The Finals - 2023 edition (1 Viewer)

CoolBrees

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
So if this isn’t the first thread I have started in 16 years, it certainly one of the first but I figured what the hell.

I have mentioned in the NBA season thread I am a lifelong fan and former Nuggets season ticket holder. I never in a million years thought they would be in the Finals.

Anyway, this thread can be used for in game (I won’t participate as am anticipating going into a Gollum like state and just living in the dark off raw fish for three weeks) or whatever.

I will be posting just randomness here because our fans suck (at least on line) and the Homer board I have been a member of for longer than here is nothing but like 10 15 year old Jokic Stans from Serbia and three fans. The big thread right now is who we should replace Mike Malone with and why we should trade Murray for Luka. Yeah.

I am not going to make a prediction other than I feel like Denver has the better team, homecourt advantage and the best player on the planet. But Miami has faced similar odds in every series they have played so I am not counting them out.

To a memorable and injury free Finals that end with a parade down Larimer

In. As a Denver transplant, I've been a Nuggets fan for a while and it's nice to finally make it past the WCF. I like the Heat and would be rooting for them against any other opponent. I suspect Denver will have their hands full and expect few if any blowouts, but the Nuggets have shown just as much poise as the Heat have in close games. So, I predict Denver in 6.

There's still basketball? Ok, that kinda explains the presence of all these Nugget jerseys here in SW Co.

I've already hung up my Pels jerseys. That behavior by the long time locals here is just rude.

sulk.jpeg

So I just got a call from my big brother.

He got me and my old man tickets to Game 2 and me a plane ticket so I couldn’t say no.

I haven’t been back to the Can since Melo was a Nugget - and it was the Pepsi Center not Ball Arena.

I will post a couple of pregame before I try not to have a nervous breakdown in front of 19,000 people.

So I just got a call from my big brother.

He got me and my old man tickets to Game 2 and me a plane ticket so I couldn’t say no.

I haven’t been back to the Can since Melo was a Nugget - and it was the Pepsi Center not Ball Arena.

I will post a couple of pregame before I try not to have a nervous breakdown in front of 19,000 people.
That's awesome! Have a blast!

Yeah I am going to pay (physically) for it but I don’t care.

I fly from Portland to Denver on Sunday, go to the game, fly back to Portland at 6am on Monday and then fly to Minneapolis for a meeting at 10am, so I won’t even leave the airport.

But I can’t even really think about that…..

I am sitting at my desk and I haven’t even turned my computer on. I have done anything for weeks. I’m a wreck.

Game 1 is finally here and frankly I liked the Saints position in 09 (my only chip I have witnessed as a fan on any level). All the morons on tv were already writing Peyton’s enshrinement stories, and never really looked at the teams. Gave them the “nobody believes in us” energy (why I am I explaining this to you all?)

Anyway, I hate being the overwhelming favorite. Absolutely hate it. But only good news is, if Miami wins tonight (which I actually think has a good chance of happening), I think it will be the thing that serves Denver better than a blowout win tin their favor (not really, but hear me out). Best thing is a come from down win late in the 4th.

Hemi Buckets is going to have to be his version of Superman as is both Adebayo and most likely Caleb Martin.

They don’t understand altitude.

You expend that much energy tonight, you will not recover by Sunday, unless you are a freak like Isiah Thomas (4 ots and 53 game log minutes and said he didn’t notice a thing). Hypoxia is a weird feeling. And it is real. Denver plays it up too. There is a PA announcement at the beginning of team player announcements that starts at ITB “Attention- the following is a safety announcement… and it is all dramatic and they go into the very real symptoms of hypoxia and what problems they can cause (up to hospitalization) - especially if exerting energy in highly physical activities. You can find it on YT if you wanna hear it.

Anyway tl;dr - altitude sucks if you aren’t used to it and the longer series go the greater the affect

But I can’t even really think about that…..

I am sitting at my desk and I haven’t even turned my computer on. I have done anything for weeks. I’m a wreck.

oh the memories circa 2009 from about week 8 thru Feb 2010

if you called me early in week, wasnt working your @$#$ til mid/late week. And IN BETWEEN SR.COM posts

;)

Enjoy!!!!!

Two pregame fun facts about Denver -

If Jamal Murray shoots 40% or better they are undefeated in the playoffs.

Jokic is averaging a triple double. Only players tondo that for an entire playoffs-

Wilt in ‘67
Magic in ‘82

That’s the list

Game 1 went as about as I had hoped, except for the fact Denver only shot 29% from 3. That better change as Miami is going to shoot better for sure.

But there are some things that I don’t think Miami can fix. Like how undersized they are. And Jokic might be one of the Monstars.

Game 1 went as about as I had hoped, except for the fact Denver only shot 29% from 3. That better change as Miami is going to shoot better for sure.

But there are some things that I don’t think Miami can fix. Like how undersized they are. And Jokic might be one of the Monstars.
Miami shot bad from 3 too(especially Strus) and there were a bunch of clean shots. So I expect Miami will dial in as the series goes on, but so will Denver's shooters (MPJ and KCP).

Two pregame fun facts about Denver -

If Jamal Murray shoots 40% or better they are undefeated in the playoffs.

Jokic is averaging a triple double. Only players tondo that for an entire playoffs-

Wilt in ‘67
Magic in ‘82

That’s the list

That list is shorter than that. Wilt and Magic actually didn't do it for the entire playoffs.

Wilt went 21.7 points 29.1 rebounds (!!!!) and 9 assists a game for 15 games in 67'
Magic went 17.4 points, 11.3 rebounds and 9.3 assists (along with 2.9 steals) in 14 games in 82'

Sweet baby Jeebus average 29 rebounds?!?

Somebody needs to box out! He wasn’t that much bigger what the hell!

Man I really hope Zion can get in shape and be healthy for you all.

I really believe he might be the only answer in the L to Jokic. He can match him in every way (except passing) and can bang with him on the block.

Sweet baby Jeebus average 29 rebounds?!?

Somebody needs to box out! He wasn’t that much bigger what the hell!

:lol:

The game was a lot different then. A lot more opportunities for rebounds. In 1967 teams averaged 103.1 shots a game and made 45.5. So on average you had 115 misses a game. This past season teams averaged 88.3 shots and made 42. Only 92 misses a game. That's 23 extra chances at grabbing a board every game. And that's not even getting to free throws.

Teams averaged 37 FTA and made 27 so you'd have about 20 more misses (i know not all of those are rebounds opportunities). This past season that number was 23.5 and 18.4 so about 10.2 misses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom