The GOAT thread (1 Viewer)

This one is so easily challengeable, but it's risky on this site because of 49er hate.
I'm sorry, but Jerry Rice is number two behind him.
Hutson not only played WR, he also played DB (had 23 INTS in his last 4 seasons alone) and kicked field goals. He was a true iron man. He played offense, defense, and special teams in every game. He made all his receiving records in a league (including his own team) that was built on the run, not the pass.
In 11 seasons, Hutson led the league in receiving yards 7 times (4 times consecutively, still a record), in receptions 8 times (consecutively, still a record), and in receiving TDs 9 times (still a record, Rice is second at 6 times). Of those three stats, he finished in the top three 32 out of 33 times in those 11 seasons.
Hutson also led the league in scoring 5 times, which is a still record, and he did it five years in a row.

Rice broke Hutson's records but he didn't break the TD and yardage records until he'd played several more games than Hutson played (remember that Rice played 16 game seasons where all of Hutson's were 12 game seasons).
Hutson missed four games in his career, so he played 128 games.
Largent first broke Hutson's TD record in his 200th game.
Rice caught his 100th TD pass in his 144th game.

My favourite Hutson moment is an interview that I believe was in the late 1980s after Rice had broken a few of his records. He was asked, "If you were playing today, what kind of stats do you think you would put up?"
He answered with a very moderate yards, reception and TD numbers, which made the interviewer frown and ask, "Why do you say such low numbers?"
Hutson answered, "Well, you have to remember I'm nearly 80 now."

I'm sorry, but Jerry Rice is number two behind him.
Hutson not only played WR, he also played DB (had 23 INTS in his last 4 seasons alone) and kicked field goals. He was a true iron man. He played offense, defense, and special teams in every game. He made all his receiving records in a league (including his own team) that was built on the run, not the pass.
In 11 seasons, Hutson led the league in receiving yards 7 times (4 times consecutively, still a record), in receptions 8 times (consecutively, still a record), and in receiving TDs 9 times (still a record, Rice is second at 6 times). Of those three stats, he finished in the top three 32 out of 33 times in those 11 seasons.
Hutson also led the league in scoring 5 times, which is a still record, and he did it five years in a row.

Rice broke Hutson's records but he didn't break the TD and yardage records until he'd played several more games than Hutson played (remember that Rice played 16 game seasons where all of Hutson's were 12 game seasons).
Hutson missed four games in his career, so he played 128 games.
Largent first broke Hutson's TD record in his 200th game.
Rice caught his 100th TD pass in his 144th game.

My favourite Hutson moment is an interview that I believe was in the late 1980s after Rice had broken a few of his records. He was asked, "If you were playing today, what kind of stats do you think you would put up?"
He answered with a very moderate yards, reception and TD numbers, which made the interviewer frown and ask, "Why do you say such low numbers?"
Hutson answered, "Well, you have to remember I'm nearly 80 now."

Whether or not you played DB (or were a curler) has nothing to do with whether you are the GOAT WR.

Bill Russell.

11 NBA rings in 13 years

Five MVPs (as many as MJ, if you're keeping score at home)

Two NCAA titles

21-0 in "loser goes home" games

Forget the sport -- if you are talking "GOAT winner," this is your guy.

Who didn't see this coming? :rolleyes:

For me, Theodore Roosevelt is the other answer, but it's hard to argue against Lincoln.
FDR gets a few votes too I’m sure but if it’s a Family Feud question Abe’s the number one answer with 90+

FDR gets a few votes too I’m sure but if it’s a Family Feud question Abe’s the number one answer with 90+
Actually, FDR gets my vote as worst President of all time and it isn't even close. Teddy was brilliant and a boon to this country; FDR was a disaster we're still paying for.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Nolan Ryan yet, but I would definitely put him as GOAT for MLB pitching.
The only thing he's "lacking" is number of wins, but when you at how many seasons he spent with terrible teams with zero offense, losing games 1-0 or getting no decisions because the bullpens screwed up the games, that part becomes obvious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom