Article The Girod Street End Zone take on the penalty disparity (1 Viewer)

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
While there have been some attempts, things get too easily explained away.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers" -- Thomas Pynchon

It's a lot worse than you think. The few who have tried to look into it, like Jeff Asher and that well-meaning guy from Yahoo, were looking at the wrong things. Historical data is useful and necessary to make a control group of sorts, but you truly have to focus on this season, and in the details, because the world changed after the NFCCG. Too much material, so we had to break it into two parts.

Now, here are the ones on the defense that can make or break your defense, and you’re largely in the hands of the referees’ mood that day. Bear in mind, each of these is also an automatic first down, again through 12 games:

Defensive pass interference

Called on the SaintsLeague averageCalled on the opponents
9 for 122 yards (2nd)6.62 for 11 yards (30th)
Defensive holding

9 for 45 yards (2nd)5.81 for 5 yards (T-31st)
Illegal use of hands

8 for 39 yards (1st)2.40 for **** all (T-31st)

I would be interested to know per game the penalties the saints are being called for what percentage are legit, ticky tack, or just plain bull? Is our opponent playing a clean game on those same penalties or are they just overlooked?

Last edited:
Wow, just freakin wow. Great journalism Girod Street Endzone. I feel so helpless, so I can't imagine how SP feels. Reading this makes me want to forward these articles to someone, but I just don't know who to send them to. My senator? My pastor? President Trump? William Barr? Oprah? For the love of legit football, please God do something!!

I would be interested to know per game the penalties the saints are being called for what percentage are legit, ticky tack, or just plain bull. Is our opponent playing a clean game on those same penalties or are they just overlooked?

That's something that may be difficult to pin point but if you look at league averages per team for major penalties the Saints are well above the league YTD (year to date) average in every category which tells me that the Saints are NOT or very seldom getting the benefit of the doubt.

One thing I've noticed is that since the reversal of the PI non call that was reversed two weeks ago by a Panthers challenge I have seen three other much more blatant calls challenged in other games that were not overturned.

The rest of the league and the fans of other teams can laugh and say conspiracy theory all they want but the flack that the league has gotten from the non call against the Saints in the NFCCG last year hurt the Saints and it is continuing to hurt them.

The refs have taken note that the Saints are the #1 seed now. The 49ers game may be next to impossible to win this Sunday. That article was depressing.

Depressing? Try 26 years of marr-.....never mind.

Links between the articles now fixed, BTW.

There was also more data, but I was already up at 2:45 AM on a school night and just didn't have the gas for a Part 3....a couple of tidbits:

We've had 17 penalties declined, while we've declined nine. So the "called" gap is actually 112-73.

Our opponents hold us less than once a game, even though our pass rush is tied for 4th in sacks and (checks advanced metrics on pro-football-reference.com https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/opp.htm#advanced_defense::16) is 3rd in number of QB pressures and 2nd in number of QB hurries in the entire league. Either the lesson is the other team should hold more, or they are getting away with crazy **** back there. You guys watch Cam Jordan -- what do your eyes tell you? How good would we look if the games were called straight up?

If I get some energy I'll try to do a follow-up on some other items.

Last edited:
Depressing? Try 26 years of marr-.....never mind.

Links between the articles now fixed, BTW.

There was also more data, but I was already up at 2:45 AM on a school night and just didn't have the gas for a Part 3....

Part 3 can happen today or another day this week. :) Watching a game for me has been at the point where I don't celebrate anything because nothing kills that buzz faster than a yellow cloth with a beanbag in it.

BTW, I'm in year 25 of marriage.

That's something that may be difficult to pin point but if you look at league averages per team for major penalties the Saints are well above the league YTD (year to date) average in every category which tells me that the Saints are NOT or very seldom getting the benefit of the doubt.

One thing I've noticed is that since the reversal of the PI non call that was reversed two weeks ago by a Panthers challenge I have seen three other much more blatant calls challenged in other games that were not overturned.

The rest of the league and the fans of other teams can laugh and say conspiracy theory all they want but the flack that the league has gotten from the non call against the Saints in the NFCCG last year hurt the Saints and it is continuing to hurt them.

I certainly agree with all you said, I just thought it would be even more telling If refs are keying in on certain penalties such as hands to the face, calling it on the Saints everytime but conveniently letting the falcons get away with the exact same technique. It just would add more context to the calls being one sided. We do commit a ton of penalties per game however, I would like to know how many are actually legit, because even the rebroadcast doesn't show the replays the majority of the time cause they know we are getting jobbed.

Last edited:
I certainly agree with all you said, I just thought it would be even more telling If refs are keying in on certain penalties such as hands to the face, calling it on the Saints everytime but conveniently letting the falcons get away with the exact same technique. It just would add more context to the calls being one sided.

That breakdown is in Part 2.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom