The falcons "Paytoned" the saints yesterday (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, the falcons system looked like Payton's system of yesteryear. The game plan was to make the defence wide with attacking with passes to the running backs and tight ends, waiting patiently for the receivers to have their turn.

This also gave Ryan extra time, not that we were able to press, but our ends were constantly distracted, making them to think, not to react.

We have some kind of antidote, and we kept him on the sideline. Erik Harris made his career at the CFL playing WILL, and at the CFL his job is to keep containment on big outside spaces, playing zone defence. I don't know if would have solved the problem, but at least we should have tried. There is no point of bringing role players if we are not going to used him accordingly.

And on the offensive side, watching the game made me again think how much we miss the "lightning" part of our run game. The Reggie Bush/Darren Sproles is key to Payton's system. Without it, Mark Ingram is just a runner, and Willie Snead (and Mike Thomas yesterday) have to take this role.

Much to talk about special teams, this unit cost us the first two games and changed the momentum yesterday. There is no way to justify Coach McMahon's work anymore.

This is a season of bad karma, every that is bad is happening to us, I just hope that when our luck turns, we have a good team to take advantage out of it.

Yeah...the announcers were amazed at how much Ryan was spreading the ball around to different receivers. I was thinking to myself, Hasn't Brees been doing this for the past 10 years?

Lewis should be assigned to the HB/WR role more, especially on 3rd downs. That guy's speed and shiftiness is similar to Darren Sproles, imho. Force a LB to have to cover him and create a clear mismatch

Lewis should be assigned to the HB/WR role more, especially on 3rd downs. That guy's speed and shiftiness is similar to Darren Sproles, imho. Force a LB to have to cover him and create a clear mismatch

The offence indeed can get better but that is not the problem.

I am kind of optimistic on the defensive side. Not for this year certainly, but at least it seems that they are trying to build if from the middle and out, the way it should be.

But I can't find a justification of the performance of our special teams. And on this one I think Sean Payton is clearly responsible, he has had many opportunities to make a change and decide to keep the very mediocre status quo.

Much to talk about special teams, this unit cost us the first two games and changed the momentum yesterday. There is no way to justify Coach McMahon's work anymore.
It's not a little thing.

It's more than than 5 years now that refusal to upgrade over McMahon indicates that Payton isn't completely serious about making the team everything it can be.

It's more important for him to make a point I guess, or he truly doesn't care about, understand or value the edge you should be getting with special teams.

We even tried to run the same play that the Falcons used to score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The offence indeed can get better but that is not the problem.

I am kind of optimistic on the defensive side. Not for this year certainly, but at least it seems that they are trying to build if from the middle and out, the way it should be.

But I can't find a justification of the performance of our special teams. And on this one I think Sean Payton is clearly responsible, he has had many opportunities to make a change and decide to keep the very mediocre status quo.
We have major problems across the board, that runs deep. I was only commenting on one of your takes. SP, being an offensive genius, should look to do something like I stated, though I'm no coach, instead of giving Cadet (who did ok) a decisive role in our offense. Cadet can get some yards, but I think Lewis, in that role, would give us a playmaking option.

There is no way to justify Coach McMahon's work anymore.

He has been mediocre for years, yet nepotism keeps him here. That has to be the reason, b/c nobody can tell me that in allll these years there was not a single special teams coach out there that would have been an upgrade over him.

It's not a little thing.

It's more than than 5 years now that refusal to upgrade over McMahon indicates that Payton isn't completely serious about making the team everything it can be.

It's more important for him to make a point I guess, or he truly doesn't care about, understand or value the edge you should be getting with special teams.

Teams have identified the Saints Special Teams as an area of particular weakness and started exploiting them. The Giants FG block was a game changer. The Falcons went for a punt block but it was the Benny Hill routine of two STers running into each other that changed the entire tone of the game. This team has a very fragile psyche and they basically shut down after that.

Two weeks in a row it was the ST that changed the game in a very negative way. We've been complaining about McMahon for years but it's fallen on deaf ears. Maybe now Payton will finally get rid of his incompetent buddy......

We have major problems across the board, that runs deep. I was only commenting on one of your takes. SP, being an offensive genius, should look to do something like I stated, though I'm no coach, instead of giving Cadet (who did ok) a decisive role in our offense. Cadet can get some yards, but I think Lewis, in that role, would give us a playmaking option.

Sorry Flash on the way I came back. You are absolutely right.

Man of all the bad stuff, Lewis looks like he is going to be an amazing player... get him on the field more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom