The Falcons hold the pivotal pick (1 Viewer)

Archie_4_HOF

Northshore Who Dat
Reaction score
The #3 selection by the Falcons will affect the Saints in many ways.

- If the Falcons select a DT it minimizes the chances of us getting Dorsey or Ellis
- If the Falcons select Matt Ryan, the chances that Dorsey or Ellis slide to #10 increases greatly.
- If Matt Ryan is the selection, the Falcons will be set back another 5 years.

Personally, I feel that their is not a franchise QB available in the draft. With that said, I would love to see the Falcons selct Matt Ryan for the reasons stated above. If they go in another direction i think it is a sign that the Falcons will begin to recover in the coming years and it shows that their decision makers are moving in the right direction.

Purely my opinions ---- Any thoughts???

The #3 selection by the Falcons will affect the Saints in many ways.

- If the Falcons select a DT it minimizes the chances of us getting Dorsey or Ellis
- If the Falcons select Matt Ryan, the chances that Dorsey or Ellis slide to #10 increases greatly.
- If Matt Ryan is the selection, the Falcons will be set back another 5 years.

Personally, I feel that their is not a franchise QB available in the draft. With that said, I would love to see the Falcons selct Matt Ryan for the reasons stated above. If they go in another direction i think it is a sign that the Falcons will begin to recover in the coming years and it shows that their decision makers are moving in the right direction.

Purely my opinions ---- Any thoughts???

I agree with the exception being I think Ryan will be good. I watched him play a few times last year and he has all the tools so I am hoping that is the way they go.

Even if Dorsey or Ellis isn't picked by #3, neither shall make it to # 10

I think another possible pick for Atlanta is Jake Long, but let's hope that they take Matt Ryan, then it could go like this:

1) Chris Long
2) Gholston
3) Matt Ryan
4) McFadden
5) Jake Long
6) Leodis McKelvin
7) Cromartie
8) Ryan Clady
9) Dorsey
10) Ellis

let's just hope Atlanta doesn't get QB Josh Johnson in the 3rd or 4th, I have a feeling that he will be really good.

I do agree that the Falcons hold the key pick, but I also think that wherever Dorsey is taken (and YES....I do think he'll go before Ellis), that you more than likely see teams start to try and trade up to grab Ellis. There is a significant drop off for DT after those two and this could cause the price to move up increase dramatically.

What really worries me is that the Falcons have 3 second round picks. There is a ton of talent to be had in the second and that just scares the heck out of me. I still look for them to snag Dorsey with their first round pick, try to pick up Flacco with one of their seconds, a CB with another second and then either use the last second round pick to snag a LB or trade out and pick up two thirds and get a TE, WR, and Olineman. That is just way too freaky for me. With a draft like that, they could suck for this coming year, but with the right coaching staff....they would be young and could be VERY good for quite a few years.

No matter what....we have to make sure our top 3 rounds produce folks that can not only get playing time (anti-Meachem theory) but push for starting positions!!!

Even if Dorsey or Ellis isn't picked by #3, neither shall make it to # 10

Who are you thinking will go after them?

The Bengals are one but if there's a DE there than I think they pick DE....but that's a big IF there's a DE there even with dorsey or Ellis.

As far as QB's go, I see this draft very similar to the David Carr/Joey Harrington draft. Both of these guys were supposed to be studs and they are almost out of the league after 5 or 6years.
I would love to see the Falcons draft Matt Ryan.

I do agree that the Falcons hold the key pick, but I also think that wherever Dorsey is taken (and YES....I do think he'll go before Ellis), that you more than likely see teams start to try and trade up to grab Ellis. There is a significant drop off for DT after those two and this could cause the price to move up increase dramatically.

What really worries me is that the Falcons have 3 second round picks. There is a ton of talent to be had in the second and that just scares the heck out of me. I still look for them to snag Dorsey with their first round pick, try to pick up Flacco with one of their seconds, a CB with another second and then either use the last second round pick to snag a LB or trade out and pick up two thirds and get a TE, WR, and Olineman. That is just way too freaky for me. With a draft like that, they could suck for this coming year, but with the right coaching staff....they would be young and could be VERY good for quite a few years.

No matter what....we have to make sure our top 3 rounds produce folks that can not only get playing time (anti-Meachem theory) but push for starting positions!!!

I agree with you on the second round picks. That is scary but if they have no QB, they have no future. I hope that they pick Ryan and he is a bust. They will be committed to him for at least three seasons which will hopefully be bad ones. By then, these other selections will be restricted free agents or out right free agents.

I agree for the most part, i think that there might be a good QB or two in this draft but i don't really think it will be Matt Ryan, but keep in mind alot of times good college QB's go to really bad teams with no O-line ALA David Carr and it just ruins them.... Some Qb's get lucky and go to great teams and are given time to develop, ALA Tom Brady... I think that maybe a Joe Flacco could be a Franchise Qb in years to come if he goes to a Higher Caliber team in the mid rounds..... But i hope and pray that the Dirty birds choose Matt Ryan, cause he isn't the answer for that team, but it is unlikely, he is not THAT MUCH better than any of the other QB's in the draft and i think the falcons will select Dorsey and then use one of the 2 or 3 (depending) 2nd round picks on a QB.....

But the draft is a crap-shoot so who really knows..... I for one can't wait til April, cause ur right the Falcons hold the key!!

I think that their pick will be one of three guys. Either Matt Ryan, Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey. All 3 are a huge need for them.

I expect Ryan to have a killer pro day and I think that will convince them to go with him. Say what you will, but at the end of the day everyone feels they have to have "the guy" at QB if you want a ring.

6 weeks out, but I think the pick will be Dorsey. I think they'd take him over Matt Ryan.

The most important thing which might influence the saints pick is the destination of Matt Ryan. If for some reason he slides to #8 we might have a great chance picking up Ellis. I think Dorsey will be gone to the Crows with the 3rd pick. So the first 10 picks might look like this;

1) C Long
2) J long
3) G Dorsey
4) McFadden
5) R Clady
6) Gholston
7) TRADE......Saints S Ellis......if this trade is not happening the Saints will trade with the Ravens, who won't be affected picking M Ryan at #10
8) M Ryan
9) Rivers
10) Cromartie

Both the Dolphins and the Falcons picks will decide whether or not we'll have a chance at the DTs. If Miami takes Ryan, we're in trouble.

This is what I'm hoping for:
Long - Miami desperate wants out of #1 but there will be no takers here so they take the guy who best fit into their system. Other pick could be Ghloston.
Long - This pick depends on who the Dolphins pick. Chris long and Ghloston could be another option.
Ryan - Falcons are trying to clean up their image and rebuild.. They'll do that with a franchise QB.
Mcfadden - With the possible acquisition of Hall, Al Davis can't say no to Mcfadden. Another option would be to trade with Dallas or take Dorsey.
Claddy - KC will take the best OT no matter who it is. They are that desperate.
Ghloston - The Jets want Mcfadden in the worst way. But if he's not there, they take the best player available and that Could be Ghloston. Other picks could be Mcfadden or Mendenhall.
Jenkins - The patriots don't usually like to take a CB but they are trying to win the big game and win soon so they take the most NFL ready corner and ride the pine with him. They could also take a Ghloston if he's there or Rivers.
Mckelvin - Baltimore secondary is getting old and they are not deep either so they will be looking to groom a corner. They would love to have Ryan but that doesn't seem like it's possible at this point.
Ellis - The Bengals have Ellis rated higher than Dorsey because he can apply more pressure up the middle. They rather take a DE but Ellis is too good of the prospect to pass.
Dorsey - After several attempts to trade up ahead of cinci to no avail, they strike gold when they find out that 1 of the 2 DTs will fall to 10 and are pleasantly surprised that Dorsey was the one that falls.

Ah.. pipedreams...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom