The Genius Involved In The Colston TD From Brees (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
I just rewatched the game highlights and I wanted to discuss the absolute genius of this particular TD throw.

First, the play-action fake to Reggie Bush. Say what you want but when Brees play-actioned the ball to Bush and Bush began in run as if he had the ball in earnest, 4 defenders keyed on him. Which brings me to this.

Colston engaged the DB in a block as if it was a running play and the DB began to try to shed the block and play the run which allowed Colston to stroll into the endzone WIDE OPEN for one of the easiest TD's that he will ever have in his career.

Finally, Brees acted the part as if it was indeed a run with a very believable play action fake to Bush but the throw was perfect to Colston.

Vaunted Giants DE Osi said that the Saints ran when we guessed pass and passed when we guessed run, keeping them off-balance ALL DAY.

This is a tribute to Coach Payton and All of the players on Offense and to the fact that the running game was gashing the Giants to death so they HAD to honor the run.

BTW, the TD pass to Lance Moore was IDENTICAL to everything described above.

AWESOME or should I say ALLSOME!!!!

You are absolutely right. That was an incredible play action. Everyone sold it so well. Someone should post a video of the play.

I just rewatched the game highlights and I wanted to discuss the absolute genius of this particular TD throw.

First, the play-action fake to Reggie Bush. Say what you want but when Brees play-actioned the ball to Bush and Bush began in run as if he had the ball in earnest, 4 defenders keyed on him. Which brings me to this.

Colston engaged the DB in a block as if it was a running play and the DB began to try to shed the block and play the run which allowed Colston to stroll into the endzone WIDE OPEN for one of the easiest TD's that he will ever have in his career.

Finally, Brees acted the part as if it was indeed a run with a very believable play action fake to Bush but the throw was perfect to Colston.

Vaunted Giants DE Osi said that the Saints ran when we guessed pass and passed when we guessed run, keeping them off-balance ALL DAY.

This is a tribute to Coach Payton and All of the players on Offense and to the fact that the running game was gashing the Giants to death so they HAD to honor the run.

BTW, the TD pass to Lance Moore was IDENTICAL to everything described above.

AWESOME or should I say ALLSOME!!!!

Definitely. A thing of beauty - and you're right, the Lance TD was the same play.

Having a dangerous running attack that hits hard and fast (with 3 different backs) sets this play-action up, and Drew and everybody executed perfectly. The Giants had no choice but to bite on it.

Bush was wide open on 2 or 3 plays that I saw..he could have easily had 100+ yards receiving yesterday if Colston and the others were covered. We are so stacked at skill positions it is ridiculous! lol

My favorite part of our play action passes for touchdowns was when Jahari Evans pulls and the mlb take two steps that direction every time.

HA HA .. "do it again, do it again" :9:
TOUCHDOWN !!

Somebody has to have a talk with Colston though.. he caught that ball.. and after holding it for maybe a second, he simply dropped the ball to the ground.. I'm afraid he's going to do that one day, and they call it incomplete :covri:

:gosaints:

I though the same thing when they ran that play. That it was a great play-action fake. The whole day we were using it to confuse the Giants and that wasn't the only time it worked for a good gain.

My wife and I rolled that one back about 5 or 6 times just to watch the defender bite.
Nice.

I rewound that play 5 or six times. It truly was a thing of beauty. My favorite part was how Reggie danced with the "ball" just like he usually does. Sold everyone!

I would add one thing - Before the play started, Reggie was lined up to Brees' right behind the tackle. Brees appeared to call an audible and had Reggie line up directly behind him, and then ran the play. I have to wonder if the "audible" was really an audible, or if the whole thing was scripted to make it look like they were changing from a pass to a run play, only to switch it up and run the perfect play action.

I would add one thing - Before the play started, Reggie was lined up to Brees' right behind the tackle. Brees appeared to call an audible and had Reggie line up directly behind him, and then ran the play. I have to wonder if the "audible" was really an audible, or if the whole thing was scripted to make it look like they were changing from a pass to a run play, only to switch it up and run the perfect play action.

EXCELLENT Point!! I forgot to mention this.^

I thought that this move by Brees/Bush was purposeful deception and led DIRECTLY to them biting on the play-action fake. It was awesome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom