The Giants laid the blueprint... (1 Viewer)

Bespoke

Time for change
Reaction score
for how a Championship Defense should be built...

from the trenches up...with the critical goal to be to apply MAJOR pressure with multiple disguised looks, and clever blitz packages.

name just a few people from the Giants secondary? Corey Webster, Gibril Wilson, James Butler, Kevin Dockery? not exactly the All-Pro caliber Cover DB's you think of... but how did the severely limit the highest scoring Offense in NFL history to 14 pts in the Super Bowl? Through constant harrasment of the opposing QBs. with a ferocious pass rush...Brady was on his butt the whole game almost.

that's why I think although we have big needs in the Secondary that need to be addressed, the focus needs to be on developing a better Pressure aspect of our Defense, starting with the Front 7. We need a Steve Spagnuolo like influence.

Last edited:
It goes back much much further than the Giants SB.
They were not the first, and they certainly will not be the last.

Great defense are always built that way.
Ever since I could remember.
Anyone who plays defense on a football team should know this.

This CB craze this board has been getting a lot lately, has got us sidetrack a bit on what really matters.

That blueprint was laid decades ago...

It's ALWAYS been about the trenches. We need some major pressure from the front 4 on the D-line and then most of our secondary woes will become a distant memory.

That blueprint was laid decades ago...

Giants followed it, but I think the Bears laid the blueprint.

It was the first one that I remember, anyone go back further? Did the Steelers do it in the 70's. I was too young to understand these defensive packages even though i watched the games.

name just a few people from the Giants secondary? Corey Webster, Gibril Wilson, James Butler, Kevin Dockery? not exactly the All-Pro caliber Cover DB's you think of...

Actually, Webster had one of the best post-seasons I have seen from a corner in quite a long time, and others noticed as well. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him as a "no-name."

for how a Championship Defense should be built...

from the trenches up...with the critical goal to be to apply MAJOR pressure with multiple disguised looks, and clever blitz packages.

name just a few people from the Giants secondary? Corey Webster, Gibril Wilson, James Butler, Kevin Dockery? not exactly the All-Pro caliber Cover DB's you think of... but how did the severely limit the highest scoring Offense in NFL history to 14 pts in the Super Bowl? Through constant harrasment of the opposing QBs. with a ferocious pass rush...Brady was on his butt the whole game almost.

that's why I think although we have big needs in the Secondary that need to be addressed, the focus needs to be on developing a better Pressure aspect of our Defense, starting with the Front 7. We need a Steve Spagnuolo like influence.

Giants didnt lay the blueprint...they followed the blueprint on how to win a Championship, same as the Ravens, Bears (85) or any other super bowl winner that came in with a defense ranked higher than there offense...cant win championships with offense.

I've always believed and will say it again...your best defense is a great pass rush...it all starts up front....:9:

The Giants laying the blue-print was a bad choice of words, however they did strongly re-emphasize the key points in playing highly effective Defense. They're model of relentless pressure from the Front 7, is one I think we should strive to follow.

Actually, Webster had one of the best post-seasons I have seen from a corner in quite a long time, and others noticed as well. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him as a "no-name."
I agree Webster had great performances through out the playoffs, but prior to the last stretch of this season everyone was declaring him a bust.... He may have developed into a solid Cover guy but no one's going to say he's in the realm of a Champ Bailey, Chris McAlister, or Rashean Mathis, and it certainly helps him that he has a tremendous pass rush that disrupts many QB's timing, and gives them the bare minimum time to get the ball out.

the Giants probably have pretty solid DB's actually... but the point I was trying to make was that if you have an amazing pass rush you can plug in any competent Defensive back and make their jobs A LOT easier.

Even though our DBs played pretty horrible at times this year.... how long did we expect them to cover for? Many times opposing QBs would just drop back, and be able to stand there for 8...10..seconds, move around and find their guy. and none of our Pass rushers would be anywhere close to touching him.

this reminds me of 2000, when after the Ravens won the super bowl with in my opinion the greatest defense of all time, everyteam went out and had to get 2 330+ pound DT..because of Goose and Adams...we signed Grady and Hand...

people just "fad" up on whatever worked...the Giants blitzed alot, so now you need tons of Pass rushers....its the same every year..its a copy cat league

notice the giants Cb's arent that good. if you can blitz it doesnt matter who you got back there. if you cant blitz it doesnt matter who you got back there. the point is the shanle and simoneau need to go and get a stud DT and we are in the superbowl.

this reminds me of 2000, when after the Ravens won the super bowl with in my opinion the greatest defense of all time, everyteam went out and had to get 2 330+ pound DT..because of Goose and Adams...we signed Grady and Hand...

people just "fad" up on whatever worked...the Giants blitzed alot, so now you need tons of Pass rushers....its the same every year..its a copy cat league

I wouldn't mind us copying the Giants D though....they got it from the Eagles.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom