think Tesla is hoping they will qualify for tax credits in the new bill. Right now, no Tesla qualifies for the credit.

The Grand Cherokee is a plug in hybrid. So it qualifies for the current tax credit. I'm just not sure how much it qualifies for. The only other option is the Rivian R1S, but it's only starting deliveries in January. Any new orders will likely not be delivered until 2023. BTW, there is also a long wait for the Model Y and Model S.

From a size perspective, you'd be looking at the Model X, which is very expensive. The Model Y is a lot cheaper but Tesla has raise prices on it by $10K over the last couple months. I think Tesla is hoping they will qualify for tax credits in the new bill. Right now, no Tesla qualifies for the credit.
I think Tesla has been raising prices in the past year because of the demand for their vehicles being so high. If Model Y's and Model 3's become available for tax credits, I think demand for those vehicles is going to go through the roof, and expect further price hikes.

Update on the Model 3 - confirmed Dec. 1 delivery date. My electrical upgrade doesn't happen until Dec. 29, so I'll need to trickle charge until then I guess.

Also, guys, keep in mind that the BBB bill, if it passes, will bring back Federal EV tax credits for Teslas (but not retroactively so I'm screwed), so if that's an incentive for you to go Tesla now might be a good time to order. You don't "buy" the vehicle until delivery (which hopefully would take place after EV tax credits go into effect), but by ordering you lock in the price, which Tesla raises frequently with no notice whatsoever.

You can also find your nearest level 3 charger plan a meal nearby.

Doug DeMuro reviews the Rivian R1T

And he gives a preview to the F150 Lightning

I'm almost three years into my I-Pace. I think that this Top Gear review below (for the 2021 model, which is basically the same as the 2019 HSE that I own, except for the 3-phase charging) nails it: the car is an outstanding design, really well made, and comes with some very appealing features. Above all, it is a blast to drive - only the true performance/sport EVs provide greater acceleration and handling . . . but the I-Pace has practical elements that those cars lack.

The car doesn't really fit into any category - though it has many attributes of a sport SUV (and is called an SUV in many descriptions), it just isn't an SUV. Though its ride height can, at low speed, be raised to the height of a Land Rover Defender - great for things like driving in flood water or low-difficulty off-road scenarios - the overall stature of the car and sloping roofline feel more like a GT, and the handling characteristics even more so. The interior space, however, is substantial, and bigger than some of the small SUVs . . . adults can ride comfortably in the back seat. The overall finishes are premium, and the car continues to feel like what it is: a high-quality European auto.

The primary "complaints" about the I-Pace are its laggy infotainment system (you get used to it) and mushy feel in the brake pedal - which you also get used to and the brakes perform quite well despite it. The overall styling isn't for everyone, though many love it and I have grown to like it more than I did at first. And the car's range (between 200 and 275 miles depending on model year and driving conditions) isn't top shelf.

For me, it's a local driver car - so range is a total non-issue. My wife and kids are very comfortable in it and the trunk is big enough (with folding rear seats) for most applications. I like having the greater size and height than the Tesla S and 3, or the Taycan line, and this is mainly because you still have outstanding performance. The car will race to 60 in 4.5 seconds whenever you want it - the battery power is always instant, always thrilling and ever-so-quiet. With the suspension’s tuning and use of the low center-of-gravity from the batteries, the handling is very well done. It is a subtly badass driving car. Almost three years in, and at the moment, I have no interest in getting something else.

Last edited:
Fisker announced that their base level suv (Ocean Sport) will come in at $37,500 before tax incentives. Said to have a 250 mile range. Also there is mention of a solar panel roof, my guess is that will be on higher t rim, or optional

The automaker said it will develop 23 electrified vehicles in total over the next eight years, with 20 of those coming in the next five years alone. It's shooting for a market mix of 75 percent electrified (EV and e-Power PHEV/hybrids) in Europe, 55 percent in Japan and 40 percent in the US and China by 2030.

Nissan will launch EVs with all-solid-state batteries (ASSB) by 2028 and ready a pilot plant in Yokohama as early as 2024, it said. That technology promises benefits like reduced charging times, but has yet to arrive to market as expected. The company also wants to bring the cost of battery packs down to $75 per kWh by 2028 with a reduction to $65 kWh further down the road. That would be about half of what EV batteries cost last year, according to Bloomberg. By 2030, Nissan hopes to be producing 130 GWh of batteries.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom