Article The Girod Street End Zone take on the penalty disparity (1 Viewer)

I certainly agree with all you said, I just thought it would be even more telling If refs are keying in on certain penalties such as hands to the face, calling it on the Saints everytime but conveniently letting the falcons get away with the exact same technique. It just would add more context to the calls being one sided. We do commit a ton of penalties per game however, I would like to know how many are actually legit, because even the rebroadcast doesn't show the replays the majority of the time cause the know we are getting jobbed.

Well for me it's just the sheer numbers of flags thrown against the Saints compared to the opponent of the week. I think the team is justifiably frustrated by it and they should be.

A for instance is the Carolina game a couple of weeks ago..............17 flags with 12 accepted penalties against the Saints and 5 flags with 2 accepted against the Panthers.

It turns out that on a weekly basis whatever team plays the Saints that week are the least penalized team in the league for that week.

I don't mind penalties because penalties happen in football but I would like to see games called fairly for BOTH teams. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to watch the Saints defensive line get tackled with no calls being made but the most frustrating thing is that it happens in every game.

I wonder how the NFL will defend this . . .

1d48fd27fc0fc8c404973adc371632ba.jpg

Depressing? Try 26 years of marr-.....never mind.

Links between the articles now fixed, BTW.

There was also more data, but I was already up at 2:45 AM on a school night and just didn't have the gas for a Part 3....a couple of tidbits:

We've had 17 penalties declined, while we've declined nine. So the "called" gap is actually 112-73.

Our opponents hold us less than once a game, even though our pass rush is tied for 4th in sacks and (checks advanced metrics on pro-football-reference.com https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/opp.htm#advanced_defense::16) is 3rd in number of QB pressures and 2nd in number of QB hurries in the entire league. Either the lesson is the other team should hold more, or they are getting away with crazy **** back there. You guys watch Cam Jordan -- what do your eyes tell you? How good would we look if the games were called straight up?

If I get some energy I'll try to do a follow-up on some other items.
I was going to bring this up that your great breakdown didn't factor in the flags that weren't accepted because their play was successful. The "just in case flags" you can call them. Look at the Carolina game and see how many that were declined or offsetting (the rogue Panther special teamer personal foul) and we still had about 123 yards in penalties to their 25. I'm still amazed that they picked up the extremely, extremely late, arrogantly tossed flag on the missed Carolina field goal.

And to your point about the false start ratio, the noise in the Superdome is a factor there.

And don't get me started on the fudging that goes on in ball placement - drives me crazy how a team can get nickel and dimed over the course of a game.

Outstanding blog, SJ. Thanks for all of the research, effort and on-point writing.

Yes, I'm worried. Been very worried for a while, now.

I've noticed the discrepancies in defensive pass interference calls for the Saints. Looking at the NFL Penalties website confirmed my thoughts. In 2015, Saints had the 8th most DPI called against us, but every year since we have been top 4 (with most in 2018). Other than 2018, we have had either the fewest or second fewest called in our favor. Since 2015, we have had DPI called against us (accepted and declined) a total of 71 times and in our favor only 35 times.

Brings up a good question: why watch?
1) Because of a 50+ year bond with a team, a game and a city I love.
2) A great camaraderie with friends at games and on this site.
3) A dumb, blind loyalty and glimmer of hope that this can be changed and the current situation improved.

My bond with the game has deteriorated significantly - hell the game is become unrecognizable. And it's taking its toll as I realistically see myself putting it behind me one day. I never thought that'd be the case. So, yeah, I may stop watching. Just not all the way there. Yet.

I was going to bring this up that your great breakdown didn't factor in the flags that weren't accepted because their play was successful. The "just in case flags" you can call them. Look at the Carolina game and see how many that were declined or offsetting (the rogue Panther special teamer personal foul) and we still had about 123 yards in penalties to their 25. I'm still amazed that they picked up the extremely, extremely late, arrogantly tossed flag on the missed Carolina field goal.

And to your point about the false start ratio, the noise in the Superdome is a factor there.

And don't get me started on the fudging that goes on in ball placement - drives me crazy how a team can get nickel and dimed over the course of a game.

Outstanding blog, SJ. Thanks for all of the research, effort and on-point writing.

Yes, I'm worried. Been very worried for a while, now.

Other teams have declined 17 penalties called on us, not included in the figure. We have declined nine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom